The book

Started by Forty Rod, December 26, 2009, 01:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

No, not THE Book, the book.

About 35 years ago I was working for The Flintlock at Hobby City in Anaheim, maybe a mile south of Knott's Berry farm and  little further NW of Disneyland. 

One day a man walked in with a huge book that he and a couple of others had written about Colt's Single Action Army Revolvers.  Beautiful book and he was selling early copies, autographed by all three authors for, if I remember right, about $40.00.  I was still in the Corps and working there on weekends and days off and I couldn't spend that kind of money on a book....but it kept nagging at me over all those years.

My wife bought me A Thirty year Anniversary Edition of Graham, Kopek, and Moore's A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver...all 600+ pages of it...for Christmas.  It sells now for around $150.00 and the pictures alone are worth the price.

She's a mighty good woman.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Gun Butcher

And you are a very lucky man ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

GunClick Rick

She booked him Danno~~Good get Forty :)

Heeeey no happy new year cowboy emoticons? ???
Bunch a ole scudders!

Angel_Eyes

Hey, Forty Rod,,I was surprised by my son one birthday, some time ago.
He presented me with a volume of:-

A History of The Colt Revolver (and other arms made by Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company from 1836 to 1940)
by Charles T Haven and Frank A Belden.

Now, not being an aficionado of these types of books, I wondered if you may know anything about this particular book?
It was published in 1940 by William Morrow of New York.

It is in pristine condition and is full of photo's, price lists, advertising and engineering drawings submitted to the Patents Offices.

Any ideas ???

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Forty Rod

I haven't heard of that one, Angel.  It's something to look for now that I know of it.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Dr. Bob

Go to ABEBOOKS.com and enter the title & an author and you will see many listed.  Many reprints.  If yours is the 1940 Morrow 1st edition, it is likely worth upwards of $75 on the US market.  I believe that ABEBOOKS has a UK web site.  Sounds like a fine reference book!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Angel_Eyes

Thanks for that Dr. Bob,,,I went, I saw, I was gobsmacked!!! :o :o :o

It would appear that my First Edition may be worth about $250.00!! :D

No wonder my son said I couldn't sell it before I die. :-\

Does that come under the heading of, "Indian-giver"? ;)

AE,

Happy New Year to all my readers! ;D ;D ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Texas Lawdog

Angel Eyes , You can "will" it to your son and let him sell it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Angel_Eyes

HI Lawdog,

I dont think there will be a problem about 'willing' anything to my kids, they might fight over who has to pay for the removal skip to cart away all my 'rubbish', though.

I still have stuff in my garage from when I used to repair any damn thing that the neighbours needed doing, before I joined Her Majesties Most Brittanic Army, in 1962, when I was 16!!!

AE

Forty Rod

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 27, 2009, 08:34:11 PM
I haven't heard of that one, Angel.  It's something to look for now that I know of it.

Found one on Amazon for under $50.., used but in good shape.  Thanks for the tip.

Angel_Eyes

Good for you Forty Rod, I hope you find it informative.
I have been reading mine very carefully, wearing my old white Police gloves, so that I dont depreciate the value of it( I've seen that used on the TV, on the Antiques programs, who says you can't teach an old dog......).
So far, I have found it quite fascinating.

AE

Forty Rod

Mineisn't that valuable.  I'll probably treat ir like most of my other books and fill it with underlinings, marginal notes, and Post-It notes stuck everywhere.  It should be here this week..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com