209 adapter

Started by delmar, December 21, 2009, 04:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delmar

This question may get me branded as a heretic, but is there any reason why 209 adapters and primers
would not work in cap and ball revolvers?

Fingers McGee

yes.

Just sit quietly in your room, Tomás de Torquemada will be calling on you soon.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

44caliberkid

First off, just the primers would be a 400% increase in cost per 100 over caps.   Secondly, it's way more priming power than you would ever need.   Someone, who posted here, I think, was working on a cylinder and hammer mod that would use small or large pistol primers, a much more sensible application.   Although, handling those primers would be even tougher than caps.

delmar

Quote from: 44caliberkid on December 21, 2009, 07:17:09 PM
First off, just the primers would be a 400% increase in cost per 100 over caps. 
Really? They have 209 primers at Cabella's for $40/1000. The last #11 caps I bought were $5/100

Secondly, it's way more priming power than you would ever need.   Someone, who posted here, I think, was working on a cylinder and hammer mod that would use small or large pistol primers, a much more sensible application.   Although, handling those primers would be even tougher than caps.
I have been making white powder with KNO3 and sugar that I shoot in my .50 cal muzzleloader. It is really inexpensive and easy to make, but it is also harder to ignite. With a standard #11 percussion cap the chances are about one in three that it will fire, but I have been making it work by "priming the load" with a few grains of Pyrodex. I sort of figured that, if the 209 adapter would screw in place of the nipple,
it would ignite the white powder really well.

44caliberkid

Your initial post said cap and ball revolvers, now you're talking 50 cal rifles, which is a whole nuther animal, and a 209 conversion would be great.
   As for the cost, I've never bought 209's by the thousand.  I will retract my previous statement, I was just shooting from the hip and thought my 209's came in smaller quantities than they do.   After looking, I see I get them in 100 packs, for about $5, a little less at Walmart right now ($4.50).  I buy #11 caps by the thousand for less than $30 or I wait till the deer season is over and Walmart is clearancing them at 75% off and get tins of 100 for $1.75.
   A 209 conversion for C&B revolvers would still be overkill and too bulky.

Paladin UK

44caliberkid  said......
QuoteSomeone, who posted here, I think, was working on a cylinder and hammer mod that would use small or large pistol primers, a much more sensible application.

I`m guilty as charged!! I have developed this system as I Lurv ta shoot opentops and the dredded cap problem was really pi$$ing me off Soooooooooooo, I came up with this and it works Bloody Brill!! (Cheaper too)...

Paladin (What lurvs his opentops) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Deadeye Dick

Paladin,
Good idea! You ought to start manufacturing them for sale.
:)
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

delmar

Quote from: 44caliberkid on December 22, 2009, 07:49:45 AM
Your initial post said cap and ball revolvers, now you're talking 50 cal rifles, which is a whole nuther animal, and a 209 conversion would be great.
   As for the cost, I've never bought 209's by the thousand.  I will retract my previous statement, I was just shooting from the hip and thought my 209's came in smaller quantities than they do.   After looking, I see I get them in 100 packs, for about $5, a little less at Walmart right now ($4.50).  I buy #11 caps by the thousand for less than $30 or I wait till the deer season is over and Walmart is clearancing them at 75% off and get tins of 100 for $1.75.
   A 209 conversion for C&B revolvers would still be overkill and too bulky.
I'm not married to the idea of the 209, but it exists and I figured it might work well with the white
powder. Also I have used glue sticks to make plastic bullets for my .45 ACP, with the primer only, and I thought that might work really
well with a cap and ball revolver with 209's.  I am certain that wouldn't work with percussion caps.

As far as being too bulky, I really don't have a good sense of how big the adapter or the primers are. I really do, however, like the design
of the "Thunder Nipple" 209 Adapter. If I could get something just like that, that would work with either size pistol primer I would defiantly
give it a try. As it is, I am planning to go ahead and get one to try in my .50 cal. That way I will know better exactly what I am dealing with.

delmar

Quote from: Paladin UK on December 22, 2009, 12:40:21 PM

I`m guilty as charged!! I have developed this system as I Lurv ta shoot opentops and the dredded cap problem was really pi$$ing me off Soooooooooooo, I came up with this and it works Bloody Brill!! (Cheaper too)...

Did you have to modify the hammer for those to work?

Cuts Crooked

Weeellllll........... One of the problems the front stuffer pards encounter with 209 primers is that they a bit too powerfull! Some of the 209s are accused of lifting the powder charge/bullet up the bore before the powder actually ignites, creating a situation where in the charge doesn't burn evenly and wrecking accuracy. This has led to the creation of 209 primers just for the front stuffer pards, that are not quite so powerfull. And they are more EX$PEN$IVE too!!!!!

I can see this being a problem with C&B revolvers....only more so!!!!!! If the primer moves the charge/bullet, even part way up the chamber or into the bore prior to full ignition of the powder charge, yer goona encounter serious problems If the rpojectile hits the forcing cone and stops, even for a millishake, before the charge ignites, you might have a nifty grenade there. :o :-\

If you try this idea and it works, please let us know about your success! If it doesn't turn out so well please have someone else type in word of the failure. :-X
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

delmar

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on December 22, 2009, 06:29:16 PM
Weeellllll........... One of the problems the front stuffer pards encounter with 209 primers is that they a bit too powerfull! Some of the 209s are accused of lifting the powder charge/bullet up the bore before the powder actually ignites, creating a situation where in the charge doesn't burn evenly and wrecking accuracy. This has led to the creation of 209 primers just for the front stuffer pards, that are not quite so powerfull. And they are more EX$PEN$IVE too!!!!!

I can see this being a problem with C&B revolvers....only more so!!!!!! If the primer moves the charge/bullet, even part way up the chamber or into the bore prior to full ignition of the powder charge, yer goona encounter serious problems If the rpojectile hits the forcing cone and stops, even for a millishake, before the charge ignites, you might have a nifty grenade there. :o :-\

If you try this idea and it works, please let us know about your success! If it doesn't turn out so well please have someone else type in word of the failure. :-X
Well there are reasons to talk these things through, rather than run out and try every idea that pops into your brain.

delmar

I found these little cup holders that will make a small pistol primer fit in the 209 adapter.

These should work if there is room for the 209 adapter.

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: delmar on December 22, 2009, 06:51:26 PM
I found these little cup holders that will make a small pistol primer fit in the 209 adapter.

These should work if there is room for the 209 adapter.

Now THAT rght there is innerestin'!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Noz

Other than for the sheer thrill of trying something new, I don't understand. When small pistol/large pistol primers were unobtainable anywhere, I could walk into BassPro and buy CCI and Remington percussion caps.
Now percussion caps are going for $35 and primers for $37.50.

Paladin UK

Fer delmar..

Yup a splash from a TIG `n` filed flat agin!!

Here it is before filing

Paladin (Whats getting uncontrollably excited `bout Santa comin  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

delmar

So basicly, you had to put a bit of a bump on it, so it would dent the primer?

Tom W

Any chance you could do this for me if I sent the hammer or would you need to know what it looked like before it was butchered.

Paladin UK

Fer delmar......

QuoteSo basicly, you had to put a bit of a bump on it, so it would dent the primer?

Nope like I mentioned,  I filed it flat /flush the idea is to get rid of the gap in the hammer so`s the firing pin doesnt stick!!!

Paladin (What hopes he`s `splained it fer ya ;) ) UK

Paladins Web Site

delmar

Paladin
It appears to me that what you built is basicly the same thing I was thinking of putting together, but it looks like your
dimentions might be slightly smaller than the 209 adaptor. Is that right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com