Looking for wide belt webbing

Started by JD Alan, January 25, 2010, 12:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy Gents. I'm looking for belt webbing wider than any of the sites listed in the FAQ's section have. The widest any of them seem to have is 2 inches, and I need at least 2 1/2 inches and three would be better. I want to make a shotgun belt out of the webbing with leather loops mounted on the webbing.

I know the stuff exists because I've seen shotgun belts made with it. They have leather billets sewn on either end with leather loops sewn or riveted  on. 

Any ideas? Please let me know.Thanks very much, JD     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Angel_Eyes

I don't know if they are available over the pond, but a '57 Pattern, British Army web belt would seem to be just what you are looking for.

I have seen them in our local military surplus outlets and quite cheap too. In fact, I still have the last one I was issued with, from my last posting in Germany, (somewhere).

The type of stuff you are looking for was also extensively used for lifting strops and tie-downs on palleted supplies for airborne drops.

Hope this has given you some idea's.

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

FEATHERS

G'Day Pastor,Found this website they may be what are after www.seatlelfabrics.com/webbing.html    they show their product up to 4'' wide.Feathers

Ned Buckshot

Feathers, the link doesn't work. Keeps comin up web site not found?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,
You might want to try this link  http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?cov=NA&which=prod&what=webbing&heading=93110807
It is the Webbing section from the Thomas Register Industrial Directory. Your local library may have a copy of the Thomas Register to browse thru.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Skeeter Lewis

JD Alan

Skeetr & Johnny you both jumped in while I was writing the response below. Thanks very much

I believe it's because it's missing one "t" in the name. It's the same company listed on our FAQ page, Seattle Fabrics. I've been over that site from one end to the other and I can't find any natual cotton webbing in anything other than 2 inch wide. They've got nylon stuff in all sorts of wild colors but not cotton, canvas, or anything like it that I can find. They have 1 1/4 inch Military belt material though.    

Angel Eyes, Feathers, Ned, I appreciate all of your efforts, JD  

Skeeter Lewis

JD Alan

I see some possibilities, but it looks like you have to buy 50 yards at a time.  :-\

I seem to remember some Pards here talking about doubling up two layers and sewing them together, sort of like a money belt to get the proper weight of belt. I guess I need to do some more digging. I also remember talk of used fire hose. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks very much, JD

JD Alan

This is something like I want to build, only with double shell loops instead of singles

Ned Buckshot

JD, I found a place that lists cotton webbing in both white and natural but they don't list prices or quantities. I emailed for more information. I'll let you know what I found out.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Johnny McCrae

JD,
I built a shotgun belt for myself several years ago that is the opposite of what you want to make. Attached is a picture of it along with my "Quigley" belt. They both use 1-1/4" wide cotton webbing that I buy from a local Army surplus store.

If you find you need to buy a minimum quantity of the 3" wide material, depending on the cost I'd go in with you on a purchase.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

litl rooster

Quote from: JD Alan on January 25, 2010, 06:46:47 AM
I see some possibilities, but it looks like you have to buy 50 yards at a time.  :-\

I seem to remember some Pards here talking about doubling up two layers and sewing them together, sort of like a money belt to get the proper weight of belt. I guess I need to do some more digging. I also remember talk of used fire hose. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks very much, JD

Seen them here made of Fire Hose.  Hose that won't pass inspection should be picked up pretty cheap at your local volunteer station.
Mathew 5.9

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, you might try a surplus store, I ask a pard that had one in his store a couple years ago, where he one could get the canvas webbing, and he said it was surplus FIRE HOSE, and it really made a great looking belt, and the width was pretty wide too.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Firehose you say? Hmm. I happen to have a roll of the smaller hose sitting around here. Do you know if they do anything with the rubber lining on the inside? Or are they using a different firehose?
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ned Buckshot

I have read where people that use fire hose cut it to length and then pull out the rubber lining.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Dalton Masterson on January 25, 2010, 09:26:47 AM
Firehose you say? Hmm. I happen to have a roll of the smaller hose sitting around here. Do you know if they do anything with the rubber lining on the inside? Or are they using a different firehose?
DM

Dalton the fire hose I saw on this belt didn't appear to have any rubber in it, but I really don't know for sure, the guy used the hole hose, it was just flatten out if there was a rubber liner in it I couldn't tell by looking at it, the pard that made it did a great job, and it looked a lot like the belt JD posted, but it had shot gun and bullet loops, and a blue strip running through the center of the hose, it really looked nice, and it was heavy duty enough to last a life time.

Ten  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

FEATHERS

G'Day JD,Spoke to  friend of mine thats an upholsterer he said you can get webbing in jute,rubber or poly that are 3 1/2'' wide in a variety of colors.Feathers

GunClick Rick

When i was with the forestry fightin fires in the mountains,they woulkd split it and whip us with the rubber side to get us up the hill and chop line..I had to keep my Captains spit toon clean and on the dash of the fire truck too. ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com