Starting my most advanced project to date.....

Started by Arizona Cattleman, January 16, 2010, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

AC, this project of yours has really come along great. Looking at the current Tandy catalog I see four matting tools listed under M. There is an M880 & M885, and the other three are different sizes of another matting pattern. Is this an older stamp?   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Arizona Cattleman

It maybe JD, I got it with a batch I purchased on E-Bay

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Kid Terico

AC just got around to seeing your finished project. Dog gone that turned out nice. I really like the color. BE PROUD OF THAT ONE. :) KT

JD Alan

AC, I've picked up a few Craftools that are no longer made, so that sounds reasonablle. I think they do that just to confuse us :-\
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Arizona Cattleman

;D  Alright Pards I got the scabbard stiched.  I did it differently this time, by not glueing it together first.  I used a stiching wheel on both sides being real carefull to be exact and it worked out perfect.  I treated the linning wit EEVO and my rifle even fit in it first time, so no wet moulding required.  I put in two d-rings and the next step is to make the straps, a sling and the Butt Cap the pattern calls for.  Probably a couple more weekends to completion.  Here is some Pics of my progress.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Arizona Cattleman

SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Gun Butcher

AC, that is mighty purty Pard. You are doing a fine job on that one and it is the perfect compliment to that fine rifle you got with it.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Arizona Cattleman

WC, GB thanks for the compliments.  I have learned a lot on this project.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

GunClick Rick

How does the rifle fit?How the heck you do that so fast?I LIKE IT :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Arizona Cattleman

GCR, the rifle fit perfect the first time.  Its a great pattern by Will Ghormley.  So far this has taken me two weekends and I figure I have at least two more to finish the straps, sling for the scabbard and a protective end cap with handle.  Its been fun.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Freedom

Wow! you sure did a nice job on this... I love the PC floural :o ;D That top leaf just lifts right up off the page!

I thank you for including us for the process. ;)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Farmer

beautiful piece man nice job! I've never used the gel dyes,.....kinda curious,..might have to check them out. :)

MontanaSlick

Quote from: Arizona Cattleman on January 16, 2010, 10:42:40 PM
I have carved 1/2 of the scabbard, but need to call it a night.  I have done the lower half and the dual border lines.

AC

I like it AC, are you going to line it?
? What is the oz's of leather are you using, looks like 6-7 oz, just guessing.

I made a sheath for my SXS out of an old Navy hospital  blanket, beads and braids n' all.  It's ok.

Keep us up to date on yer progress

MS

Arizona Cattleman

MS, it is already lined.  I used 6/7 oz on the body and 3/4 on the linning.  Coated the liner with EEVO.  Thanks for the compliments Pards.  Still more work to do.....

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

MontanaSlick

AC, I sure do love that EVOO,

My Sidekick Jerry made a scabber for a customer with a Buffalo  as the theme, he sure did nice work.
He did the leather for Quigley Down Under, I learned some from him, what a craftsman.

More piks?

Slick

Johnny McCrae

Howdy AC,
Your Scabbard is really looking good. The carving is outstanding. Many thanks for keeping us posted.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

AZ,
You need to pat yourself on the back!!! That is a SUPER AWESOME peice of leather work!!!!! Pard that was a big job and you kicked a$$ on it. I can only hope in a year or two I will be able to do half as good of job as you did!!!!!!!!
You are there DUDE!!
Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Mogorilla

Hey AC, LOOKS FABULOUS!!!  Your first post inspired me to make a saddle scabbard for my Carbine that never was (a long barreled 58 brass frame remington with an attached shoulder stock).  I have it cut, stamped, dyed and then I was back to school and haven't touched it.  It has been 20 years since I graduated college and this stuff if kicking my backside something fierce.  I may finish it by summer at this rate!

Arizona Cattleman

Farmer, Freedom Thanks for the compliments.

Johnny M thanks, and I lovr those holsters I got from you.  You do great work. 

Ace, Hang in there you'll be back in the spring. 

Mogorilla, I remember when I went back to college, it was tough with all the other responisibilities to make time for yourself.  Just keep pounding away.  Post some pics when you get a chance of your progress.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com