Bulk Remanufactured Ammo

Started by kflach, December 07, 2009, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflach

I'm learning about ammo (.38 Spl). It'll be a while before I can even think about reloading so I'm trying to figure out how to control my costs. Is Bulk Remanufactured Ammo worth a darn when it comes to Cowboy Action Shooting?

Howdy Doody

I am guessing you are talking about BP loaded ammo. Well, Ten X reloads BP subs into brass, yours or theirs. Powder Inc also sells Black Dawge loaded ammo, also with a sub. All you really need to know when buying is whether it is a sub or true BP because I recommend getting sub brass into water as soon as possible after firing. Save all your brass after cleaning, because if you shoot a lot, sooner or later you will get into reloading to save money. In the case of Ten X you can send them your .38 brass and they will load it for you.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Wolfgang

Quote from: kflach on December 07, 2009, 03:17:46 PM
I'm learning about ammo (.38 Spl). It'll be a while before I can even think about reloading so I'm trying to figure out how to control my costs. Is Bulk Remanufactured Ammo worth a darn when it comes to Cowboy Action Shooting?

It'll be a while before I can even think about reloading   Why ?   

It doesn't really cost much to start.  Isn't hard. And it is very satisfying to shoot yur own loads.  If you're loading black powder you don't need a scale.  Just a single stage press and a set of dies.  Easy to get bullets and powder.  You'll have FUN  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Dick Dastardly

I just checked and LEE is selling their "C" press for Forty bux and a die set runs the same and includes a dipper.  So for $80 you can be up and running with new equipment.  38 Spl brass is readily available and usually you can get some at a match if you ask around.  Then, you need lube/sized bullets and a number of good casters will sell you those and you will need some primers and they are now becoming more available.

As far as "bulk" ammo is concerned, get it, shoot it and keep the brass.  There's some, but not much, black powder ammo being sold.  Lots more of the heathen fad smokeyless stuff.  Still ok if yer just gettn' yer feet wet, so to speak.  Just hang onto the brass.

So, you lookin' for bp ammo, or heathen fad smokeyless stuff?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

kflach

Only $80 to start? I was thinking $300 - $400 on the low side. Maybe I can start sooner than I thought. Even $80 will probably have to wait until after Christmas, but that's not too long. I was planning on going to the library, finding some books on reloading and starting to learn about it early next year anyways.

I *only* use The Holy Black in my Remington, and I'd prefer to use BP just as a matter of principal, but I'm open to the idea of using the heathen stuff for taking my daughter, wife and a few friends out to the range now and then. I'm looking at a new rifle for Christmas and I've got to learn what's involved in cleaning it properly (I'll spend the next few days going through archived threads to figure that out). The time it takes to clean both my Remmie and my rifle will probably determine how often I sink into The Smokeyless Pit with the heathens.

When I get to the point where I'm reloading, I'm definitely planning on checking out the Big Lube Bullets. They sound like they'll make things a lot easier.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

A "C" press as suggested by Dick is great, but after I won a LEE HAND PRESS at a match, it is my go-to press.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1260289548.2829=/html/catalog/rlpress1.html

It is compact, portable and powerful enough for 99% of resizing.  When you finally get that fully automated progressive press, you will still find uses for it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

kflach

This info is great! I guess I'll look into it sooner than I expected.

Pony Racer

kflach, to help a fellow darksider to get started.

I am more than willing to send you 500 pieces of mixed brass (38spl only) at the cost of shipping only.

Call it the spirit of Christmas or being a good fellow cowboy, darksider, and/or shipmate.

You will have to deprime it, resize it, reprime it and load it with your new machine and dies but it will help with initial costs.

let me know,

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

J.D. Yellowhammer

These folks are in Bartlett, TN, outside Memphis.  I've shot a lot of their stuff, from Cowboy ammo that just needs to go Bang! to .45-70, which should be able to hit a target some distance away.  They make good ammo. And compared to many, they're cheap. Plus, they sell reloaded for even less, and bulk.  And I believe they have a deal like 10X, where you can return brass for greater savings. They have smokeless and black powder (subs). I don't work for them, but it's always good to promote local biznis.  ;)

http://www.ammodirect.com/

I have a Lee Classic, single stage that I use for single shot rifle.  It would be a little slow but would work fine for cowboy pistol ammo.  (I'm fortunate to have a Dillon for that stuff).
Like the other folks said, you can make fine ammunition with a single stage, and it doesn't hurt too bad on the wallet.  (Until you try to buy primers  :o :o :o)
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

J.D. Yellowhammer

Heck, I'll get some Christmas spirit, too. I don't have a hoard or stash but if you get a press and you're serious about reloading, I can manage to send you a box or two of primers (100/box).
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

fourfingersofdeath

I'd use the money that you were going to buy the reloaded ammo for and get a basic set up and start doing it yourself. The cost of the first 5-6 boxes of 50 will about pay for your basic Lee C press or handpress I'm thinking. We all pretty much started out the same way (I started out on a Lee loader) and progressed from there. Sniff around the shooting club, should be some help there, maybe even a club armourer that reloads ammo on the cheap.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

kflach

Pony Racer & J.D.,

I've sent you both PMs. There was a weird glitch when I sent Pony Racer's PM so if you don't get it let me know and I'll resend.

