Question about a Uberti Henry

Started by John Smith, December 17, 2009, 03:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Smith

I have a chance to buy a Uberti made 1860 "Henry".  It is the military model, barrel and magazine "in the white", and sling swivels, in .45 Colt.  It is marked "Uberiti USA lakeville CT"  Theserial number is 10XXX.  Can anyone tell me about this rifle, is it worth $650?

Sgt.Jake

Another YES!                                                      Adios  Sgt.Jake

Fingers McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Daniel Nighteyes

And if you don't want it at that price, I'm sure that several pards here will be MOST interested... ;)

Major 2

It's rare to see them priced @ $650 , but it does happen , $750 -900 is not uncommon.

If it's not beaten or buggered grab it

I bought my first one in 1980 for $385 (Brand new in the box , shipped and FFL received )
I sold it, use but not abused 12 years later , during the Clinton Ban for $475.
8 years after that, my Wife bought me a NIB replacement @ $905.00 including Tax & BGC. 

I traded for the next one (a Steel frame) but the going price would have been $1050.00

Bought back old # 1 above along with some Uberti Cattleman ( I since sold ) from the guy I sold it to in 1992.
He was , getting out of the hobby.
When all that was done...I got the Henry back for $400.

IF you look you will see some letters in [ ]   stamped on it
example:  [AB] [AC]   this is the manufacture date code, post it here and we can tell you when it was made.
when planets align...do the deal !

John Smith

OK, picked up my "Henry", it is the military model with sling swivelsm and an "in the white" barrel/magazine.  Looks brand new, no chewed up screw heads, cart dings, or blemishes.  The date code on the barrel is BF and the serial number is 109XX.  I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Major 2

OK...then just for that,  I'm adding you to Henry Shooters List..that will teach You  ;D

John Smith

I can see that no good deed goes unpunished.  I saved a really nice 1860 Henry from dark banishment to a gun safe, and what do I get?  Addition to the infamous list of Henry Shooters!  Oh well, guess I'll just have to shoot it in a SASS and NCOWS match.  Just need to figure out how to make one of the "followers" so I won't have to master the "Henry hop".

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: John Smith on December 23, 2009, 07:22:51 PM
Just need to figure out how to make one of the "followers" so I won't have to master the "Henry hop".

That's easy. 

1.  Get some dowel stock that's slightly smaller in diameter than the bullets.

2.  Cut it to the proper length (you get to decide what the "proper length" is).

3.  Put a travel stop on it so the dowel won't get into the carrier.  That's as a bit of nail or smaller dowel set at right angles
     into the follower so that it:

(a) protrudes through the follower slot in the mag tube, and

(b) comes to rest against the receiver just before the end of the dowel protrudes into the carrier.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

River City John

Quote from: John Smith on December 23, 2009, 07:22:51 PM
Oh well, guess I'll just have to shoot it in a SASS and NCOWS match.  Just need to figure out how to make one of the "followers" so I won't have to master the "Henry hop".

Best check on that modified follower being kosher for NCOWS use. In general we have disallowed all modifications. Check with our National Judge, Trap, up in the NCOWS Forum. :)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Flint

River City, it's not a modified follower, it is a dowel with a slot riding pin loaded into the magazine after the cartridges have been loaded, and it is long enough (about 4 inches) to keep the follower spur from reaching your hand before the last cartridge is fed into the carrier.  Basically it is like loadin 10 rounds but filling the rest of the magazine capacity with a wood or plastic dowel that will stop the follower early.  The slot riding pin also stops the device before it can enter the carrier/lifter and jamb the action.

Of course, you must remove the dowel from the magazine before reloading, as it must be iinstalled on top of the last round.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

River City John

Quote from: Flint on December 23, 2009, 11:48:25 PM
River City, it's not a modified follower, it is a dowel with a slot riding pin loaded into the magazine after the cartridges have been loaded, and it is long enough (about 4 inches) to keep the follower spur from reaching your hand before the last cartridge is fed into the carrier.  Basically it is like loadin 10 rounds but filling the rest of the magazine capacity with a wood or plastic dowel that will stop the follower early.  The slot riding pin also stops the device before it can enter the carrier/lifter and jamb the action.

Of course, you must remove the dowel from the magazine before reloading, as it must be iinstalled on top of the last round.

Is there documentation that this was done to the originals during the 19th century, or is this a modern modification created in response to cowboy action shooting?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Major 2

No providence I'm aware of , but it's not a Modification as such.
It's just a simple spacer and requires no modification to the Henry at all.

Personally, I don't use mine, I make them more as a safety for a shooter not quite use to the Henry hop...
If NCOWS does not approve there is no issue, it won't be used period !

Photos courtesy of Driftwood Johnson

Marshall John Joseph

Major 2:

Great photos.  Thanks.   :D

MJJ

Major 2

Thanks go to DJ.. :) I was just the messenger....

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy and congratulations on your GREAT purchase!

Now ... why do ya wanna spoil a great rifle by using a "gamer" toy?  I mastered the "hop" by the 2nd or 3rd load of cartridges in the one I was using!  If I can, anyone can.  Besides, how authentic could you be than have a slight problem, just like they did "back in the day?!"

;)

Your mileage may vary.

And yes, I BELIEVE in authenticity ... as much as possible.  But I'm NOT gonna quit driving to the range and start walking there ... or ridin' a mule!

;D ;D ;D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

congradulations on a outstanding bargin
Mathew 5.9

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on December 25, 2009, 12:50:40 AM
Now ... why do ya wanna spoil a great rifle by using a "gamer" toy?  I mastered the "hop" by the 2nd or 3rd load of cartridges in the one I was using!

I shoot SASS and W3G rather than NCOWS, so I want the option.  There will be days when I don't want to use it, and others when I do.  The "do" days will most likely be those when I'm having difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time...  :-[

-- Nighteyes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com