Uberti 1866 durability

Started by bluejay, December 10, 2009, 08:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluejay

Pards,

How are you finding the durability of the Uberti 1866's? I plan on using handloads of Cowboy Action velocity, say 750 - 800 fps., for plinking. I would also like to be able to use some handloads approximating commercial ammo, say 950 fps., for hunting. My bullets are 250 grain lead RNFP's.

The 1866's are less money to buy and look pretty good. If I got one, I don't want to wear it out or damage it It would be hard to sell or trade in that condition. What do you think? If everyone says stay away, I will.

Daniel Nighteyes

Until quite recently I shot my Uberti '66 carbine at two to three matches per month, and had been doing it for two years or so. ( I only stopped 'cause I ran outa boolits and money at the same time.)  I used ammo loaded near the top end of SASS specs.  So far not even the hint of a problem.

Once I get all jobbed up again I plan to resume shooting it just like before.

Does this help?

Daniel Nighteyes

By the way, one match-worth of ammunition is from 60 to 100 rounds.  And I use 200-grain RNFP bullets.

bluejay

Yes that helps a lot Daniel. By the way, I like how you have personalized your Yellowboy, very nice.

I should have asked this before. Are the ones made 5 or 10 years ago built to the the same standards and design as now? I may end up buying a used one online. Are there any "wear items" I should be prepared to replace?

Daniel Nighteyes

There are some minor differences, I believe, but I've not heard of any real issues.  Others will probably chime in with additional information.

The most "breakable" item on a '66, and one that almost every shooter has had to replace, is the loading gate.  Specifically, there's a little bent-over piece on the front edge of the loading gate that keeps the next round from entering the carrier block too soon.  It breaks off very easily and, once it does, the rifle is out of action until it is replaced.  VTI Gun Parts and others sell strengthened replacements that don't break.

You might also want to peruse the 1860 Henry Board because the '66 is considered an improved Henry, and there are plenty of '66 discussions there.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,80.0.html

Fingers McGee

I've had my Uberti '66 carbine in 44-40 as a main match gun since Feb 2003.  I shoot 2-4 local matches and one out of state annual/regional match a month from March thru Oct.  The ladle on mine broke about 3 years ago and I replaced it with an aftermarket one from VTI that has a deeper scoop in it taht makes loading the rifle a breeze.  The last couple years it has become rather primer sensitive, not liking all Winchester primers.  A switch to Federals has solves that problem.  This rifle has not been short stroked nor has it had an action job; but it is a really smooth running machine none-the-less.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

bluejay

The loading gate sounds like a fairly easy fix. I seem to remember hearing about that now. I think I will visit the Henry area for some more info.

And yes I hear they are smooth to cycle and fun to shoot.

the missing link

I have had my Uberti 66 carbine in 44-40 sinse 1982 and have been using it hard in all this years with no problems at all. I am using a 220 gr. bullet and a full load og black or sub whits are starting the bullet at 1200 fps.   I would not even think of buing myselv a new one.

The Missing Link

Oddman

I started shooting my 66 about 10 years ago, I shoot 200 gr. bullets with 7 gr. od Unique, I put around 1500 to 2000 rounds through it every year, no problems other than the loading gate tab. (quick fix). Its a stock gun with no mods, very smooth, great rifle.

Camille Eonich

As the others have said the '66 is a great rifle.  The action is the same as the later model '73.  A '66 is a tad bit heavier than the same length '73 but I don't think that it's enough to make a difference to most folks.  The '66 is a little more difficult to take apart and clean than the '73.

Great choice for a rifle.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Camille Eonich on December 18, 2009, 12:58:52 PM
As the others have said the '66 is a great rifle.  The action is the same as the later model '73.

There is one difference.  The '73 has the safety interlock that keeps it from firing unless the lever is completely closed.  The '66 does not.  I've not heard of this causing any problems, especially with the light loads we shoot, but it is a difference.

Steel Horse Bailey

Unlike many ... or probably most ... I shoot nothing but full-power loads; they're loaded to maximum safe, published limits in my Uberti 1866 Winchester Sporting Rifle (clone).  Mostly with BP; a full case of 3F, a card wad then compressed 1/8" to 3/16" to 1/4" and then a 250 gr. BigLube (tm) boolit seated on top with a good crimp.  That's whut I've been shooting since 2002 or '03.  When I bought the rifle in 1998 or '99, (I fergit, egg-acktly - sorry! ;) ) I shot full-powered smokeyless loads.  Can you say "warthog,"   and proud of it!  Why?  I wish to shoot as was done "back in the day" and they didn't use anything but full-power loads.

What am I getting at?  Like many, I started off with a Win. '94 Trapper, then a great Rossi (imported by Interarms) '92 Winchester Sporting Rifle clone.  I had a chance to shoot a Henry one day and found a '66 at the local "toy store."  I was somewhat hesitant about shooting my loads in a "brass" framed rifle.  (Actually, it's called Artillery Bronze, and a few other similar terms: bronze is stronger than brass. But some say it IS plain old brass.  But no matter.)  Anyway, I did some research on the Uberti clones and I found an article written by a SASS champion shooter who shot an (Uberti) Win. '66 in 45 Colt.  I'm sorry ... I DON'T remember his name, but he was one of the "top dogs" in the 90s.  He shot NOTHING but factory full-powered loads, and at the time of writing had shot OVER 75,000 rounds ... with NO stretching or problems due to the brass frame.

I figured that was good enough for me,   so I bought the '66 and have never looked back or been sorry!

Of course, your mileage may vary ...

Ride easy!

PS:  I have only done one thing to my rifle - besides giving it a home gunsmithing "smooth-up;  I replaced the lever springs.  I didn't HAVE to at the time, I did it for future functioning.  By the way, my cartridge loading gate (ladle) is still stock, but it came with the improved type which has a welded cartridge stop, rather than Uberti's original design with a simple bent-up tab.  Which nearly ALWAYS fails ... as both Daniel and Fingers mentioned.

I don't shoot as much as #1:  I used to, or #2:  I'd like to, but my '66 is probably nearing the 7,000 - 8,000 round count.

Happy Trails ...   and y'all have a Merry Christmas !

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Nine Toe Jim

I've had my 66 since the end of 1985 and it has always worked fine. I had a sight problem once but that was a Lyman Tang sight and not the stock sight. It has since been removed. It's a 44-40 and I use 200 gn RNFP bullets over 7 gns of Unique. No problems with the loading gate. Oops forgot. Don't try to load 45 Colt into it HAW!. Did that once. Got a round of pistol ammo mixed in with the 44-40's. No fun at all.

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com