1858 Shorter barrel more $$$

Started by delmar, December 30, 2009, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delmar

The standard 1858 has been on sale a Cabela's for  $189.99  for several months, and has a Regular
price tag of  $219.99. 

...but the 1858, what seems to be the same gun, with the 5 1/2" barrel sells for $249.99. 

I get the fact that the gun that they produce more of, can be offered at a lower price, but is there any reason
to believe that the gun with the shorter barrel is superior in any way? 

Angel_Eyes

Delmar,I wouldn't go so far as to say superior, but, they handle beautifully!

When I got my brace of shortened Remmie's out at the last meeting, everyone wanted to hold them, and not one derogatory remark was heard!
They performed nicely too, until the (badly stuck-on) foresights fell off!   Back to the workbench!!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

delmar

Quote from: Angel_Eyes on December 30, 2009, 01:11:50 PM
Delmar,I wouldn't go so far as to say superior, but, they handle beautifully!

When I got my brace of shortened Remmie's out at the last meeting, everyone wanted to hold them, and not one derogatory remark was heard!
They performed nicely too, until the (badly stuck-on) foresights fell off!   Back to the workbench!!

AE

but the only difference is the barrel and loading lever length. Is that correct?  Just sort of seems like $30 - $50 is a lot extra, not to make the barrel quite as long.  ;D

delmar

Oh by the way
Does anyone here have a photo of a "shorty" without the loading lever?

Forty Rod

Looks like the price of hacksaws has gone up.  ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

bedbugbilly

The same goes for some of the brass framed '51 .44 Navies that they offer.  I've thought the same thing for a long time - kind of like charging more for a car with no tires on it?  I understand the smaller production runs, etc. but we're not talking major modifications here.  They ought ot be able to offer 'em at the same price.  The same goes for the '62 Colt Police Model they offer - it's nothing but a modified '61 Navy - shorter barrel, shorter loading lever . . . . it does have a semi-fluted cylinder which could add to production costs but it still doesn't make much sense.  Of course, I guess an alternative would be to buy a pistol off of one of the auction sites .  . . . that doesn't make much sense either and I have never figured out why folks try to start 'em at a price higher than you could buy a brand new one that at leasst had some warranty to it.  Go figure - guess that's what makes the world go around.  It does make you want to get the hacksaw out though and dust it off.

Wolfgang

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 30, 2009, 03:23:41 PM
Looks like the price of hacksaws has gone up.  ::)

Yep . . . them Eye - talian hacksaws ur expensive items.  & they wear 'em out quick cutting them barrels off   ;D

A short barrel with no loading lever ? . . . here ya are  www.drburkholter.com/cf4.html
And it wus a genuine "hacksaw-d model"   ;)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

reloader4410

Starting something like AA only it's called Hacksaw Anonymous. To join you must have an addiction to using a hacksaw on Remingtons. 5 1/2 inch barrels just don't get it. Barrels must end up 3 inches or less. Snub noses Forever.

delmar

Quote from: reloader4410 on December 30, 2009, 07:01:41 PM
Starting something like AA only it's called Hacksaw Anonymous. To join you must have an addiction to using a hacksaw on Remingtons. 5 1/2 inch barrels just don't get it. Barrels must end up 3 inches or less. Snub noses Forever.

I just had an interesting thought. How many snubies could you make from one 8" barrel?  2or 3?
Mill it, thread it, screw it on to another gun!

bedbugbilly

You know . . . . after reading this thread the yesterday and putting my 2 cents out there . . . . I woke up in the middle of the nightl last night and got to thinkin' about it.  For years . . . I've been telling my wonderful wife that "less is more".  Do ya suppose this is the philosophy they're usin' to set higher prices on the short barrels?   :o

Enjoyed the photos of the "stubbies" - I have a favor to ask of all you fellows that take a hacksaw to your longer barrels . . . . would you save the cut off pieces for me and when you accumulate enough, send 'em to me?  I'd like to put 'em "end to end".  I've been thinkin' pretty hard about makin' a rifle this winter and it would save on the cost.   I figure if I could get enough .44 cut offs then I could put a piece of .36 cut off on the end of the barrel - it should improve the accuracy and kind of act like a "choke".   ;D

Hope you all hae a very "Happy New Year"!

