1860 Modified Spencer - Information Requested

Started by f2504x4, December 31, 2009, 08:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f2504x4

First of all, since I am a new member,  Thanks Two Flints and everybody.

Passed down from my Grandfather to myself from my limited knowledge so far appears to be an 1860 Spencer that has been modified.

The serial number on the receiver:  41,701

Evidentally, the barrel has been replaced with a 28 1/2 inch x 1 1/8 inch octagonal barrel with the stamp A. FRANCK.  I'm not a gun connoisseur, but the rifleling is remarkably clean and bright with very little pitting.  I am also unsure of caliber.

I think the extractor has a chip out of it on the one side and by the photos, I'm also missing the spring and ladder type rear sight.

Bascially, I'm looking for any/all information you might have to make this great rifle a more memorable keepsake for me.  Rumor mill has it that it came out of Pennsylvania by a Great Uncle or such.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

(Photos re-posted by Two Flints)

major

f2504x4
About the only thing I can tell you from looking at the pictures is that it started life as a carbine.  It was probably converted into what you have today a long time ago.
Major
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Herbert

I would mot change that sight looks like it hah a folding leaf at one time could be replaced easily enough,it is a good example of a early conversion to sporting rifle,as it is sined you should be able to find information on the maker,it was most lickly converted in the late 1860s to 1880s,the most popular caliber for these conversions was 56-46 folowed by 56-50,it is a very disirable rifle and worth spending mony on it to get it restored and if you are interested not hard to turn it into a shooter

Jobe Holiday

f2504x4,

The "A. Franck" makers stamp on the barrel is very interesting to me. Being from Central PA, I have seen a lot of "old guns" there, one of which was an original O/U percussion rifle/rifle that was marked on the locks with the identical stamping of "A. Franck". The O/U had come out of Centre Co, PA and has been in the same family since at least the 1860's. That central part of PA is well known historically for its O/U hunting guns. In addition, the adjoining county is Clinton Co., where a gunsmith by the name of Jacob Harder is also well known for converting Spencer Carbines to hunting rifles after the Civil War. There are several known Spencer conversions done by Harder that have been traced by serial number to the 7th PA Vol. Cav., Company E, which was from Clinton & Centre Counties. It seems that a number of the troopers upon discharge bought their Spencer Carbines, returned home to PA and had them converted into magazine fed hunting rifles by the local gunsmiths. One of these ID'd conversions done by Jacob Harder is pictured in Marcot's book on Spencers. It looks much like the one you have so kindly shared with us.

JDH
Life Member: NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, SCA, OMSA, EAF&GC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com