Who reads the Journal?

Started by Slowhand Bob, December 16, 2009, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

I am sure most of you guys know about the The Leather Workers and Saddlers Journal and just wondered who reads it?  I seldom see any reference to it as a source of information or projects/patterns.  I fear I have slipped into the habit of quickly thumbing through my issues and promising to go back later for a more in depth study but it doesnt happen much anymore.  This is definitely not the magazines fault as I rate it a two thumbs up for leather workers.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on December 16, 2009, 09:05:21 AM
I am sure most of you guys know about the The Leather Workers and Saddlers Journal and just wondered who reads it?  I seldom see any reference to it as a source of information or projects/patterns.  I fear I have slipped into the habit of quickly thumbing through my issues and promising to go back later for a more in depth study but it doesnt happen much anymore.  This is definitely not the magazines fault as I rate it a two thumbs up for leather workers.

:D ;D :D ;D :D  Good suggestion Bob, and the Journal would make a nice Christmas Gift too, thanks for the heads up. 8) ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

I have a subscription, and read most of the stuff in it. Being new to leather working, I'm always looking for new information. I can't say I receive a great deal of useful information from the magazine; I learn a lot more just reading this forum 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

I read it from cover to cover, but most of what is in it does not pertain to the stuff I make. But, its still a valuable resource, with lots of information that can be used eventually. I wish there was a section on gun leather and old west type stuff, but alas there are leatherworkers out there that do other stuff as well.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

I want to change me answer to Dalton's answer! His is a better reflection of what I think. Hey Dalton, can I get you to think for me a liitle more often?  ;D
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboywc

I read it but sometimes depending on how busy it is around here I skip over things that don't interest me and sometimes I make it back to them but most time not.
I do recommend it to all beginners.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ned Buckshot

I subscribed when I first started, the most value I found in it was a source for hardware and materials.

Course that was way back when I and most other people didn't own a computer! :P

Most of the stuff in it just doesn't interest me at this point, perhaps it will again!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

knucklehead

i just restarted my subscription to the fine mag.

forgot about it for a few years but i have it back now.

i find stuff in it to make but for the most part i just store it till the light bulb in my head starts glowing brightly and i remember i saw it somewhere. then i just start looking for the idea in the books.

i dont always use the pattern in the mags, mainly use the patterns as a base to creating my own pattern.

i also find stuff in there that i didnt even think about doing.

overall very usefull information and a resourse that many leatherworkers should not be without.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Slowhand Bob

Alas DM, through the years I have frequently found that many leather workers actually look down on those of us who do anything related to guns or hunting.  Some years back I called a large distributor concerning their grading of leather, the young lady on the phone sure took on a cold tone to her voice when I told her their product would be used for holster making.  I guess I was not a part of the customer base she normally dealt with!

Some of the older guys will remember The LeatherCraftsman, a great old magazine that was around for many years and I once had an impressive collection of them.  I think they did tend to offer a slight bit more for the holster maker BUT it was geared frequently to some high end Hollywood techniques.  There was one that described the construction of a highly filigreed Buscadero rig and another used a similar technique to create skeletal holsters that displayed the pistols within them.  Sadly, this collection was lost while I was living in a closet between wives!

It just does not seem that there is enough time to really dig into them.  Something helpful would be an in depth index to allow one to find particular articles.  I do remember that in the not to distant past there was an article on shot shell pouches that I wanted to bring to JDs attention, but now it will have to wait until next year to be found.  Just in case I do not get back on again, Merry Christmas, happy New Year and good will to each and every one of you.

Dalton Masterson

SB, thats funny. I tend to look down on those folks that dont build holsters and old west stuff!!! At least down on the ones that look down on us anyway. ;)

(Actually, I dont look down on anybody personally. Just not the cowboy way)

I have a few copies of the Leather Craftsman. It was a good read just looking at the copies I have.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Howdy Fella's,
I think you all have said all that can be said! I am a combination of all of you toghter. I do injoy it!!! And I find myself going back to it months latter, just looking for insite! What I admir is the Talnet that it display's! Like was mention earlier, they don't have anything pertaining to Holsters, but I try and take the stamping and the carving that is shown and learn from it! I only wish that I could afford to try and make some of the stuff that is shown in the Journal!
I thank you SB for bringing this topic up, I think that there should be more topics brung to light that everyone can voice there ideas. This is the best forum going!! And I wished that we as a group could bring more learning topics to the forum, but I can't because I am still trying to learn myself, that is why I ask some dumb questions once in a while trying to get our group involed in the answers, so us Newbies can learn from you Masters!!
Thanks SB.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

Ace ,ol'buddy the questions that you and JD and others have asked have been the main cause of me learning so much more about this craft. So don't ever stop asking cause most of the time its a question I didn't think of and the answers that the Pards give always help
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

panhead pete

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but there is another trade pub out there.  "Shop Talk, With Boot & Shoe news is a pretty good publication.  It is geared toward larger or shall I say Full Time leather workers but it is an excellent source for supplies and such.   Shop Talk will have suppliers on there who don't have websites so there are some good contacts.  Also, the journal sells a lot of old (used) good quality tools.  Go to proleptic.com for more info.  This forum has been very valuable.  I have gained more knowledge and ideas here than anywhere else!!

Happy carving,

Panhead

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com