Engraving Question

Started by Coal Creek Griff, February 03, 2010, 02:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coal Creek Griff

I'm thinking of taking the side plate from my Uberti '73 rifle to a local engraving place (the kind that engraves plaques or trophies--not a gun engraver) and seeing if they'll engrave my initials.  I would probably have to cold-blue the engraved areas (or leave them alone). 

Is that a ridiculous idea or a great one?  I would also like to have my name engraved on the back strap of my revolvers.  Does that seem like it would work?  It seems like it would be less expensive than sending it to a specialized gun engraver.  (I'm kind of embarrassed to ask because it might be a dumb idea.)

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

St. George

Hardly a dumb idea - 'but' - you need to see the available fonts.

Some lettering is distinctly 'modern', and doesn't look right on a weapon.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Deadeye Dick

CCG,
Be aware that doing so may reduce the value of your firearms if you're planning to trade or resell them in the future.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Coal Creek Griff

Thanks, gents.  I'm hoping that I can find an appropriate font.  I also only plan to engrave a couple of guns--the ones I don't think I'll ever sell.  I was just hoping that there wasn't some kind of issue I was overlooking like specially hardened steel or something.

I might look for photos of old guns with similar engraving (it seems to have been fairly popular in the old days--at least on revolvers) and see if I can get a similar font style.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Forty Rod

I had that done years ago.  Not as deep as 'cut' or 'engraved' work, but doesn't look bad.  Left mine 'in the white'.

I wanted some plates done for trophies recently and had to look for anyone who still uses a 'stylus' type cutter.  Most use lasers now and the few who do have styluses won't use them on steel. (Or solid gold or gold alloys, or solid silver etc.  Liability stuff, I'm told.)  

Things Remembered (Closest one to you seems to be in Olympia) might do it, but it's pretty much up to the individual store manager.  Took about an hour for two dog-tag sized plates, cost about $40.00 with tax.

Look around and you might find someone who can and will handle it.  Good luck.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

John Taylor

Check with Dale Woody at http://gunfancy.com/. He is good and his prices are not bad.
John Taylor, gunsmith

St. George

You can always buy a spare sideplate and engrave that.

I had had two backstraps done some time ago - but they never looked 'right', so they were buffed smooth and re-blued.

The engraver used my rough-sketch pencil drawing as his template, and didn't do any cleaning up of the lettering, and the .05mm pencil marks were engraved.

I had had higher expectations...

Maybe a pair of 'good' grips instead will fill your desire to have something 'personal'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Coal Creek Griff

Thanks again for the advice.  I'll have to contact Mr. Woody--he lives just up the road a bit from me, although I hadn't heard of him before...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

GunClick Rick

I want my initials on my Golden Palimino :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Forty Rod

IIRC that is a cover that can be removed from the receiver.  If so, why not take it off and go on over to a place like Things Remembered or a top-of-the-line trophy shop and talk to them about it?  You don't have to buy at the first place you visit... or at all... if you don't find exactly what you want.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Coal Creek Griff

Actually, I've been thinking of engraving the backstrap of my favorite revolvers for years, but the idea of the sideplate came just last week when I watched "Crossfire Trail" for the first time...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Coal Creek Griff

Dale Woody (see above) says that, since the rifle is color-case hardened, the side plate would have to be annealed prior to engraving, then re-colored afterwards.

I had thought that the Uberti "color-case hardening" was just a cosmetic finish and not a true hardening.  Was I misinformed?

Thanks.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Forty Rod

I had Kelly Laster hand engrave my phoenix totem on the side plate of a '76 last year.  He quoted me a price sight unseen and neither of us thought about it being case hardened until I brought to him the next day.  He wore out some cutters doing it, but wouldn't raise his price, even though I'm sure he sure wouldn't take another job like it at the same price.

He didn't anneal the plate, either, just cut it freehand and perfectly.

I recommend him highly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com