Steer Horn Grip Question

Started by Harley Starr, January 11, 2010, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Starr

Would steer horn grips hold up well on a sixgun? ???
A work in progress.

Paladin UK

Ho TR.........

Grips.............. ::)

Now this is a tricky one!! ..........I can see NO problem at all regarding the use of Steer Horn Grips,
The thing is Grips are such a touchy-feely-personal thing!!
Some pards like the uneveness of Stag `n` some pard like the feel of checkering and again some pards like the smooth feel of Perlite faux Ivory etc!!!   What I`m saying here is,  go with what FEELS RIGHT for you.

Paladin (What Dont think he`s helped at all!!  :-\ ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Forty Rod

A mite thin, isn't it?  I've seen very little that wasn't hollow by the time it got back far enough to be wide enough to work for grips.

I'd like to see some made, though.  Should look great.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Toooooo Thin, don't wast you time.

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

St. George

No - too thin...

Vaya,

Scouts out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Harley Starr

Message received, steer horn is no longer on my wish list.
A work in progress.

WaddWatsonEllis

Just informational ... but could the grips be made of thin horn and then have a paste of epoxy 'spooged' to the innner side and then, with the backstrap and frame sandwiched in Saran Wrap, be clamped onto the gun until the epoxy cast itself to the shape of the backstrap?

Not that I would ever do it, not that it is anyway near period-correct, but would it work?

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Forty Rod

I'v thought of laminating steer horn over a wood "filler" to make a solid grip, but I never did for two very good reasons:

1. I haven't a clue how to do it.

2. I'm lazy.

The epoxy (or some sort of semi-dense plastic) might just work.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

WaddWatsonEllis

Forty Rod,

I would think that basically it would mean spooging the epoxy between the frame/backstrap (Covered with saran wrap as a release) and the horn ... in effect, making an epoxy grip and using the horn as an outside non-removable mold ....

and I would imagine that afterward it would take a bit of judicious triming with a Dremel tool or file to make room for the springs ....

In theory, not beyond the average joe's skill level ... in theory ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Forty Rod

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on January 12, 2010, 01:25:35 PM
Forty Rod,

I would think that basically it would mean spooging the epoxy between the frame/backstrap (Covered with saran wrap as a release) and the horn ... in effect, making an epoxy grip and using the horn as an outside non-removable mold ....

and I would imagine that afterward it would take a bit of judicious triming with a Dremel tool or file to make room for the springs ....

In theory, not beyond the average joe's skill level ... in theory ....

Could be, but I'm ambidextrous: I can screw up equally with either hand.

Black River Johnny

I have few comments/questions. First I think I have seen or read about buffalo horn grips, and I think they are as thin as cow horn. Second are mother of pearl grips made from the shell and are not they thin also? and last in the limited books I have that have old original guns all I see for grips is Rubber, pearl, ivory and wood. No stag or any other material. Please comment on these observations so I can get some more learnin  :) thanks

Paladin UK

FR said................. :D

QuoteCould be, but I'm ambidextrous: I can screw up equally with either hand.

:o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  :o

Paladin (What thought that wuz....... Bloody Brill  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Lewie Girardeau

HIYA Everyone;

Heifer horn is thicker than steer horns are.
        I made a powder measure/ pour for my front loader from one and it was more than 1/4" thick and about 4 inches or so long.

Just thought I'd add that in for you.
        They also make great buttons f you have the time to carve them , I used a dremel tool and made a cross button for a possible bag.

Louie Girardeau

Harley Starr

Quote from: Lewie Girardeau on January 31, 2010, 10:10:49 PM
      HIYA Everyone;

Heifer horn is thicker than steer horns are.
        I made a powder measure/ pour for my front loader from one and it was more than 1/4" thick and about 4 inches or so long.

Just thought I'd add that in for you.
        They also make great buttons f you have the time to carve them , I used a dremel tool and made a cross button for a possible bag.

Louie Girardeau

Heifer horn, eh?
A work in progress.

WaddWatsonEllis

I had heard that heifers were more horny ....

Sorry, I was a vaudevillian in another life ... can't get it out of my system, and I figured I would say it before somebody else did ...

NCOWS #3403

Forty Rod

Durango Flinthart

I had an 1970's something Dixie Gun Works cat.,  way in the back among lots of useful gunlore was a section on cutting, flattening,  stacking and gluing cow horn for revolver grips.  So it has been done before.
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Waddie Bill

Ranger,

There's an article in "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide--Updated" copyright 1982, pgs 205&206 on this idea. They say it works

best on the pocket model c&b guns.

It might be worth a look,

Good luck,

Waddie Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com