A new take on an old one

Started by Dalton Masterson, January 14, 2010, 12:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Howdy all. I bought this old holster at an auction with the plan to recreate it someday. Well I finally did a test holster to see if I got the pattern right. The old one fits a SAA like a glove, as does the new one, but my Rugers will squeeze in, so I think it will have a dual use. My Rem. 58s also fit the new one, so it may be close to a universal type holster.

Anyway, I used what stamps I had that were the closest, but they are not exact. I also used the same loop construction, using 3 rivets, but did reverse the rivets to keep the ends away from a gun.

How old would you guys say this one is?

Thanks for looking.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Angel_Eyes

Very nice job, and to answer your question,,,I would guess that the top one is pretty damn new!!(Hur, hur, hur)
(Seriously, did you make the other one last week, and age it?)

Sorry, I'm going now,

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

GunClick Rick

Look like twins to me :) Ya know,back in the 1800s and such did they have the same type of stamps you guys have now???

You nailed that one Dalton,nice :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Wiley Desperado

Dalton, you did a heck of a fine job duplicating that holster it really looks good .  As far as the  age I think Angel Eyes is right about the light colored one it looks pretty new.  I wasn't going to but I just couldn't help it YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA!!! 

Wiley  ::) ;D   

Dalton Masterson

Well the beauty of the new one is that it only took 10 minutes to cut out, and about 30 minutes to decorate, then stitch time. I tried to not over do the finishing touches, like putting edgekote, etc on it.
I tried to do it as the original maker may have done it, while sitting in a cabin one cold day with a hair of free time. The original has some pretty rough carving done on it, with cuts overlapping, etc, but its still a good useable holster as is. Whoever built it built it well.
Thanks for the comments folks. The only thing it is lacking right now is some decent sunshine to darken up the olive oil treatment, and a coat of skidmores to call it done.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Dalton, that is a great job of copying the old one. If you put a natural finish on it, like pecan or walnut, and touched it up with 800 grit, it would be identical. Very nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy DM
Great job. A little age and they will be twins.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton,
You did a magnificent job of recreating that old Holster! I think it's really great to have the skills and ability to do that. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ned Buckshot

Wow Dalton, If I didn't know better I'd swear you took a before and after coloring picture.

Looks Great!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Good job Dalton, yours looks about as close as it's going to get, you'll be glad you put the copper rivets in the right way, when yours gets some color and age it should look the same.

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TN Mongo

Nice work Dalton.  Your holster looks liked it just "crawled out" of the Packing Iron book.

Kid Terico

Dalton is that what they mean when they say almost new or exactly like that one but different?  ;D ;D You did a very good reproduction of the origional. Nice work.  U got it down pat. KT

Dr. Bob

DM,

Great looking copy!  Looks like the same hand did both.  You should be real proud of this one!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

JD Alan

Dalton, I'd say the "old one" is one you built the week before!

Great job, I like the look
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

Dalton, that is a great impersonation you do. ;)  Good job Pard.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Skeeter Lewis

Hey Dalton, Ned reckons you toke. Is this a lowdown vicious rumor?

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com