Starting my most advanced project to date.....

Started by Arizona Cattleman, January 16, 2010, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona Cattleman

I have begun a Will Ghormley rifle scabbard to fit my 1866 Yellow boy.  This is my most complicated project to date as I will be incorperating the Will Ghormley carving from the Jesse James rig modified to fit the scabbard.  I just finished the pattern and here is a pic.  I will keep you all updated as to my progress with pics as I go along.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Dalton Masterson

Wow. That will be pretty when you are done!! Keep us updated!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Arizona Cattleman

Here is a pic of the transfered pattern to the leather.  Boy that was hard with a little arthritis in my hands.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

AC, that is going to be Awesome Pard, you did a good job of getting the pattern onto leather, I have the same problem with my hand, so I know it was for you, I can't wait to see this finished, you should show us along the way how your caring is coming along, that would make a nice way of showing your progress. By the way, you're doing Fantastic for the length of time you have been doing leather craft, keep it up pard.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

Thanks TW & Pards, I am planning on lining this one so I used a 5/6 oz leather on the project and will line with 3/4 oz leather. I hope it turns out good.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Kid Terico

AC , lots of work and time consuming but will great item when your finished . KT

cowboywc

Howdy AC
Very cool. Great job on the pattern.
Keep us posted.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Arizona Cattleman

I have carved 1/2 of the scabbard, but need to call it a night.  I have done the lower half and the dual border lines.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Rube Burrows

That is going to look really nice. Will make a fine home for your 66.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

GunClick Rick

How do you get the pattern on the leather?Tracing paper?How do you keep from tearing the pattern?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Arizona Cattleman

I use a stylus and the pattern is done on plastic tracing film.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

outrider

AC,  That's the cat's meow for sure...take your time with it......I like the pattern that you modified...good work
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Gun Butcher

AC, great job on the pattern and it looks like you did real fine with the knife. Oughta be a real looker when she's finished.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Arizona Cattleman

Thanks Outrider & GB  for the kind words.  I was just looki n back and I only started doing leather 5 months ago.  I really thank all you Pards for your encouragement and support.  You have all become very good friends and a kind of family.  Thank You. 

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Arizona Cattleman

I got half of the tooling done........

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Gun Butcher

AC, looks like you got 'er on the run Pard.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Arizona Cattleman

Three more pics....

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

FEATHERS

G'Day AC, Really nice pattern & it is coming along great :D Can I ask what tool you are using for the background? I only have the standard backgrounder & living in OZ,I am limited in the tools to buy here & money dictates what I can afford to buy from the states.Feathers.

Arizona Cattleman

Hey Feathers, I used 4 different ones, M684, A104, A105 & A114.  Plus at the edges I used a beveler B971 & B198.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com