Forty Rod

I'm positively delighted so many people are nuts enough to fit in around here.  Takes a lot of the strain off of Del, Arcey, and some others.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Wolfgang

Quote from: bedbugbilly on December 31, 2009, 12:52:16 PM
You know . . . . after reading this thread the yesterday and putting my 2 cents out there . . . . I woke up in the middle of the nightl last night and got to thinkin' about it.  For years . . . I've been telling my wonderful wife that "less is more".  Do ya suppose this is the philosophy they're usin' to set higher prices on the short barrels?   :o

Enjoyed the photos of the "stubbies" - I have a favor to ask of all you fellows that take a hacksaw to your longer barrels . . . . would you save the cut off pieces for me and when you accumulate enough, send 'em to me?  I'd like to put 'em "end to end".  I've been thinkin' pretty hard about makin' a rifle this winter and it would save on the cost.   I figure if I could get enough .44 cut offs then I could put a piece of .36 cut off on the end of the barrel - it should improve the accuracy and kind of act like a "choke".   ;D

Hope you all hae a very "Happy New Year"!

Sounds like a GREAT plan . . . I'm sure I have my cut off around somewhere.  I'll remember ya when I happen to run into it.   ::)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: bedbugbilly on December 30, 2009, 05:50:30 PM
The same goes for the '62 Colt Police Model they offer - it's nothing but a modified '61 Navy - shorter barrel, shorter loading lever . . . . it does have a semi-fluted cylinder which could add to production costs but it still doesn't make much sense.  Of course, I guess an alternative would be to buy a pistol off of one of the auction sites .  . . . that doesn't make much sense either and I have never figured out why folks try to start 'em at a price higher than you could buy a brand new one that at leasst had some warranty to it.  Go figure - guess that's what makes the world go around.  It does make you want to get the hacksaw out though and dust it off.

Howdy, BB Billy!

Not tryin' to rag on ya, but the 1862 Colts (Uberti repros & originals) only look like a reworked 1861 ... unless they're side-by-side.  THEN you can see that they're completely different guns.  Colt took took the 1849 guns (.31 cal.) and reworked the frame and innards slightly so that it would operate a new 5 shot .36 cal. cylinder.

But they sure LOOK like a reworked 1861!
;) ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Flint

The Uberti 1862, like the original Colt, is made on the Pocket Pistol 31 frame, it is rebated and bored for 36 caliber.  It is a 5-shot revolver.  Uberti makes both the Pocket Navy (octagonal barrel) and the Pocket Police, 1860/61 style round barrel.

The Pietta faux Pocket Police, on the other hand, is a shorter barreled 1861 Navy, six-shot revolver.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

bedbugbilly

Steel Horse - no offense taken.  After going back and reading my post, I should have been more explicit as far as brands.  The original post was talking about Cabelas with a reference to the Remy's.  I was talking about the other Colt models that they offer, MOST of which are Piettas.  Don't get me wrong on Piettas - I have a 58 Remy Navy they made and the quality is top notch and I love it.  In my reference to the '62 Colt Pocket though - I was talking about "Pietta" - not Uberti.  Besides my Remy, I have a '51 and '61 Colt Navy and have wanted to get a '62 Pocket.  I haven't had an opportunity to see or handle the one that Cabelas sells that is supposed to be "similar" to a '62 pocket.  I posted an inquiry on another site about their model and had a number of replies and PMs that it was nothing more than a cutdown '61 Navy with a six shot fluted cylinder.  I ALREADY HAVE A '61 Navy and I don't want another one - I want a '62 Pocket that is similar to the originals - '49 fram size - 5 shot .36.  After my inquiry post, I had a number of fellows message me to check out the Ubertis as they were as close as you could come to it.  For me, price enters into it as well and I am just going to have to wait a little longer to save up for one of theirs unless I run across a used one.  It just irritates me that Cabelas uses such "creative writing" in describing the pistols they offer - much of which isn't historically correct.  On their site, for the model we're talking about, they don't even list that it is a six shot.  Sort of like dressing up a hog in a dress and trying to pawn her off as a beauty queen.  But - that's life I guess.  Thanks!

Steel Horse Bailey

BB Billy wrote:

"On their site, for the model we're talking about, they don't even list that it is a six shot.  Sort of like dressing up a hog in a dress and trying to pawn her off as a beauty queen. "

Ain't THAT the truth!

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

delmar

Quote from: delmar on December 30, 2009, 10:36:42 AM
The standard 1858 has been on sale a Cabela's for  $189.99  for several months, and has a Regular
price tag of  $219.99. 

...but the 1858, what seems to be the same gun, with the 5 1/2" barrel sells for $249.99. 

I get the fact that the gun that they produce more of, can be offered at a lower price, but is there any reason
to believe that the gun with the shorter barrel is superior in any way? 
Well I knew that sale couldn't last forever, but when the sale ended they jacked the price up to $239.99

So now the shorter barrel is only $10 more. Who knows, maybe the one with the 5 1/2" will go on sale next.

Slowhand Bob

I have two of the late style Piettas like those pictured with the short barls in 44l but when I purchased these I did not realize that Pietta had made machining changes and these new guns would be unable to handle my old cylinders.  My question, did Pietta market a short barreled version prior to making the bolt/cylinder notch change?  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com