Basketweave & Floral Holster.

Started by cowboywc, December 24, 2009, 02:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Howdy All
I'm not sure what go into me today, I wanted to do something different. I carved the basketweave instead of stamping it. Then I was going to just background it and went anyone can background this pattern. So instead I went and filigreed it. I'm going to color it an Walnut brown oil stain and use a White snakeskin behind the filigree.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboywc

Here is a close up of the filigree.
WC

cowboywc

If this works out I'll do a matching sheath and gunbelt.
WC

Gun Butcher

WC, you are a wildman. That is beautiful, other words just escape me. I will be very interested in whether or not it works.
Is your main concern how much body the holster will have?
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy WC,

What a beautiful example of carving! That sure sets the standard and gives one something to strive for. Many thanks for showing this to us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Skeeter Lewis

That is astonishing. I've never heard of carving basketweave!

Is that a first?

Dave Cole

OK Pard, I am officially stunned.That looks fantastic and after twenty years in this I can't say I have ever seen anything like that.I absolutely can't wait to see the finished product.Dave ;D

panhead pete

WC,

You have raised the bar Amigo!!  That is absolutely beautiful.  You are a true Artisan!

Panhead

Kid Terico

WC I,ve got a beautiful filigree rig but that is out of this world. What color linning are u putting in. It is one of the wildest holsters I,ve seen and I mean that as the HIGHEST compliment I can give you. Cant wait to see it finished. You out did your self. KT

JD Alan

WC, I don't know which I like best, the carving or the cut out basket stamping. Good thing I don't have to choose! Not that I plan to try this, but I assume you did the stamping, then cut out the holes using an Exacto knife, or something like it. Knowing what you did and doing it are two intirely different things. It's going to be an awesome rig, no question about it. Thanks, because I will know you will keep us in the loop, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

HowdyWC, you're the only one I know that would even consider doing something like this, you must have stayed up all night just thinking it out, I agree what others have said, and will just add this, " YOU THE MAN " there isn't any doubt my mind, and I can't wait to see this holster finished..... ::) 8) ;D

MERRY CHRISTMAS

:D :) ;)   :D ;D   :D :D   ;)  :)  :D ;D 8) ??? ::)   :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Doc O

Don't know what to say but my!my!my!
Love it. Can't waite to see it finished.

Doc

Marshal Will Wingam

WC, you have certainly taken basketweave to the hext level. That's truly outstanding. I can hardly wait to see the finished project.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Wiley Desperado

I flat out don't know how you did that.  WC you hit it out of the park!! I think you said you carved the basket weave, WOW!!!  The whole thing is fantastic, can't wait to see the finished project.  
Wiley

cowboywc

Quote from: Gun Butcher on December 24, 2009, 05:33:06 AM
WC, you are a wildman. That is beautiful, other words just escape me. I will be very interested in whether or not it works.
Is your main concern how much body the holster will have?

Howdy GB
I don't think there will be a problem with it having enough body with the filler and lining.
We shall see.
WC

cowboywc

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on December 24, 2009, 05:58:04 AM
That is astonishing. I've never heard of carving basketweave!

Is that a first?

Howdy
Not a first, I've done it a couple of times but never filigreed it. I saw it carved many years ago and liked the look.
WC

cowboywc

Quote from: Kid Terico on December 24, 2009, 08:16:22 AM
WC I,ve got a beautiful filigree rig but that is out of this world. What color linning are u putting in. It is one of the wildest holsters I,ve seen and I mean that as the HIGHEST compliment I can give you. Cant wait to see it finished. You out did your self. KT

Howdy KT
I'm going to use a white snake skin for the filigree backing. Looks like it will stand out real nice against the walnut color.
WC

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on December 24, 2009, 10:02:59 AM
WC, I don't know which I like best, the carving or the cut out basket stamping. Good thing I don't have to choose! Not that I plan to try this, but I assume you did the stamping, then cut out the holes using an Exacto knife, or something like it. Knowing what you did and doing it are two intirely different things. It's going to be an awesome rig, no question about it. Thanks, because I will know you will keep us in the loop, JD 

Howdy JD
The basketweave is not stamped, it is carved and beveled. I used a set of Bob Beard Filigree Chisels. Much easier the a blade in that tiny an area.
WC

cowboywc

Quote from: Wiley Desperado on December 24, 2009, 11:17:58 AM
I flat out don't know how you did that.  WC you hit it out of the park!! I think you said you carved the basket weave, WOW!!!  The whole thing is fantastic, can't wait to see the finished project.  
Wiley

Howdy Pard
Yes the basketweave is carved, not stamped.
WC

cowboywc

Howdy All
Thank you for all the kind words. I hope I can get this done before the first of the year when I have to start on customer orders again.
WC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com