Wild Bunch holster question

Started by Dave Cole, December 20, 2009, 11:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Cole

Ok pards, question concerning design of the trigger guard area.If I read the rules correctly is just says traditional or military style.Now most of the 1911 holsters I have seen here do not have a drop at the guard, but in Al Stohlman's book on holsters, he shows a 1911 design with the drop  to the front of the guard.I had this discussion with one of my customers awhile back and he is a former FBI agent and a CAS shooter who thinks the drop on any semi-auto is a bit dangerous.So I pose the question on whether or not the drop at the guard should or should not be used, or whether it's traditional or not?Dave :)

This is how I do my "Modern " version of a 1911( the one on the left) with no drop

GunClick Rick

BUEATYMUS!! I gotta get one done fer my Luger ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

ChuckBurrows

Three originals:
Built by Frazier of Pueblo, CO

Worn by Texas Ranger Lonewolf Gonzaulas - circa 1920's

Worn By Texas Ranger Brill - circa 1920's

IMO - while the above styles are for SASS purposes considered Wild Bunch style they are a bit late as are most of those being offered by the various vendors (many IMO nothing more than a cowboyized IPSC style) - for a Wild Bunch M1911 Holster faithful to the spirit of the movie, look up those for the M1911 worn by the Cavalry circa 1911-1916 - the period of the Mexican Revolution when the movie was set..........

Here's the Model 1912 swivel type:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=146659930

Other Styles by EP Saddlery - including the Patton which is similar in style to the Frazier model pictured above......
http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-14-military.aspx
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dave Cole

Thanks Rick.  ;D

Chuck, thanks and that's what I was thinking, that most I was seeing were modern styled with Western accents.After seeing your bottom pic , I can see that they will work but the dropped guard area is probably more traditional.Cool , I love history.Thanks again, and Merry Christmas pard.Dave

Kid Terico

Dave these are for my own use and they vary.KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW, I guess I must have been sleeping, All you pards have displayed some beautiful and different looking 1911 leather, this is some right snazzy looking holsters, the gaiter really adds some character to these holsters, but the craftsmanship on all of them is top notch.

Thanks to all for sharing your work ::) :o :D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

JD Alan

WOW. Let me say it backwards, WOW, great work Dave. I appreciate you bringing this subject up, and I appreciate Chuck weighing in and sharing those great pictures.

Terry, those are great looking holsters. I know you make many of your own, and buy some from other guys as well. Are all of those your work? No matter what, they look absolutely great to me. Everything I've seen on this thread is an inspiration, and I appreciate everyone who shared their work and ideas.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Kid Terico

JD The one with the strap is not mine, The others are mine.  JD I dont buy from other people anymore. Been makeing all my own. I do buy a knife and sheath  once and a while. Very seldom.  :) ;) :D ;D  from the pards here.  If I buy one it would be from some one on this site to add to my collection. After my operation next month I have had the HONOR of TW telling me that he would me me a rig for my collect. He will be the first on this site.KT

JD Alan

After checking out the El Paso Saddlery website, I saw the item pictured below. I've not seen anything like this before. Is it what I think it is, a device allowing you to drop the 1911 holster? I'm greener than grass when it comes to this sort of stuff. Thanks for the help, JD

Dave Cole

JD, I believe it goes with this style of holster mounting.

Kid, as usual awesome work
Thanks for the kind words guys , but I am just trying to find out what is PC with the rules guys.Dave :)

Dr. Bob

The Cavalry model shown had the pivot.  The regular holster had wire hooks for the Mills belt.  Some were made with a loop for a Sam Brown belt.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dave Cole

Thanks for the clarification Doc.Gotta love the knowledge here.Dave ;D

JD Alan

Thanks Dave. The one I posted looks a little different than that. It sort of looks like a bolt on belt loop, for lack of a better discription. As I said, I know Nothing about military holsers, and next to nothing about everything else leather related, but I enjoy learning!

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice holsters, pards. Good work. Those look really good. Regarding the drop, Dave, remember that CAS WB match rules don't allow a round in the chamber and the hammer must be down so I'd think that an exposed trigger isn't too much of a safety hazard. I do feel that a flap holster is a greater potential for dropping a pistol on the clock and consequently more of a hazard. Here are a couple WB holsters I made.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Kid Terico

Marshal There cut nice and low. I like them llike that. Nice job. KT

Slowhand Bob

Howdy, Slwhand Bob here, on the grandsons computer in a land far far away (Georgia).Reall just thoughts but the original styles with the deep cut to expose the trigger kinda negate safety arguments concerning modern exposed triggers in my mind??  I also rremember one of the field style holsters offered by the old Safariland actually rested the trigger guard on the extra thick seam widener (billet), with the leather of the holsters main body extending to the base of the grip.  I guess this could seem to accomplish two things in the mind of sum......

JD Alan

I haven't heard any comments on the type of holtster "the man in black" uses. I read they had sold 1000 of those rigs already.

I'm interested in what the experienced guys think. Understanding no one wants to dis a particular maker, could someone tell me why that exposed style, if I can use that term, would not be a good idea? Maybe some comments on general styles and cuts of holsters?

If it's about not looking like the real thing or the movie version, I understand that view.

I've only made one 1911 holster, seen below. Please excuse the stamping, I figured out what I did wrong, and believe I can correct the next one I basket stamp. My friends who are shooting 1911's feel like the grip sits too low, not allowing them to grab on to it ready to rack & shoot.

I feel like ACE lately, as old back injuries have flaired up, limiting my abilities to be in the shop >:(   

Marshal Will Wingam

I just realized that we are talking about two different applications here.

The first is CAS Wild Bunch matches where the pistol is in the holster with no round in the chamber and the hammer down. The magazine is inserted into the pistol at the very last so there's no possible way a round can get into the chamber prior to the buzzer. On the clock, the pistol is drawn and the slide pulled to chamber the first round with the pistol pointed safely downrange. A deep cut recurve is fine under these conditions.

The second is carrying a pistol when it may be used. There is a round in the chamber and some people even carry the pistol cocked and the safety on. With a holster like this, exposing the trigger to acidental discharge is not the best practice. For these uses, I'd not want a deep recurve or none at all.

I hope this clarifies things some.

Nice holster, JD. I don't see any flaws. It's beautiful.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D :D :D :D ::)

Nice clarification Will, not knowing what holster style to use based on how you want to carry your gun, could be dangerous to say the least, safety has to come first.

JD, you keep talking about your mistakes on this holster, I only see a couple that are out of line, we all see our own mistakes, but this holster is beautiful Pard, I like everything about it, if you hadn't of said anything I never would have noticed, you're doing really nice work Pal.

tEN  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com