Original 1873 32.win question.

Started by Don Nix, December 16, 2009, 02:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nix

I know that ya'll are the experts on theses old firearms and I have a question,
I have my great grandfathers 73 win in 32-20. He kept with him daily until he gave it to my Dad in the late 60s. We bought him a new 30-30 and "swapped" him for it.
The forestock is worn completely through where it was carried on the saddle bows. He rode a horse and mule for years as a timber Ranger  in Eastern Oklahoma  well into the 1960s.
I have only fired the rifle once  as he only had three shells left when we  got the rifle and we could not buy 32-20 ammo back then.
Now with 32-20 being available I would like to shoot the rifle  a little.
i am a little afraid of breaking something  130 odds years old but i remeber him killing squirrels with it when I was a kid. Its a littlel light for deer but I would like to hunt with it some. I think it would be near to kill a deer with Ggrandpa old rifle.
Can anyone give me some advice on using this old rifle and reccomend ammo type .
thanks

John Taylor

Because there are a lot of old black powder rifles in 32-20 the SAAMI pressure is set low at 16,000 for this cartridge. The action of a 73 is strong enough for the factory loaded 32-20. Make sure the bore is in good shape and the gun is good mechanically and have fun. There are several companies that make parts for these old rifles.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Jed Cooper

Don, Most states don,t allow 32-20 for deer hunting. We all know that back in the day, a fellow would use what ever he had to put food on the table. That said, I have old winchesters in 32-20, as well as 25-20. They are fun to use on smaller game such as rabbits, & tree rats, as well as many varmints such as coyotes, ground hogs, & the like. Targets, & plinking are big fun too. Just enjoy it,& cherish it's origin.       Jed   
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Shotgun Franklin

It wouldn't be to hard to use the gun with black powder. I don't think anyone really considers the .32-20 a Deer gun so just load it for smaller game. I think squirrels are more fun to hunt than deer anyway.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com