To Line or not to Line, That is the Question

Started by JD Alan, December 28, 2009, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Gun Butcher on December 29, 2009, 06:02:38 AM
  J
I  am not entirely convinced that their is any evidence that lining helps save a firearm that much. Oh, I know thats going to cause an uproar but we are talking about people who take extremely good care of their rigs to start with and keep their guns spotless so their is no chance for grit to get inside the holster and cause wear.

Gun Butcher, I agree, I've found that where ever there is rubbing of leather or what ever the holster is made of to the gun, there will be wear, it just has to happen, and I really don't think one style is better than the other, except where speed comes in, and then a smooth cowhide liner wins out, at least IMHO, I remember one time when I was in to see Alfonso he had a customer that wasn't happy with the wear on his blued gun, and wanted Alfonso to build him a holster that would be safe on his finish, Alfonso told him to get a Stainless Steel gun, and he wouldn't have to worry about it, he said all blued guns that are carried in a holster are going to show wear on the finish, and the only way to avoid that was to just keep the gun in a box or the safe, I was surprised to hear him say that, and we talked about this when that customer left, he told me that guys like that drive him crazy, he said the holster he had was fine, and he was one of those fanatics that can't stand a scratch or any wear on his gun, he said guys like that care more about their gun than they do their family, and I had to laugh at that, because I've known pards like that, you almost don't even want to handle there guns, even if they were to allow you. I have to agree with Alfonso, in that if you don't want any wear on your blued gun, leave it in the safe, or get a stainless model, or enjoy the looks of a well worn gun, that has a little steel showing, I personally like that look, it gives a gun character that a new gun doesn't have, you could call it love wear, then it takes on a whole new meaning, I have some good friends that have some beautiful guns, IN THEIR SAFES, they won't shoot them even though they would love to, because they don't want to take the chance of messing them up, so I guess to each there own, I like shooting my guns and I 'm not worried about a little love wear here and there. ;) :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

Amen, Brother Ten Wolves, guns are for shooting They don't become safe queens or wallhangers until they are to old to cut the mustard.  They were made for shooting and as such their will be wear so, having said that, it just comes down to preference or use. If you like a lining then by all means line it. If you need that extra tenth of a second then a lining is the way to go.
Since I am doing a filigree on the one I am doing now it will have a lining. To me personally that is the only reason to line a holster, even though they do look nice lined. :)

TW, you always have the best stories. I would have loved to live where you did and know the people you have known. 8)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks for the flowers GB, some times one takes his own environment for granted and the people hes known, it hasn't been since recently that I've grown to really appreciate  my life and my memories, I owe this to all of you pards, that have brought all these things to the surface, I find myself thinking of yesterday more in more, they really were good times .

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com