The weather out West is frightful

Started by Frenchie, December 25, 2009, 08:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenchie

That's what I keep hearing; apparently things are end-of-the-world bad out there beyond the mountains that separate us effete, decadent Easterners from the sturdier stock that went West and tamed the frontier ;).

Here's wishing everyone a happy and safe Christmas-New Years week! May God bless and send angels to watch over you all.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

River City John

Et Joyeux Noel a votre famille, Monsieur!

Just manhandled the snowblower through 2' and 3' drifts across my driveway. This is the most snow we've seen in Nebraska for many a year, and the first true "white" Christmas in about 40 years or so. We drove over yesterday morning to my mother-in-laws and gathered her up to come have a slumber party with us on Christmas Eve. My oldest daughter and her family drove up from Lincoln, NE Wednesday to be here ahead of the snow. (And they think they're going back Saturday! Not by the current weather report! Makes no difference how clear the Interstate is if they haven't plowed out our residential streets.)

I wish everyone is safe and comfortable this day. We are expecting 3" - 5" more snow with winds in the 35 mph range. And that's a constant 35 mph, none of this measly 'gusts up to' stuff.

And a special Blessing to all the emergency, medical, law enforcement and Armed Forces personnel who brave this weather out of a sense of duty.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Shotgun Franklin

I'm 20 miles south of San Antonio. It was 31 last night but yesterday we had wind gusts near 50.  It's Al's Global Warming at work.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Tascosa Joe

Merry Christmas to all.  We had the first White Christmas in Fort Worth and Dallas since 1923.  The wind blew pretty good so we have a few little drifts, the snow is starting to melt, but Christmas eve was a mess.  God Bless one and all.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

pony express

Just a heavy dusting of snow here in Mid Missouri. But it rained hard most of the day yesterday, when we tried to go out to church, I managed to pry open one back door of the car, got inside and pounded a front one open.....and then it wouldn't latch closed again! Had to let it run with the heater on for 30-40 minutes before that thawed out. Need to get me one of those newfangled remote starters.....

Texas Lawdog

I don't think we got as much snow as T Joe did over in Fort Worth. I live right on the on the line between Tarrant and Dallas county. We got about 2 inches of snow on the ground and real icy roads yesterday and last night. Most od our snow has melted off. It will be now in the 20s over the weekend for low temps.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on December 25, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
It's Al's Global Warming at work.
In the spirit of the Day and the Season, I'll let that obvious political slam pass.

Don Nix

We got about 6" of rain out the  storm that got OKcity and Dallas /Ft. Worth then the temp dropped  and a dusting of snow.
21f this morning made the diesel hard to start but tommorrow we have to get the tractor started and get the gravel drives repaired from being washed out  on Wed. and Thurs. . But thank the good Lord the tornadoes missed us.

Delmonico

I was 'spossed to go to Rita's sister's in Crete (30 miles SW of  Lincoln) yesterday after workand meet her there.  Well she made it, I didn't, decided if we both got snowed in the dog would be lonely.  Good idea, she got home late this afternoon and it still ain't good.

Rowdy and I had Christmas Dinner with Salt Crick Rick, meat loaf and fry bread.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Delmonico

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on December 25, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
It's Al's Global Warming at work.
Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on December 25, 2009, 06:00:45 PM
In the spirit of the Day and the Season, I'll let that obvious political slam pass.

Don't see where you did, Shotgun, next time don't sugar coat it, just say yer like most of us here, you don't fall for BS. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I'm at my daughters, south of Vancouver, in sight of the Peace Arch crossing at Blaine WA.  Went walking in the sun in my shirt sleeves.  Nice bright weather & no rain!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Delmonico

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on December 25, 2009, 09:10:24 PM
I'm at my daughters, south of Vancouver, in sight of the Peace Arch crossing at Blaine WA.  Went walking in the sun in my shirt sleeves.  Nice bright weather & no rain!

I hope you got a sun burn. ;D  Glad someone had good weather, it's nasty here.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Forty Rod

Jus' turrible!

It was so cold here today I had to take off my sweat shirt about noon and put on a tee shirt, an' I couldn't hardly fill up the wife's big bowl with fresh cut roses from my very own yard at four o'clock so's the table wood look purty.

Why, I'll bet it never got over about 65 all day.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Texas Lawdog

Forty really knows how to kick a fella when he's down!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Delmonico

He's learn because we do it to him at any chance we get. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 25, 2009, 10:17:33 PM
Jus' turrible!

It was so cold here today I had to take off my sweat shirt about noon and put on a tee shirt, an' I couldn't hardly fill up the wife's big bowl with fresh cut roses from my very own yard at four o'clock so's the table wood look purty.

Why, I'll bet it never got over about 65 all day.

I'm with 4 T Rod on this'un.  SWMBO and I spent most of the day walking and resting on a quiet beach in Malibu, watching the waves and the birds and the occasional kayakers, surfers and dolphins.   The wind was blowing straight in off the ocean at about 12 knots, so I actually had to button the top button on my shirt.

B-r-r-r-r!   ;)

Delmonico

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on December 26, 2009, 12:41:42 PM
I'm with 4 T Rod on this'un.  SWMBO and I spent most of the day walking and resting on a quiet beach in Malibu, watching the waves and the birds and the occasional kayakers, surfers and dolphins.   The wind was blowing straight in off the ocean at about 12 knots, so I actually had to button the top button on my shirt.

B-r-r-r-r!   ;)

An that is the problem with where you are, the weather don't weed out the wimps and the stupid so they multiply at a high rate.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Forty Rod

Hey, Dan'l, which one of us the wimp an' which one is stupid?   ;D

How are we gonna make him pay for that, huh?  I know: let's make him stay in Nebraska an' freeze!   :o

Happy new year, Del.  Stay warm.   :D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 26, 2009, 12:47:58 PM
Hey, Dan'l, which one of us the wimp an' which one is stupid?   ;D

Why don't we take turns?  :) Which one you wanna be first?  8) 8)

QuoteHow are we gonna make him pay for that, huh?  I know: let's make him stay in Nebraska an' freeze!   :o

Nah, let's just ignore him.  That'll surely drive him screaming into the snow... ;) ;)

QuoteHappy new year, Del.  Stay warm.   :D

And the same goes for me, Del.  Have a joyous and safe New Year.

Delmonico

Now there you go, gettin' all sensative, didn't say you two were either, but just for fun go down to a big mall today and hand out and see if you can see some of they types I talk about. ;D  Then remember, we have a lot less of them around here cause the weather killed off the ancestors years ago or else they moved to Arnie-land. ;D

Happy New Years to you also.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com