Beretta Laramie

Started by Texas Lawdog, January 19, 2010, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Ketchum

Gee I remember years ago Skeeter Skelton had a Ruger Blackhawk converted from 357 to 44 special....might be  a possibility to convert the Laramie to 44 Russian!

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

St. George

I'd hate to think about sinking that kind of money into an Italian clone...

Better to wait - and find a disgruntled C&WAS shooter who's ridding himself of his shooting battery.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

kcub

ordered a consecutive serial numbered pair of .38s blued 6.5" since the price was right at CDNN

I figure I can shoot 200 grain .38s and it will be about like a .44

2 other sets left

and one 5" .45 nickel

now for a Jesse James rig

anyone have one less expensive than El Paso Saddlery?

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: kcub on April 16, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
ordered a consecutive serial numbered pair of .38s blued 6.5" since the price was right at CDNN

I figure I can shoot 200 grain .38s and it will be about like a .44

2 other sets left

and one 5" .45 nickel

Look up a member on here by the name of Ten Wolves Five Shooter.  He has done alot of leather work for me and his quality and prices out do El Paso Saddlery (& I have 4 rigs from El Paso Saddlery as well . . . which are all very nice.)   If you can't find him, send me a PM and I'll get his contact info for you.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

kcub

My Laramies came in, they are beautiful.  I like the sights better than the Russian but I like the flatter Russian grips better.  I wonder if they fit, I'll have to check that out. Either is better than the Schofield as is the balance to me.  But topbreaks are like women, they're all great.

The hammer strikes seem really light, I hope they work OK.

Irish Dave

There are repro black S&W "hard rubber" grips available from Dixie Gun Works that will fit the Laramies with very little work. They are thinner, checkered, have the S&W logo and are generally prefereable (to my taste) to the fencepost grips that come with the Laramie.

Just a coupla centavos worth...

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Texas Lawdog

Thank you Irish Dave for the info on the grips for the Laramie. Those black ones  will make it look more PC than the wood ones do.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

kcub

Texas Lawdog

CDNN is the outfit that I got my Laramie from.  They only had 45 Colt and 38spl. They were out of 45s when I bought mine. I got a nickel plated 38spl.  I got a set of the Tomstone grips for the Laramie, the Ivory ones with cut out stars.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Irish Dave

No problem. If you order the DGW grips you also need to order the screw/escutcheon set to go with it. Typically there's just some minor file work needed in the medallion area and drilling new grip pin holes in the grip.

Here's a shot of one of mine with the DGW grips on it. Hope it helps.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Texas Lawdog

Good Picture of the gun and grips, Irish Dave. I'm planning on ordering some items from DGW next week.

Pancho Peacemaker

The wood Beretta/Uberti uses on the factory grips is very nice walnut that has nice figure which is all covered up by that nasty red stain and varnish (this is usually true for the Uberti rifles stocks as well.)

I had my pard Keno Slim (gripmaker extraordinaire) strip the factory grips and carve his fishscale checkering pattern into them and then apply an oil finish.

This process costs as much as aftermarket grips and I like the look it gives the grips.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Texas Lawdog

Pancho, That guy is a true craftsman.

Irish Dave

Those look good, Pancho. Your pard does a nice job.

We've got a fellow up here (around Terre Haute) that does similar stuff. He works alot with ivory and also with laser-engraved wood. Some of that stuff is amazing as well.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

kcub

Awesome checkering work for sure.  I sure like my Navy Arms Russian grips and I'm starting to question their origin; I bought the gun used so I know not.  These grips look different than every other picture of a repro Russian I have seen in that they are nicely figured, flat sided, and smooth.

Well, I got to shoot my .38 Laramies yesterday and am very pleased with them.  I was worried because one of them was sticking during cocking every once in a while but I encountered no such problems. I know you have to stay away from the trigger during cocking which is not the problem I encountered.  Just out of the box stiffness to break in I reckon.  CDNN said they would have taken them back and sent me a new consecutive numbered pair if there was a problem just to mention what kind of excellent customer service they have.

They both shoot dead on at 15 yards with 130 grain factory Remington ammo, 2" high with S&B 158 grain and 6" high with some old 200 grain standard pressure ammo I had custom made for a snub by http://www.reedsammo.com/.  This Reed's ammo happens to be real smokey but is smokeless powder.  Hmmm... best of both worlds for cowboy guns; I may have to get some more.

Of course, the beauty of the Laramies is those adjustable sights so you can adjust to whatever your preference.  I've got an 1866 .38 special coming, I'll have to see what flavor it fancies.

Texas Lawdog

I would like to have another one of the 38 Laramies, but I'm financally challenged at the present time.

kcub

To paraphrase Tommy Lee Jones in "No Country For Old Men", I'm financially over-matched.

I'd like to order a Jesse James rig for my 2 Laramies but to further quote the old fool in Shakespeare's King Lear:
"Fortune, that errant whore, ne'er turns the key for the poor."

Texas Lawdog

Yessir, That's another way of putting it.

kcub

finally broke down and ordered the El Paso Saddlery Jesse James rig for my Laramies

RickB

Quote from: kcub on April 16, 2010, 02:20:36 PM

If I remember correctly the one made for the movie The Assination of Jessie James" was made by Will Gromley. He is a fellow NCOWS member (at least he used to be)  and you can check out his work here http://willghormley-maker.com/BradPittasJesseJames.html

I'm sure he would be happy to make one for you. Better to go to the original maker and get the genuine article than a reproduction.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com