I would like you all's thoughts on veg tanned splits

Started by Ace Lungger, December 19, 2009, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I see that Tandy is going to have a big sale on there Veg Tanned 3/4oz splits, what I was wondering , will that leather work for chap legs??
I would be great full for any help?
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Forty Rod

Seems to be way too light for chaps

I used 2 1/2-3 oz deerskin for a gun bag and it's too thin for that.  I can't imagine that veg tan would be any better.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Gun Butcher

Ace, The veg tanned will be way to stiff for chaps.  What you need or or what would work best for chaps would be elk hides. if you want something heavier the oil tan utilityor stoned oil cowhides really look period when you get them built and none of us will last long enough to wear them out. ;)

FortyRod, I have an elk hide rifle case that has been around for quite awhile now and is not showing any signs of giving up yet. That buckskin is as you said just to soft by itsself.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

Thanks Everyone :)
I had never seen any splits, but the price was good!! I am great full to all for the advice, the chaps will just have to wait!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com