Practicing Leather Working

Started by Johnny McCrae, January 26, 2010, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy Johnny, I agree with the others, mighty fine work. Like AC says it really pops out at you, you can see great depth there. I agree that a single size spot would look better, but then spots are really subjective; someone else might like the alternating look better. It all depemds on the guy wearing them; if he's happy, that's all that matters. I look forward to seeing the "real deal".JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny McCrae

I combined everything I've learned so far from the practice panels and made a complete practice Holster. Now it's time to start my new rig. The Concho was an after thought. I'll use a smaller Concho on the next one.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

I know Conchos are a matter of personal taste, but I like the size you have on it now. Just MHO

Gun Butcher

Johnny that looks real good. I have to agree with JD, I like the concho that you have on it. But, I also think a smaller one would look good also. Great work, Thanks for showing us.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboywc

Howdy Pard
That is one good lookin holster. I like that size concho also.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks for the kind words.

The reason I want to use a smaller Concho is the curvature of the pouch. The 1" diameter Concho seems to leave less of a gap than a 1-1/4" diameter concho.  Please see the attached sketch. Has anyone else had this problem with Concho's on a curved surface? Any suggestions?
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Johnny, that sounds and looks like a good reason to use a smaller diameter Concho. I used a thin silver plated diamond on my last holster, and I had to bend it to fit the curve of the holster. It was thin enough that I could bend it to where I needed it to be.

Bending a round Concho is a whole other matter! If it can be done, WC or some other pro will surely give you some good advice.

Good luck friend, the holster looks real nice, JD

Gun Butcher

Heck Johnny, now that I see the smaller concho on that design I like it much better. It seems to be a better balance to the overall look.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

I see your problem, the concho's edge/rim is right over the bend in the holster, a smaller concho or even a rosette of spots might work better, otherwise you might have to rework the pattern so that the center area where you have the concho now is moved closer to towards the seam line in a flatter area, just my .02 cents worth, I've also used small leather washers that you can make yourself, and I've either put them under the screw to force the leather into the dome of the concho, or put the washer under the dome of the concho, this will always make a tighter fitting concho, but in your case, I think there is just too much rim of the concho over the bend in the leather. All in all this holster looks great nice lines good color and your carving and spots are well done.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

Hey Johny, I was paying so much attention to the Concho problem I didn't even see the smaller one our your sample piece.

I agree with Gun Butcher, the smaller one looks great. Keep up the good work!

JD

Marshal Will Wingam

That holster looks good, Johnny. As to the concho, I like both sizes just fine. For that matter, you could put them both on it and still look good. It'll be nice to see the finished rig.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Arizona Cattleman

Johnny, I have used a leather rosette under the concho which helps soften the gap.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

MontanaSlick

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on February 05, 2010, 08:37:44 AM
Many thanks for the kind words.

The reason I want to use a smaller Concho is the curvature of the pouch. The 1" diameter Concho seems to leave less of a gap than a 1-1/4" diameter concho.  Please see the attached sketch. Has anyone else had this problem with Concho's on a curved surface? Any suggestions?

Johnny, I use a 1" concho and a 5/8 on each side on a one strap holster.

What if you use the same sizes but 5/8 on top and bottom of the 1" concho

Hers my BB rig with the conchos as I mentioned

Just wanted to share some thoughts, yer rig is great, I want 2 of em.

MS

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Pards,
Many thanks for all of the kind words and suggestions. You gents have me thinking. I'm going to do a mock-up of just the section of the pouch where the Concho goes. If I can not get it to look or fit good, I'll leave the Concho off.

Montana Slick,
That is a mighty fine lookin' rig!

MontanaSlick

Thanks Johnny, keep us up to date on yer progress and a pik er 2

MS

Dr. Bob

Hey Johnny, that practice holster looks GREAT!!  Can't wait to see the finished rig!!  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Wiley Desperado

Johnny, That is a really good looking holster.  I am looking forward to seeing the finshed rig. 
Wiley 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com