Pedersoli 45-90

Started by buckeyed, February 03, 2010, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckeyed

lookin to work up a new load for my sharps and would like to try the biglube MK111 not ready to start casting yet but would like to find someone that is and have some for sell  Thanks buckeye

bear tooth billy

I have a Paul Jones mold that casts a 540 grain bullet.I don,t have a lot of good lead so I
don,t want to get in the business of selling bullets but I beleive Cabelas sells them.Then if you like them you
can buy the #45001 mold. They shoot great in my 45/90 Shiloh out to 1000 yds
                 BTB
Born 110 years too late

Ranch 13

Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

J.D. Yellowhammer

Another good source is http://www.buffaloarms.com.

I can attest to the quality of Sageoutfitters, too. Top notch bullets.

I don't know anything about the biglube, but I have a suspicion you'd do better with proven designs like the Paul Jones and Creedmore bullets, over 500 gr. 
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

buckeyed

Been us'n the P.J creedmoore 540gr. for awhile now  tryed to order somemore from Buff. arms but thay are out of stock and have know idea when it will be so I have some from sagebrush on tha way in about 3 weeks >:(

Trailrider

Does anyone know the rifling twist rate of the Ped's?  The original .45-90 WCF was an "express" M1886, with a slooow twist 1-32".  These wouldn't stabilize longer (heavier) bullets than about 385 gr.  Presumably, the Italian-made rifles have faster twist barrels.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Ranch 13

The pedersoli's have a 18 twist.
Sharps actually chambered the 2.4 case (45-90) in the early goings and when they closed shop the 45-90 was the standard chambering of their long range rifles.
Winchester picked up on alot of the original sharps stuff after Sharps closed their doors. Winchester also sold loaded ammunition and components for the Sharps cartridge's before they had a rifle of their own that could handle the big cases.

john boy

Buckeye ... read this thread about the MK III at 600yds ... http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21434.0.html
Then read this thread about the Mini Groove Bullet at 1000 yds ... http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13660
The decision is yours!
You can buy the Mini Groove bullets here ... http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7193111/7452125.htm

OK, the 1000yd Mini Groove was in a 45-70.  I bought another Pedersoli and had it chambered to 45-90.  First test run with the Mini at 300yds ... 200yd Chicken 4 out of 5 with close to a 3" group.  Have 100 loaded for it's 1000 yd test next month at Ridgway Range.  Haven't been able to test them at our club's 600 yd range because the berms are being reconstructed

And in addition, Dr Keith Lay with his 45-90 Creedmoor and the Mini - whumped the other match shooters at the 2009 Creedmoor Match in AZ (800-900-1000yds)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Delmonico

I'm going to add this, just personal, but I hate it when folk's call the 45-2.4 round a 45-90, the 45-90 is an express round using a 300 grain bullet and a slow twist rifling.  Both rounds use the same case, but they are not the same round.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Ranch 13

;D Actually if you want to get real technical, its the 45/100 caliber 2 and 4/10ths case using 90 grs of powder and a 500 gr patched bullet. ;D

Delmonico

Quote from: Ranch 13 on April 08, 2010, 07:05:25 PM
;D Actually if you want to get real technical, its the 45/100 caliber 2 and 4/10ths case using 90 grs of powder and a 500 gr patched bullet. ;D

That works also, at least we need to understand it's different than that Winchester Express round, always wondered if Winchester thought with some of those rounds they were Roy Weatherby before his time. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

rustyrelx

Ranch 13: to be more technical: the 45 2.4 can be loaded up with up to 110 grains powder in different granulations. Its all in the compression of what bullet is used. 292 to 550. Note that the paper patched stuff stuck out of the case a lot, usually only 1/8" inserted.
Dell: I totally in agreement with you. A pet peeve of mine also. People need to use the correct nomenclature of what it is. Misinformation is abundent without adding to confusion.
45 2 1/10
45 2.4
45 2.6
45 2 7/8
All can be a 45-90 take your pick.
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com