Practicing Leather Working

Started by Johnny McCrae, January 26, 2010, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

As I mentioned, I am going to switch to a RH & LH Strong side rig for the upcoming season. I've been experimenting with different styles and designs. Now it's time to concentrate on the appearance. I tried to learn how to carve on my own but only got frustrated. I needed to get some instruction and have taken three carving classes at my local Tandy store so far. The instructor is an elderly gentleman (actually older than me) with 48 years of Carving experience. The first class was on the use of the swivel knife, the second on the use of tools such as the beveler, veiner, pear shader etc., the third was tying everything together and making a flower.

I went home to practice and work on the appearance of my new rig. What I started doing is cutting the shape of the Holster front panel from a piece of scrap leather and trying different designs. What this does for me is to make my practicing more meaningful. When I just practiced on small scraps of leather, I had a tendency to rush and not do a decent job. With the practice panels, I take my time. Also I get an accurate idea of how the finished Holster will look. Attached are pictures practice panels. I'm not where I want to be yet but I'm getting a little closer to the look I want to achieve.

Panel #1 was done before I took before I took the second class. It was soaked in Walnut dye, followed by Neet's and Skidmore's. Panel's #2, #3 and #4 were done after the third class.  Panel #2 has  Neet's and Skidmore's on it. Panel #4 just has Neet's on it.  Panel #3 was done with Fiebing's Saddle Tan Oil dye. It's way too dark and I'm glad I found this out on a practice panel. I'll use my home brewed Walnut dye for the new rig.

Panel #4 has the overall shape and design that I will use. Panel #4 also has some experimenting with different backgrounds and beveling. I'll use one style only when l make what hopefully is a final practice panel complete with spots and stitching.

I have a long long way to go and still a lot to learn about carving but I'm having fun. Well now it's back to the practice bench.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy all

Johnny talk to me about these practice panels and he wanted to know what I thought about posting them, I said it would be great, and it was a super idea for all of us, so thanks Johnny for sharing your method of practice panels with us, this is something any one can do and it puts more meaning into your work.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Very good Johnny!
I like the fact that you are practicing what you have learned, and doing better each time.

I also like that panel idea. Thats great for folks that want to show available patterns for customers. Have those sitting on a gun show table, as opposed to finished holsters that could walk away. Lot easier to pack away too.

Not to mention, its just great practice and looks good.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Johnny McCrae

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot to mention about this being a way to build a library of samples showing final finishes, carving, stamping, decoration etc. Also forgot to mention that this is teaching me patience.... something that I really lack.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

I've learned not to pray for patience. Careful what you ask for is what I found out :P

Seriously, Johnny, that's a great idea. I've been doing it that way for a while just to figure out what fits and how it would look on the shape of a holster. You're doing an excellent job with those.

I want to do more of a traditional western floral or Sheridan style on the next set I make for myself, so I'm hacking away at it. Cowboy 316 sent me a practice piece he did as an example, from the mouse pad he showed us.

He's doing excellent work, as are you Johnny, so keep on posting!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

cowboywc

Howdy Johnny
Practice is the only way to get better. Finding a way to make it fun helps.
Keep up the good work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Arizona Cattleman

Great  idea Johnny, I really like Panel 3's carving.  Very original and well proportioned.  Good Job, you have taught me something.

PS I don't have much patience either.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Wiley Desperado

Johnny, the panels are a great idea  :) and your carving is lookin good pard.  ;D
WD

Kid Terico

Johnny Nice idea on the sample. Carving looks good. I like the darkened no. 3. KT

Marshal Will Wingam

What a good idea, Johnny. That practice is giving you some great reference samples. Your tooling is really looking good. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

MontanaSlick

Great work Johnny, they all look good, kinda leaning to #2 and #4, and then,I like all of them.

Got more?

Slick

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Montana,
I'm working a practice panel now that hopefully will be the final one for my new rig. With TW's help and advice, I've selected a few more stamps to try out. I'll be sure to post this when it is finished. 

MontanaSlick

Johnny, I kin see yer taking to leather like a duck takes to water.

Have to finish my new billet fer B.Beauty, had to replace the old one when I resized the rig.

Loosing weight is fun sometimes, less meds. YEEEHAAA

MS

outrider

Johnny,

Hey pardner...those panels are very well done....as WC says..."practice makes perfect"...so keep at it...lookin forward to seeing more of them...
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Here is a picture of #5. I'm not quite there yet. The benefit from these practice panels for me is this. I make my mistakes on scrap leather and get a pretty good idea how the design will look.

I tried alternating the spots between 1/4" and 3/8". I don't like the look and will go with all 1/4" spots. I also need to watch the placement of the carving and do a better job of locating the spots.

I need to do a better job on the Rosette. I think the Rosette should be done before the carving. Taking my time and focusing better especially on beveling also needs to be worked on.

In high school I had a side business pin-striping & flame-painting cars and motorcycles. Even after fifty years this still seems to shows up in my designs. I'm shooting for a period look and hope I don't get too far off the track.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

Your test panels are a great way to see what you think you want before you actually decide, this one is very nice, and your caving looks good too, the flame work on your bike is awesome, I knew you were good at design, this will be a big help to you with your leather work. All in all you are improving all the time, well done pard.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

Boy Johnny, I really like that pattern, really jumps out at ya, and have never seen another like it.  Great job, if thats the one you end up using it will make a great set of holsters.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Gun Butcher

I agree with the other pards. Your flame work has not hurt your leather design at all. I really like it and with your permission will add it to my pattern library.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

I also like that design, Johnny. Your flame experience seems to have given you greater visual sense of what to do. Very nice.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com