Stabler Cutoff in Armi Sport

Started by Shenandoah, January 11, 2010, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shenandoah

I understand the first AS carbines came with a cutoff. And reportedly it was discontinued due to the cost. I am planning on getting a 56-50 in a couple of months (I have one in 44 Russian). I called Taylors and requested a cutoff installed on my future purchase carbine.

The very helpful young lady said she would check with the factory. I realize if they will accommodate my request it will cost more.

Has anyone here asked about a cutoff from the factory before?

Shenandoah

Two Flints

Shenandoah ,

I doubt that they will add the Stabler Cutoff as I think it requires modifying the OEM breech block, which is another step they may not want to get involved with, but I could be wrong.

Please keep us informed, and let us know how you make out with your request.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Shenandoah

You were correct. The factory won't install the cutoff.  :(

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

Does anyone know what would be involved in adding a Stabler Cutoff to an Armi Sport Carbine? 

Some time ago, I did inquire about the same thing, if a Stabler Cutoff switch could be added to the Armi Sport Spencer Carbine Breech Block and was told (I think by S&S Firearms) that it would require some drilling and modification of the OEM breech block, but they never went into any detail, and I never really tried to find out any more information about it.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Herbert

all that is needed is to cut a slot on the lower breachblock and fit a proper lenth screw for the cutoff ,S&S sells the cutoff but i dought weather the screw treads would be the same,breachblock has to be mounted in a rotary table to mill slot evenly and a small pin hole drilled in the trigerguard for a stop for the cutoff,simple work but needs special tools and drawings to do,a well eqiped gunsmith or machinist would have no trouble if they had drawings or beter still a original to go off ,another alterinative is to make a Spencer type cutoff by copying the fited cartrige guide and ading the swing gate,these were fited to 1867 & NM spencers so are more athentic with AS Spencer with the lane type extractor,and not hard to make for a experinced hobist

Shenandoah

I sent an email to the Spencer Rifle Co in Tennessee to see if they offer this option as a gunsmith service. I have 2 cutoffs and the mounting screws.

Anybody else have any experience with a gunsmith who provides this service?

El Tigre

Quote from: Shenandoah on January 12, 2010, 04:12:32 PM
I sent an email to the Spencer Rifle Co in Tennessee to see if they offer this option as a gunsmith service. I have 2 cutoffs and the mounting screws.

Anybody else have any experience with a gunsmith who provides this service?

Is there any drawing or picture available ?

Based on that I would be able to impement it in the Spencer.

El Tigre

Herbert

Quote from: El Tigre on January 16, 2010, 02:23:07 AM
Is there any drawing or picture available ?

Based on that I would be able to impement it in the Spencer.

El Tigre
before going ahead with this job i recomend you examine a original with the cutoff and take measuments this will give you a clear idear what is involved and what parts you can make and what parts it is easer to buy

Shenandoah

I haven't seen an original, but I have seen exploded diagrams (without measurements). It appears there are only 2 parts, the cutoff and the threaded bolt.

The Spencer Rifle Company hasn't returned my email.  :(

Fox Creek Kid

Let´s not forget THE critcal part:  annealing the frame before machining. If not it may shatter like glass.  ;D

Herbert

it would be interesting to see how hard the AS lower breachblock is,i did a cratch test an mine seems soft conpared to original block( anyone have a hardness tester)allso the cass harding does not look right ,i wonder what would hapen if you aplied heat to it,i would have to find out more about this finish before i tryed to annealing it

El Tigre

Quote from: Herbert on January 16, 2010, 03:24:04 AM
before going ahead with this job i recomend you examine a original with the cutoff and take measuments this will give you a clear idear what is involved and what parts you can make and what parts it is easer to buy

Hallo Herbert,

today I bought a original Spencer Rifle but it has no Stabler Cutoff. Can you send some picture ?
In my company we have good mashines. We can cut threads also in hard material. We will do it by Electro-Erosion.

If I had built it in my Armis Sport Spencer I could do it also for others.

El Tigre

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

The photos presented here came from the Marcot book.  Probably not the best Stabler Cutoff photos, but the best I have right now.  My main research books are in Maine, and I am in MA right now.  There are four photos presented below.

Hope they help a bit.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Herbert

Quote from: El Tigre on January 17, 2010, 02:37:09 PM
Hallo Herbert,

today I bought a original Spencer Rifle but it has no Stabler Cutoff. Can you send some picture ?
In my company we have good mashines. We can cut threads also in hard material. We will do it by Electro-Erosion.

If I had built it in my Armis Sport Spencer I could do it also for others.

El Tigre
electro-erosion would defintly work but first i would check hardness of lower breachblocck, i think standard carbide cuters would do the job and be quicker and easer to set up

Herbert

on closer examination of the AS spencer, i found that if the Stabler cutoff was to be fited it would limit extraction to about 1/8 inch or 3mm,it seems if you want  a cutoff with the Lane extractor you are beter of fiting a Spencer cutoff,it also has the plus of being less work to make

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com