Chest Holsters ?

Started by Freedom, December 12, 2009, 09:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom

Hi guys,

I have been really working on my own design for a good way to carry , I often have a backpack on or I'm in and out of the truck on the ranch.

A hip holster just doesn't fit the bill in a lot of cases. And a shoulder holster is not that comfortable with a big revolver.

I have about perfected what I feel is a great pistol holster for my needs..And it makes a great holster for the ladies as well.

My question is based on the post with a new shooter that would like to shoot but he is in a wheel chair..

I know I would have to "Cowboy" this up some but do you think the design would qualify it to be used? or are the rules to strict to allow this holster. It is kind of "Doc Holiday" . I have shot at a few ranges that would not allow shoulder holsters because of the rearward sweep of the barrel on the draw..But this one never points the barrel rearward.

What do you guys think??
Sure appreciate any advice, Wes

www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Slowhand Bob

J do not think this could get passed in its current configuration as it appears to break the 30deg by a fair margin.  SASS has always been more than lenient concerning the inclusion of people with handicaps by allowingmost rules to be bypassed in most cases, except those that apply to safety.  What I have seen as the most common form of pistol adaptation to wheel chair bound individuals has been holster mounted to the chair just outside the arm rests.  This is not only safe but actually could be a fast delivery.  As mentioned by someone else, the addition of long gun mounts to the wheel chair itself is very doable also.

JD Alan

Hey there Freedom, the holster may not pass SASS muster, but it's still a good looking and well executed design. If a bad guy saw that gun strapped to a ladie like that, he'd better have second thoughts about trying to do any damage! 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

Freedom, that is a very effective design. I don't know about SASS  , but I like it and you did a very nice job on each configuration.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ned Buckshot

What a great design Freedom! I Love It!! 8)

I think that weather it is SASS legal or not is irrelevant, that holster has SOoo many other applications.

Dirt bike, Horse back, ATV, Canoe etc. etc.

Good job Pard ya did well! ;D

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

St. George

Bianchi's made a similar rig for years - marketed towards armored vehicle crewmen, and adaptable to the M12 Holster.

I have one - they're comfortable enough, but get in the way of 'everything'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

outrider

Freedom,

That is one nice design.  As others have mentioned  not exactly SASS oriented....but neither is the S&W in the holster...if you need additional ideas...take a look at the 1942 Tanker holster design...they wore them in the tanks and also pilots used them...I was recently given one by a friend who was a chopper pilot in Nam...I believe El Paso Saddlery also has some modified for revolvers...just a suggestion
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

St. George

As an aside:

The Army issued the M3 and M7 shoulder holster for M1911A1 automatics - the M7 having an adjustable chest strap.

For the revolver - the shoulder holster was quite similar in construction - but with no model designation - it was merely called the 'Holster, Shoulder, for Revolver Caliber .38 Special' - and 'that' designator carried over to the version with the spring-clip.

Both the M7 and the revolver rig are still being issued and many, many WWII-made holsters were issued for service in RVN and other places.

Apparently, Uncle Sam made a boatload of the things.

The idea behind a military shoulder holster was/is the ability to keep the piece from getting hung up within tight confines - though there are several varieties designed for a concealment purpose for CID and the like - but they're harder to locate.

The rig shown is nicely made.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Shotgun Franklin

Yep, similar holsters have been around for awhile. For the civilian market, they are very hard to hide unless it's really cold out. If you look around at SWAT or SERT Units you'll see that they're going to the thigh holster.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Freedom

Nice design, I remember a few of my friends back several years ago, that wore a similar type holster, for there large revolvers, but only for hunting, I like the idea, and find it to be a great design, when sitting or driving the gun is secure and out of the way, as long as it isn't too large a revolver, the size your lady is wearing would be perfect, also nice for over a warm coat, for easy access, like others have said, SASS would most likely frown on it, but it does have plenty of uses besides SASS, keep these good ideas coming pard, we looovveess new and innovative ideas here. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

Nice lay out. If you use it for what you made it for ,conveniance around the work place then I think u accomplished what u wanted. What more could u ask for. KT

Freedom

Thank You Guys!! I sure appreciate the advice and encouragement.

I spent the day at a gunshow, managed to sell the one I used all huntings season to a fellow there. Then took one of the holsters around to several big sporting goods stores and I think I may have a few commercial orders lined up for them.

I really scored and met Mike Venturino at the gunshow, he didn't have a table but he was just here looking... (for those that don't know) He is a old west writter for some of the gun magazines we read and author of several good books like "Shooting Buffallo Rifles of the Old West" and "Shooting Sixguns of the Old West" to name a few. He was good to talk to and he sure liked my holster rig. He even hinted that he may be interested in doing an article about my stuff in the near future....I sure could use that boost to my business.  ;D

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!!
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Shotgun Franklin

Before you sell to many of'm you might want to make sure there's not someone else with a patent on the idea/design.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

litl rooster

Quote from: St. George on December 13, 2009, 08:40:38 AM
As an aside:

For the revolver - the shoulder holster was quite similar in construction - but with no model designation - it was merely called the 'Holster, Shoulder, for Revolver Caliber .38 Special' - and 'that' designator carried over to the version with the spring-clip.

The idea behind a military shoulder holster was/is the ability to keep the piece from getting hung up within tight confines - though there are several varieties designed for a concealment purpose for CID and the like - but they're harder to locate.

Scouts Out!

they and some of their counterparts[osi and others including pilots] also used a vest with the revolver holster attached. I remember tank jockeys always trying to scrounge them to keep their issused holster from hanging up in confined areas.
Mathew 5.9

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good looking rig, Freedom. Yeah, not cowboy, but certainly a good way to carry a shootin' iron. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

St. George

That was the SRU21/P Survival Vest.

It's still issued, and great for a pilot or aircrew - worthless for anyone who had to do 'more' than fly - the nylon raschel weave caught on pretty much everything, unless you could wear it under something - plus, the holster was for the .38 revolver - only, and guys who made their living on the ground didn't have much need for the cartridge unless they had Aviation based nearby, with ammunition availability.

Easier to use the M7 rig and hook a web magazine pouch onto the cross-strap for a pair of .45 magazines.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com