And now for something completely different.............

Started by ChuckBurrows, December 30, 2009, 12:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckBurrows

Just finished up this 1870's Bone Hairpipe Breastplate...........

It's made from:  real bone hair pipe, braintan fringe and ties, bark tan dividers, brass beads, glass beads, tin cones, German Silver concho, buffalo hair (the black), and human hair - all put togther in a Southern Plains style - these became quitepopular in the 1870's and can often be seen on Indian men in photos of the period in various configurations of beads, hairpipes, and decorations.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

GunClick Rick

:oBOY WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE THAT ON MY INDIAN WALL!! I want one :-\ :(
Bunch a ole scudders!

WaddWatsonEllis

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Gun Butcher

Beautiful work Chuck. I know that was a time killer but the outcome is well worth it.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ned Buckshot

Just positively stunning Chuck!

So which museum is that going to?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

Dang Chuck. Looks great! A lot better than the one I made in high school out of reeds.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Kid Terico

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really outstanding, Chuck. Your versatility is unlimited. I'm totally in awe of this one. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

Where did ya get the bone?Ain't cheap to make either.. :o
Bunch a ole scudders!

ChuckBurrows

Thanks guys - this is my first one and I am plum pleased with the outcome! Wish ya'll could see it in person though becuase the photos just don't do it justice, lots of little details and color variations that just don't show up.

Ned - this one is going to Will Sellit here on CASCity - it's a Christmas gift to his son.

Rick - The beads and bone hairpipe are from Crazy Crow.........originally hairpipe was made from conch shells, in the late 1860's/early 1870's the bone began to be made - they were made for pipestems, but the Indians had there own ideas......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

GunClick Rick

Must have used the center stem of the conch?
I just got a wampum strap and learned how they made that from the clam shells,amazing but simple and tedious i'm sure.

Bueatiful breastplate,how much time ya got in it?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Freedom

That is stunning!! WOW!! sure looks nice,,, I have played a little with the bones and it sure is fun.

When at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody Wy the breast plate there was said to have been made all from the wing bones of eagles.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Dr. Bob

Rick,

You can make one yer own self!  Crazy Crow has the pipes & beads.  The spacers are like on a choker, only a lot longer.  You would be extra proud to have done it yourself!    You CAN do it!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ace Lungger

Howdy Chuck, :)
I have to agree with the other pards! :o :o Outstanding creativeity!! :o :o That my friend is a true peice of ART!! Your ability to see those visions and then to put them to reality is most amazing!!!
I truely admir those peices that you make!!I have sit and thought for hours about making something of that style, but it just isn't in me to produce that style of work!
Thanks for sharing.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Will Sellit

I received this work of art today and believe me the pictures do not do it justice. The detail is absolutely amazing and I truly believe it could be in a museum.

As Chuck mentioned this is a gift for my 43 year old son. After receiving it today I started thinking of the times when he was growing up that he did not listen to me. You know, coming home after curfew, the bad chemistry test grade, the speeding ticket. After reviewing this list of trangressions I really feel parents should not reward bad behavior no matter when it happened. I may have to punish him and hang this work of art on my wall. Of course I will feel terrible about it.

Also I'm thinking I should order one of Chuck's knives to give to my other son that is 41 years old. I think I will get started on his transgression list now so I will be prepared when the knife is ready.

Thanks Chuck. Amazing work!

Will Sellit  AKA  Dick Howell

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com