Boolits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Silver Creek Slim, May 20, 2005, 10:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

I went to Dick Dastardly's ranch to learn to cast boolits, yesterday. He showed me how to melt down the WW's, get the clips out with a magnet, skim the "junk" off the top, and make ingots. He then showed me how to smoke the mould, operate the casting pot, pour lead into the mould, cut the spue, and drop the boolits outta the mould. It was great! Before we got rained out we cast 600 .44 MAV's. I want to publicly thank Dick for teaching me how to cast boolits.  ;D

Slim(soon to be a casting fool) ;D
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

john boy

Slim, nice to hear that you had a great time with the Dastardly One! ;D  Now, lube em up and Shoot Straight!

PS:  Nice to hear that the O' Famous One is using the magnet trick too.  Works great digging only WW's out of the dirty WW bucket and clips out of the melt pot.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Silver Creek Slim

I might pan lube and load 'em fer tomorrow's match. I'll have to see if I have time tonight.

That magnet works great.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Pukin Dog

Slim,
Sorry I missed out on the casting party yesterday with you.  Damn work keeps getting in the way.  I'll have to stop that on of these days! :)

Anyway, good to hear that DD taught another pard the pleasures of smelting the plubobium.  It's all the little tricks that make casting fun and rewarding.  I think it would be pretty frustrating trying to figure it all out on your own.

Anyway,
I'll have to make up a batch of home brew and we'll have another castin' party next month perhaps?
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Pukin Dog on May 20, 2005, 10:29:21 AM
Slim,
Sorry I missed out on the casting party yesterday with you.  Damn work keeps getting in the way.  I'll have to stop that on of these days! :)

Anyway, good to hear that DD taught another pard the pleasures of smelting the plubobium.  It's all the little tricks that make casting fun and rewarding.  I think it would be pretty frustrating trying to figure it all out on your own.

Anyway,
I'll have to make up a batch of home brew and we'll have another castin' party next month perhaps?
We'll have to see. Work might get in my way.  :(

Slim

john boy

Slim, did that Ole Rascal tell you about the pan lube tip of putting the pan in the freezer before you punch em out?  If not, try it.  They jump out of the 45-70 case like a pop gun.  And ... makes reloading them easier cause the lube is 'solidified' if you reload right after you punch them out.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Cousin Slim, you and DD are not helping my resolve to remain a heathen!

Sounds like you had fun and learned a lot, good for you both!

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: john boy on May 20, 2005, 01:24:26 PM
Slim, did that Ole Rascal tell you about the pan lube tip of putting the pan in the freezer before you punch em out?  If not, try it.  They jump out of the 45-70 case like a pop gun.  And ... makes reloading them easier cause the lube is 'solidified' if you reload right after you punch them out.
The way I am doing it, if I let them solidify and push the case down to cut out the boolit, the lube "cake" cracks and pulls the lube outta the groove. So, I let it set up just enough to cut them out and not crack the "cake".

Slim

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: AnnieLee on May 20, 2005, 01:30:28 PM
Cousin Slim, you and DD are not helping my resolve to remain a heathen!

Sounds like you had fun and learned a lot, good for you both!

:D

AnnieLee
(Deep breathing as if wearing a mask  :D) The Darkside is fun. Come to the Darkside.  ;D

Slim

Howdy Doody

SCS, yer gonna be hooked now fer shore :) I found that casting is a bunch of fun and saves me bucks. About the only thing I don't care for is the lubing part. I have my own drill for every style bullet I cast. I pan lube Snakebites, use a lubersizer for PRS and the DD big guys. Pan lubing works for a lot of bullets faster, but I have to keep playing with the lube a lot. Like I remelt every 100 bullets. Lubersizer does two things, sizing and lubing. I find the single bullet at a time thing boring.
Last night was bunco night here. Sounded like a hen house and I was sentenced to the shop for 2 1/2 hrs. I got some dessert though. :-\ So in 2 1/2 hours I lubed 100 PRS bullets, sized and measured out powder into 100 cases, topped off the 100 with a nice breakfast food and then applied the PRS bullets and crimped. All on a single stage press. It took me that long. Fun though. I like playing with myself out there in the shop. ;D Did I say that? Well, anyway, you are now in for some of the same enjoyment.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Foothills Drifter

Quote from: Doodyville Dude on May 20, 2005, 09:58:19 PM
. Fun though. I like playing with myself out there in the shop. ;D Did I say that? Well, anyway, you are now in for some of the same enjoyment.

Howdy......
:o  :o  :o  ;)

Good shootin......
Vern... ;D
[/color]

john boy

Slim, if I may.  The Perfect Pan Lube!
Turn the oven on to 225 degrees .  Set your bullets in the pan so none of them are touching.  Pour melted lube in the pan up to the top of the front lube groove.  Put the pan with all the stuff in the oven.  When you touch a bullet with your finger and it is hot to the touch ... take the pan out of the oven and put it in the freezer.

Have never had a badly lubed bullet doing this unless ... the bullets touched in the pan.  This creates an issue trying to punch them out.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Silver Creek Slim

Thanks pards.

It is satisfying to be able to do one more step in the reloading process by myself. My money belt likes it too.  ;D

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com