Holster/rig help

Started by Johnny Cicero, December 19, 2009, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Cicero

Hello all,

I've been reading about holsters and rigs and am getting confused by all the lingo. Is there a concise dictionary with explanations? Also, maybe some diagrams/advice on where the pistols should ride on your leg for comfort/ease/etc?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
J. Cicero

Ned Buckshot

Well seeing no one else jumping up I'll try to answer your question.

I don't know of a "dictionary" type explanation of various types styles etc. etc. ..............................................................

Probably the most understandable is "PACKING IRON" only because it's got a written description as well as photo's. But it isn't a cheap book to go out and buy.

The least expensive way is to just ask some specific questions like: what's the differance between a drop loop and straight rig?

Just ask, there is a ton and a half of information available here, that's all you need to do.

If somebody doesn't know I'll bet we can find out! ;D

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JC

Welcome to the Leather Shop forum, Like Ned said Packing Iron, would be your best reference for holsters and gun belts, you might find this book at a few Libraries, if you didn't want to buy one, you can also look through the Show Your Stuff thread here in this forum, just click on the Leather shop forum on the left side where all the different forums are listed, we have a vast selection of styles to look at, all done by leather workers here in this forum, so make yourself at home Pard.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

Howdy there Mr. J. Cicero, welcome to this neck of the woods!

I would suggest you send a PM (Private Message) To Ned Buckshot, the first fella that responded to your question. I've had some personal and business dealings with Ned, and I can tell you he is a standup, knowledgeable guy with a lot of experience in leatherwork and Cowboy Action Shooting. I believe he could answer all your questions.

Frankly any number of fellas here with a lot more experience than me could answer your questions too, including 10 Wolves Fiveshooter, another helpful and knowledgeable Pard as well.

Good luck to you, and God bless, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

GunClick Rick

I'm short 5'6" short arms,wear mine high like Shane, cross draw,the last guy i dropped on Main St. did'nt like them though  ;)

I'm faster than a black cat trying to lick his rear with his tail up and tounge already out!   :o LOOKOUT! :o Did ya see that?,knocked the ash right of that ceegar :-X

Check out the leather makers websites here.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Johnny Cicero

Thanks all. Good info.

My problem is that I don't know enough to ask questions. I think I just need to poke around in the suggest forum for pics and ideas. I'll go from there and come back to you folks for more help.

And when/if I ever get out of this crap snow, I'll try to hit the library for the book.

Thanks,
J. Cicero

Johnny Cicero

Ok. Here's one....

What would you say is the ideal location of the pistol handles? Handles close to the waist or further down? I think I find that if they are near my waist, I am kind of jammed up and really have to jack my arm up to draw them. But if they are further down, I can get them clear of the holster and start to raise to target with plenty of arm comfort.

But I'm new and have only worn my rig in the house (just got it yesterday from the leather shop), so I'm not sure what would be best for a real shoot.

And I'm currently looking through the show us yer stuff thread. A lot of nice leather!

-J. Cicero

Skeeter Lewis

Johnny, in FAQ HOW TO IDEAS you'll see 'Holster styles and variations'. It's worth a look.

White Buffalo Chip

Howdy JC,
Everybody's placement of the holster will
more than likely be different, depending on
body type and arm length. Personally I feel
more comfortable with the gun's grip at the
same level as my (RH) wrist joint, and my cross-
draw a couple inches higher(LH). Now if I'm
wearing them both butt forward they both are
at wrist level.Keep safe & have fun

WBC
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
--George Washington--

Forty Rod

Uh....just a mite off subject here: what is this "snow" of which you speak?

Seriously, go online and check out everybody's holster sites:  If you need more, ask for names.  There are maybe a hundred really good ones that are well-known,  and a few not so well known, but the pictures can give you a lot of ideas about what you want.

Once you get an idea...or several....or several hundred  ;D...then you can ask again.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

JD Alan

What kind of rig do you have? What are you planning in the way of shooting? If you're are using a cross draw and plan to shoot SASS, you will need to pratice your "Cross draw dance" so you don't violate the safety rules.

Practicing drawing and reholstering at home is a good idea, and include bringing your pistols to point of aim. Try wearing your holsters at different positions and you will likely find what feels best for you. Like someone said, every one has a different way of wearing their holsters, so what works for me may not work for you.

Caution: Be sure to not have any ammo around while you are practicing in the house-shop, and always check your guns before practicing. it's a good habit to get into. You would think that would go without saying, but "stuff" happens!

Before you know it you will be thinking about building you own leather equipment, or you may want to own a specific style, and this is the place to find it. There are lots of quality leather craftsmen here who can make you anything you want in the way of leather.     

I'm fairly new to leather working, and these guys inspire the heck out of me with their quality work. JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny Cicero

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 19, 2009, 06:36:40 PM
Uh....just a mite off subject here: what is this "snow" of which you speak?

Oh, just the nearly 2 feet of snow we got here today in Maryland.

Marshal Will Wingam

JC, the advice here has been very good so far. There are a lot of styles to choose from. In that regard, pick one you like the look of. As to comfort, That's an individual thing and a lot of comfort depends on use. I do cowboy action shoooting and like a slimjim for comfort. I like my holster to ride lower like a drop loop but get the same height with a pair of canted narrower belts. It's all a matter of preference rather than what is better.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

Go here ,watch the videos and read Docs stuff..

http://www.jspublications.net/
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com