Frontier Holster Carvings?

Started by DarbyFett, January 05, 2010, 02:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarbyFett

I've seen a few examples of it around here, but I am having a hard time finding them.

I am making a new rig soon and I want to do some carving on on the Slim Jim. However for a few reasons I want to do a carving that looks like someone might have done it while sitting around a campfire with a pocket knife. The reasons being:

1.I like the look of real simple carvings

2. I have never done any carving, and at the moment can't afford swivel knife.

Any tips or designs? I played around with some scrap and a knife and the carving had no definition and if you ran your finger over it you couldn't even tell it was there.

Thanks!

Flinch Morningwood

Finding the pattern you want is a key first step.

I would do some research in some of the publications listed in previous posts...I have found "Packing Iron" by Rattenberry to be especially helpful in generating ideas...especially if you are looking to nail down a time period or geographic-based style.  The book has a pretty good selection of slim jims to review.  I would also look at what other folks do...Chuck at Wild Rose Trading has a website that demonstrates what someone at the top of his game can do...

Once you have an idea of the pattern your looking for, experiment with technique.  I would imagine that what you are looking for is what some call the "bunkhouse" style...what cowboys did in the winter while they were cooped up in the shack with their pards.

Don't overlook the use of brass or nicklle spots.  Tandy sell some decent "antiqued" versions that look pretty weathered...spots would have been easier to apply than carvings and are usually a component of bunkhouse design.

You can always use a dull butterknife as a "field expediant" carving knife as long as the leather is properly cased (wet and let set for a while).   Not casing properly maybe way you designs aren't "taking."

Having a solid surface to work on is important as well - I actually got a big slab of polished stone out of the refuse pile behind a stone counter top fabricator (just ask if it's okay first  ;) )...stamps can be carved from the head end of big nails with little more than some needle files and time...

The great thing about this is you are limited only by your imagination and practice....Keep asking questions and you will do well.
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Gun Butcher

Al, take a look at Chuck Burrows website , wrtcleather.com , many examples of what you are looking for.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

DarbyFett

Quote from: Little Al on January 05, 2010, 06:52:05 AM
Finding the pattern you want is a key first step.

I would do some research in some of the publications listed in previous posts...I have found "Packing Iron" by Rattenberry to be especially helpful in generating ideas...especially if you are looking to nail down a time period or geographic-based style.  The book has a pretty good selection of slim jims to review.  I would also look at what other folks do...Chuck at Wild Rose Trading has a website that demonstrates what someone at the top of his game can do...

Once you have an idea of the pattern your looking for, experiment with technique.  I would imagine that what you are looking for is what some call the "bunkhouse" style...what cowboys did in the winter while they were cooped up in the shack with their pards.

Don't overlook the use of brass or nicklle spots.  Tandy sell some decent "antiqued" versions that look pretty weathered...spots would have been easier to apply than carvings and are usually a component of bunkhouse design.

You can always use a dull butterknife as a "field expediant" carving knife as long as the leather is properly cased (wet and let set for a while).   Not casing properly maybe way you designs aren't "taking."

Having a solid surface to work on is important as well - I actually got a big slab of polished stone out of the refuse pile behind a stone counter top fabricator (just ask if it's okay first  ;) )...stamps can be carved from the head end of big nails with little more than some needle files and time...

The great thing about this is you are limited only by your imagination and practice....Keep asking questions and you will do well.

Bunkhouse is the term I was looking for, not very fruitful search results though.

I have some nickel tacks on the way from tandy for a money belt i am making.

I will take a closer look at Packing Iron to look for ideas. I have mainly been using it for belt and holster styles and their respective dates.

Thanks for the butter knife tip!

Dalton Masterson

Darby, is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

I just dyed the leather as I normally would, then used the swivel knife after the dye, which allowed the leather to open up and highlight the cut.
If you need a swivel knife, I have a spare I can send you if you send me your address.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

DarbyFett

Thats it exactly!

I would love to take you up on that offer.

Arizona Cattleman

Dalton, those are really great Slim Jims.  I love the design and carving technique.  Wow!

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Ace Lungger

AWESOME :o :o :o :o
Dalton, I love that rig!!!!!!! Did you hand draw that carving pattern?? That is a killer rig and it looks Period!
Thanks for sharing.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

Ace, its copied out of the one in Packing Iron. They are the ones I did a few years back for my Starrs.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Howdy Dalton, Thanks, and how did you copy it?
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Springfield Slim

Dang, that answers a question I have been asking myself, how do I dye the incised holster without getting any in the cuts. Dye it first! I feel so stupid! Now I can finally make those holsters for my Open-tops. Thanks, Dalton
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Dalton Masterson

Darby, sent your knife and blades out on Friday. Hope they work for ya.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Gun Butcher

Heck Dalton.   Now I know why Freeda lets you drive  ;) ::)   ;D

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

DarbyFett

I can't thank you enough Dalton. I will let you know when the come in.

Darby

DarbyFett

Knife showed up today Dalton, once again, thanks a million. Even without the leather cased, it just glides through. Can't wait to start carving!

Freedom

Boy that is some fine swivel knive control ;)...

Do you use a hollow ground knife? I just can't seem to make a turn/circle like the one you have in the center of the flower.

A friend of mine let me try his knfe that was hollow ground and it sure was a lot nicer than my wedge..LOL

By hollow ground I mean it was narrow/ hollow ground vertically in the center (not a hollow ground edge),,sure made turns nice but I haven't seen any blades like that offered for sale.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Dalton Masterson

Freedom, when I did that I think I was using a filigree blade at the time. I now use the hollow ground pretty much exclusively. I have the ASB hollow standard blade that came with the leather handled knife. I also use 2 narrow blades that are hollowground, 1 angled, and 1 straight. They were made by B. KIng, and were very reasonably priced thru Sheridan Leather Outfitters.

Darby, glad ya got it! Be sure to strop them every so often while you are carving.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I believe the type of carving Darby is referring to is called "tear away carving".  I seem to remember reading somewhere that during the cold winter months cowboys in the bunkhouse would incise their gear with nails....anyway I remembered seeing an example that was done by our compadre  Horse Pen Harry.  He used a Freehand Stitching Groover (Tandy/Leather Factory #88074-11).

It took me while but I found his post in the "Show us your stuff" thread on page 249 dated 3/28/09.  If I remember correctly he was using Dalton's slim jims (the ones pictured) as a model.  Anyway...his attempts were exzcellant...very well done

Hope this helps

Dalton...how's the little one???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com