Gift for my Son Finished

Started by Gun Butcher, February 04, 2010, 09:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Their is still alot of work to do to these,the button covers needs to be sewn and the buckle ends have to be stamped and finished, but I thought I would show them to you all now.
They are for my youngest son to go with my old spurs that he has. Hope you like them.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Johnny McCrae

Wow! Those are beautiful! Great design with excellent workmanship. You son will be very proud to wear these.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Gun Butcher

Thanks Johnny, I was a little afraid of that basketweave stamp so I actually did a couple of practice pieces first. Very unusual for me :-[
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboy316

GB
well doe set of straps i like the design  A++++++++++++
keep it up
Cowboy316

Gun Butcher

Cowboy, I appreciate the kind words Pard.  I almost went with a set of dove wings like you made but I had a pair of those one time and they were always a bear to get on and off.

Kid Terico

GB great work,   nice color. U really know how to spoil your kids. :)  KT

Freedom

Wow That is very nice!!.. So how is that made?? The rimmed concho; is that a two piece?? You sure did well in getting everything lined up. Basket looks nice, and it sre looks clean.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

I have a pair with HUGE conchos on them.I want to keep the conchos on but the straps are way to big for the boot.I wear an 8 the guy i got them from must have worn dozer tracks..

Nice job ya did for the son he will defenatley cherish those.My old man never gave me anything except boots and they were,well you know where they were... :-[
Bunch a ole scudders!

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

EE Taft

18 years of doing basket weave stamps and I still screw 'em up sometimes....... Don't let 'em bug ya.

Ya done good, Dad.

~EE taft~
Hell fire, I done mosey'd inta tha red light district!
SASS#87087

The grass ain't no greener on tha other side....I done been over there and looked.

http://www.cascity.com/posse/cgi/pm.cgi?action=display&login=EE_Taft&session=RUVfVGFmdHw5MTQ5MzEzMTR8MTI2NTM2NTgxNQ

Wiley Desperado

GB, very good lookin spur straps I like the basket weave and the color.  I really like that idea of the concho. Your son will enjoy having them for sure.

I have seen conchos over the spur button hole like that is there a special concho made for that purpose? Where do you attach the concho in relation to the spur button hole?  :-\ Thanks for any info.

Wiley ;D

Gun Butcher

Good morning all, I guess I slept late this mornin.  Kid, Freedom, Rick,WC,EE, and WIley thanks much.

Freedom and Wiley that is  two pieces in the button area. rather than try and explain it I will just post a picture. Well I guess I will explain since my camera battery is dead.
The top with the concho is sewn to the body of the strap around the buttonhole. They can be very hard to get on the button especially with thicker leather  I just use a regular concho screwed to the top piece.
That sounds clear as mud. I will try and get a picture later.

Gun Butcher

Here is the picture I promised. Hope this makes it a little clearer.  I skived the edges of the slit in the buttonhole to make it a little easier to get on the button.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Good looking straps GB, your Son will LOOOOOVVVE Them

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

Thanks TW.  These are for a pair of "Roy" cutter style spurs that I thought were lost. He was given them by an old friend of mine, that I loaned them to 35 yrs ago, when he visited his mom a few weeks ago.
I guarantee it will be the fanciest pair of straps those spurs have ever had on them because I sure couldn't afford anything like that when I was a working cowboy.

Marshal Will Wingam

Those straps are really good-looking. You're giving a new heirloom, there. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

larrupin

GB those look awesome!!!

The more I look at that picture the more impressed I am.
Everything is so even and precise, stamping, cutting, all of it.
That is some fine workmanship and I really appreciate you showing how the button cover works.

I made some spur straps for my son and I really had trouble cutting all those round areas round and smooth.
Really had more trouble with them than all the holsters and belts.
Good spur straps are harder than they look.

Take care,

Larrupin

Gun Butcher

Thanks Marshal Will, I hope he will feel that way about them.
Larrupin, I appreciate the kind words pard.

Well, here is the finished picture. If everyone will forgive me for saying so I even like these :-[

Johnny McCrae

Howdy GB,

Outstanding! A great design with excellent workmanship. The two tone look around the Concho is well done. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com