Wild Bunch holster question

Started by Dave Cole, December 20, 2009, 11:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. George

The  leather (or web) slide was used with the Model 1912 Holster 'and' the M1910 web Mills Belt or the leather Garrison Belt - 'not' the Model 1912 Cavalry Holster with the swivel, which was worn on the M1912 web belt.

It was used when wearing the Dress Uniform in a Garrison setting - along with the leather double magazine pouch.

Later, it was modified a little, to better conform to the Model 1916 Holster and stayed on - being adopted by MP's and surviving in Black until the M1911A1 was phased out in 1988, with the adoption of the M12 Holster.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Dave Cole

Will, that is exactly what my customer brought up.I had done a "dropped" holster for another customer and when he saw it, he warned me about the problem of AD.Then again , he was in law enforcement, and he related a story to me of a large city police force that had recieved a bunch of exposed trigger holsters and immeadiately had several AD's, with a couple of officers injured.After reading the rules and seeing your explanation, I can see an AD would be almost impossible when holstered.Just trying to be safe as well as PC.Thanks.Dave ;D

JD, nothing wrong with that one, it looks great pard

JD Alan

Thanks guys. As I said ( and you can see) I'm really new to this craft, but I'm learning a lot from you guys, and really enjoying myself.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Skeeter Lewis

I've never seen the point of a recurve. You don't get your finger on the trigger that early in the draw. Apart from anything, it ain't safe.

Marshal Will Wingam

Skeeter, the reason for the deep recurve is for a faster draw. Done properly, you point your forefinger straight and grip the pistol with the other three, your thumb on the opposite side of the pistol for a secure grip. As you draw the pistol, your finger stays pointed parallel to the slide against the frame or wrapped around the trigger guard for stability until the pistol is downrange. When you pull the slide back with your opposite hand, your finger stays off the trigger. After the action closes, you slide your finger back onto the trigger and fire. With your finger extended along the line of the pistol on a holster with a shallow recurve or no recurve will give your finger something to drag on, slowing things somewhat and possibly even interfering with the draw. I wouldn't have thought of this until I made the first Frazier style holster and tried it.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only. You must decide for yourself.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skeeter Lewis

Thanks, Will. I'll try it that way.

outrider

This is one of my renditions of the WB holster...about a year ago or so
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider  :D

This another nice looking holster, similar to JD's, good style, I guess making a holster for a 1911, really depends on how it will be used, I'd be hard pressed to make up my mind on all these great looking holsters, I plan on getting a 1911 soon, so I appreciate Dave Cole starting this thread, although it might have changed course a few times, the information has been straight forward and informative.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

Outrider good looking holster. I like the color. KT

JD I dont know what the complaint is about. Great looking and great job... KT

JD Alan

Actually, my holster is similar to Outrider's, because his work was a great inspiration to me. The holster I made was a little too big; I used Slowhand Bob's pattern, (Thanks again Bob) but increased the size to accommodate a lining. I used a copy machine to blow up the pattern by 10%, which was too much.

I saw that 1911 holster of Outrider's when he first posted it and fell in love with look, and haven't changed my mind.     

Dave Cole

Outrider, that is a very classy looking holster pard.Dave

Dalton Masterson

I use the one out of the Stohlman book. It works good for me, for Wildbunch matches, but not for carry out in the field. It needs a strap and fits loose.
It does NOT work for our local action pistol stuff, as they require the trigger to be covered. That said, the pattern is very easy to modify.
I had worked up a prototype that is almost identical to Outriders, and use it for around the house, but it still needs some tweaking of angles. Havent gotten to that since October or so. Dang time...

I also agree with Marshal Will on the deep recurve. Personally, I like to feel the gun under my finger, even if it is the edge of the frame, and not the trigger. It helps me pull the gun out and have it rock solid in my hand.
DM

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Outrider, I really like the light stitching and the natural tie for the concho. It's a nice effect.

Springfield Slim

I personally just don't like the deep recurve look, safety issues aside. Just a matter of taste, or maybe just what we are used to.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

cowboywc

Howdy
That is a good lookin holster. I like the checkering.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Kid Terico

Nice holster and I like the color.KT

JD Alan

Springfield Slim, I agree with WC; that's a nice looking holster. The checkering is a great look, and so is the color.

Hey Dalton, nice to hear from you. Could you expand a little bit on what your local shooting location requires for 1911's? It seems like the requirements are different for every place. I'd like to know what yours are, and if they site a particular reason for their requirements.

I've read about 1911 holster regulations from different places, all sighting safety as the reasoning for their holster requirements, but what one place considers unsafe, another place is fine with. I guess this should not be surprising, since the rules and man made.

Thanks, JD 

Dalton Masterson

Howdy JD.
I only shoot CAS, and make most of my gear to meet CAS rules.
BUT, there is a action pistol club that uses the same range as us, that requires that the trigger be covered, mainly because they will start with the guns in different conditions of readiness. Some stages may call for the gun chambered, with safety on only. They dont want anyone to be able to stroke a trigger on the draw in this condition. I dont know if IPSC and the other run and gun games use this same rule or not, but they may.

I just try to make a holster pattern that will be easily made either with the trigger covered or not. I like both styles, but prefer the deep recurve myself. I noticed on my SASS revolver holsters as well, I have started to make deep recurves and high crowns on my holsters now, to suit my personal taste.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Thanks Dalton, I sure do appreciate you passing that info on. JD

Marshal Will Wingam

Slim, that holster is really nice looking. Good color for that pattern, too. Thanks for the pic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com