NCOWS Approved Bullets?

Started by kflach, December 07, 2009, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflach

I'm checking in to different ammo. There's such a variety I'm a bit overwhelmed. Is a "Round Nose Flat Point" the same as a "Semi Wad Cutter" the same as a "Truncated Flat Point" the same as a "Conical Nose" the same as a "Lead Flat Nose?"

Are any of these *not* NCOWS legal?

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: kflach on December 07, 2009, 03:42:30 PM
I'm checking in to different ammo. There's such a variety I'm a bit overwhelmed. Is a "Round Nose Flat Point" the same as a "Semi Wad Cutter" the same as a "Truncated Flat Point" the same as a "Conical Nose" the same as a "Lead Flat Nose?"

Are any of these *not* NCOWS legal?

Here's a picture of various projectile silhouettes:

NCOWS regs:

Quote10-2.        Smokeless powder loads shall not exceed the maximum muzzle velocities of comparable black powder loads,e.g. 1500 fps for single shot cartridge rifles; 1300 fps for lever action rifles; 1000fps for handguns. Smokeless loads may be chronographed and certified by the Judge before the shooter will be allowed to compete. No loading below manufacture's recommendation. Minimum velocity for any main match firearm is 600fps or published loading data.

Quote17.   No squib or magnum velocity loads. No jacketed bullets, only cast lead alloy only bullets. Shot is to be lead only, and no larger than #7 1/2's. Only cartridges and velocities approved in The Tally Book are allowed. Shooters may be held responsible for damage caused to a target by too "hot" a load.

Most of the economic ammo you find will be non-jacketed lead alloy bullets in a round nose, or round nose with a flat point.   Wadcutter bullets can cause feeding problems in your lever gun.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

River City John

Kflach
In solid lead, all would be NCOWS legal. Some of those names may describe the same basic shape, you're right.

Just no jacketed bullets.

Round nose flat point (RNFP) would be the best to use in both revolver and lever gun, and the closest to authentic ammunition from the period used in both long arms and side arms. The rounded part helps to chamber rounds easier in a lever gun.
DO NOT USE true round nose in a lever gun magazine. Anything with a flat nose that covers the primer pocket ahead of it in a stacked magazine is safe. A round nose would rest against the primer only and has caused problems.

There are some variations in 'semi-wadcutter' shapes, so try one out to see if they cycle in your lever gun. True wadcutters, if set flush with the case mouth as often loaded, will likely jam in a lever gun when trying to slide it forward off the carrier to chamber.

A revolver will take any of those shapes you mentioned without a hitch.

Try out a lot of different types and weights of lead bullets to see which cycle well in your lever gun and your gun likes. Different weights of bullet will change the impact point when holding the same sight picture. You're looking for the best combination of price/ hitting to point of aim/manageable recoil.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Ottawa Creek Bill

I use hollow point round balls in my Colt 1860's ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I didn't think the hollow points was in the balls! ;D  ::) :D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dr. Bob

Sir Charles,

And you make a DAMNED fine scoundrel!  Well said!  ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

kflach

Thanks for all the info. I'm beginning to comprehend...

[Note to self: when it comes to my balls, take OCB's advice with a grain of salt.]

<grin>

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com