Can Marlin 1895 Cowboy be Converted to 45-90 or 45- 110

Started by 44caliberkid, December 19, 2009, 12:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44caliberkid

Can a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 be re-chambered to the longer 45's, like 45-90, 45-100, or 45-110.

Delmonico

Nope, the modern 1895 is just a 336 and the 45-70 maxes it out, in fact yoiu need to watch the OAL in that also, I've heard some stories about rounds that will feed but won't eject unless you fire it or take it down.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Daniel Nighteyes

What Del said, and also ya need to watch the power of the 45-70 you shoot in the Marlin.  I bought some ammo from a well-known and reputable source.  It was specifically labeled as "45-70 Lever".  After the third or fourth round, the recoil started kicking the lever open.  And if you know the Marlin action, you know how difficult that would be!  It did the same thing with a friend's 45-70 Marlin, so it wasn't a problem unique to my rifle.

Dirty Brass

That's interesting - I have some rather stout 45/70 smokeless loads that I use in my 1886 Browning and was going to try them in my 1895 - just never got around to it. Now I'll make sure I do it soon.

Are you talking about some of the high end custom ammo made for the Ruger and Marlin guns available out there? Those I'd be leary of using in my '86 lever gun!  ;)

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Dirty Brass on December 20, 2009, 07:53:24 AM
Are you talking about some of the high end custom ammo made for the Ruger and Marlin guns available out there? Those I'd be leary of using in my '86 lever gun!  ;)

Nope, this was Cowboy ammunition.  And I strongly recommend that you avoid using any 45-70 loaded for the single-shot buffalo rifles.  Its got way too much oomph for the Marlin.  As syndicated radio humorist Red Neckerson used to say, "That's my opinion, oughta be yours!"

Delmonico

Myself I would have contacted the maker and told them of the problem.  Marlin's can handle  far higher pressures than the standard SAMMI specs of around 25,000 psi.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Delmonico on December 20, 2009, 11:52:16 AM
Myself I would have contacted the maker and told them of the problem.  Marlin's can handle  far higher pressures than the standard SAMMI specs of around 25,000 psi.

I did.

John Taylor

SAAMI for the 45-70 is 28,000. The 444 is 42,000. Seems like the new 95 should be able to handle a little more than a trapdoor.
John Taylor, gunsmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com