A question on cord...

Started by Jim in Tucson, January 12, 2010, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in Tucson

Folks,

Right now my newest design with the "torque cross-strap" relies on 550 paracord:

While this *works*, it ain't exactly old-timey, and the design otherwise looks mostly period-correct in a very generic fashion.  (Anybody who *knows* old-school holsters would know otherwise of course!!!)

What I'd like to find is some sort of replacement cord that's as tough as paracord, but looks more period-correct.  And...here's the hard part, if possible do so without waxed thread.

Now, it doesn't have to be full width/strength to start.  I'd be willing to braid three strands, or even braid three three times and braid THOSE.  It would take a while but I can do it while watching TV, etc.

Anybody got any ideas/sources on cord, esp. for something that would look OK tripled up in a three-strand braid?

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

cowboy316

give Mid America Rope Company call dont have the info but there online
Cowboy316

Freedom

Alum Tan...sometimes called (Indian Tan) is probably the strongest you can buy... It is near impossible to break a 3/16 string  with you bare hands. This is probably what you seek and it can often be found sold as Laces for boots...Tandy has some I know. If you know a saddle maker he may be able to cut you some string from a side as this is the leather most good saddle makers use to make there strings...the other use Latigo but it is not even close to as strong.

This leather is generally golden/yellowish orange in color but some of it is darker.

Thats a good design. I have been looking at/following your leather pics on another forum for quite a while.. Welcome :D ;)
Wes
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Jim in Tucson

I'll have to check out some alum-tan.

I do know Synthetic Sinew isn't the answer.  I have some experience with that...basically, it starts out "greasy" (problem one) and then if it's put into any use that involves any friction, the "grease" (some sort of wax?) goes away and what you get is a bunch of hair-fine-or-less threads that slowly eat away if there's any rubbing going on.

ChuckBurrows

Rawhide lace......period, strong, and readily available.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com