Question on Pietta 1851 Navy plunger

Started by Captain Bob Masterson, January 08, 2010, 02:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Bob Masterson

Hello the fire,

Picked up a Pietta 1851 barrel and complete loading lever with plunger from Dixie Gunworks for my Pietta 1861 Navy. The barrel fits great, but the plunger rattles at both ends is this normal ?

Capt Bob
"Why...Jonny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

1st U.S.V. Cavalry 
A Troop

SASS #58272---Grand Army of the Frontier #462

RO I

Angel_Eyes

This is what the maker calls 'engineering tolerance',,,,if you will tolerate it,,,they will engineer a sale!! ::)

I notice you said that it was an 1851 loading lever to fit an 1861 model,,,could that be the problem?

Are they by the same manufacturer, and have you checked the difference between the original and the new?

AE (who probably isn't being very helpful!) ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Captain Bob Masterson

AE,

No it's a 51 loading lever on a 51 barrel, the 61 uses a whole different design (creeping style) loading lever.  The barrel and loading lever are Pietta. Wanted the option of being able to simply swap barrels to have either a 51 or 61 pistola when the mood for one or the other struck me.

Capt Bob
"Why...Jonny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

1st U.S.V. Cavalry 
A Troop

SASS #58272---Grand Army of the Frontier #462

RO I

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy, Cap'n!

Loosey goosey is the name ... normal is the game.  Sounds about right to me.  There has to be a lot of "play" because of the amount of grunge that can build up.

I like Angel Eyes' explanation!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

hellgate

It wouldn't hurt to snug the screws a little on the '51 rammer.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com