I'm rather overwhelmed at your offers - I've never seen the kind of generosity I've experienced since getting involved here and with The Texas Ten Horns.

I was out visiting Oklahoma Tom (3B Shooting Supply in Kaufman, Texas) last night and he showed me how the Lee Hand Press worked. It looks like it'll be perfect for me so as soon as Christmas is over I'll pick one up from him. He's been a lifesaver and he's *always* 'over-served" me!

It's rather amazing. Six months ago I would have never imagined myself involved in CAS...

Pony Racer

KF, no new PM has been recieved according to my folder.

As I thought about reloading I had a bunch of questions too and luckily local and cowboy's here on this net helped me make some good choices and I have been reloading ever since.

I too never would have thought back in late 90's early 2000 that I would get hooked by not only Cowboy shooting but especially black powder shooting/reloading.  I shot mostly semi auto assault type rifles for target and hunting and hand guns to better myself for my duties as a Law enforcement boarding officer for USCG.

A senior CAPT (O-6 in USCG) got me started and I have never met so a wide range of awesome people in my life.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

KF - after I posetd above the PM popped in.

Computers - hate them or love them - we need them!!

Don't worry I was fully in my senses when offer was made - it is my pleasure to help another pard like I have been helped throughout the years.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

J.D. Yellowhammer

My pleasure, too.  ;)

I've been plinking, shooting and a little hunting my whole life, but I got bitten by the CAS bug during a trip to Tombstone. After watching the re-staging of the shootout and walking the hallowed streets of that notorious town, I walked into Spangenburgs gunshop (where Wyatt and the boys bought and serviced their firearms in the day) and bought me a six-shooter.  The sickness has only grown since then.  And you'll find that reloading is it's own, special illness that leads to big credit card bills, low bank accounts, and Huge Grins!  ;D ;D ;D

Fairshake

Kflach, While I own a Lee hand press, I don't think that it is the best thing for a new reloader to start with. I have been reloading since 1968 and started with the the original Lee kit. You seated primers with a "HAMMER" and I had a few go off. It would no harm other than stop your heart for a few seconds. I now have a Dillon550 , Lee Classic turret and three single stage presses. You will have the same if you load long enough. I have a Lee Challenger " Like New"that I will sell you $35 if you pay shipping to help you get started. I will also put some 38 spl cases in the box for you along with a set of dies. The dies are RCBS and not carbide but they will be free. It's not that big of a deal to lube the cases before sizing. So if you want a press, dies, and caes for $35 and shipping just let me know. I hope you and yours have a great Christmass. PS Not trying to cut your local man out of a sell. Later David
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

kflach

Fairshake,

I appreciate your offer. I'd like to understand a little better. Why don't you think the hand press is the best thing to start off with?

One consideration I have to face is that I don't have any kind of bench, and I don't have room in my garage for one (2 cars and a whole lot of the wife's stuff stored around them that I can't get rid of). I have a small lip on my kitchen counter that *may* be use-able but I'll have to check it when I get home to see if it's wide enough to accommodate a clamp.

Also, a quick look over the web suggests that RCBS is a brand but carbide is a material. Can I get carbide dies that will fit it? Do I lube the  cases before sizing on a carbide die too?

Obviously I'm completely new to this...

Ozark Tracker

been following this thread along,  kitchen counter may not be the best place to clamp on.  ;)   have you got a small portable work table,  Black & Decker has em and several others build one, it can fold up and hang on the wall, just put it together and start makin ammo.

just something to think about.  this is kinda how I started back in 1970

the lube goes on before sizing,  they make a nice spray on lube nowdays easy to use, 
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Springfield Slim

I gotta agree with Fairshake.I have one of those LEE hand presses also and it is good for what it is, but a press monted on a table is just SOOO much easier to use, especially for a new guy. And just to help out, I will ship you 200 Big Lube 38's to go with JD's primers. Looks like all you are going to need is a can of BP.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Wolfgang

Quote from: kflach on December 10, 2009, 10:37:48 AM
Fairshake,

I appreciate your offer. I'd like to understand a little better. Why don't you think the hand press is the best thing to start off with?

One consideration I have to face is that I don't have any kind of bench, and I don't have room in my garage for one (2 cars and a whole lot of the wife's stuff stored around them that I can't get rid of). I have a small lip on my kitchen counter that *may* be use-able but I'll have to check it when I get home to see if it's wide enough to accommodate a clamp.

Also, a quick look over the web suggests that RCBS is a brand but carbide is a material. Can I get carbide dies that will fit it? Do I lube the  cases before sizing on a carbide die too?

Obviously I'm completely new to this...

The only advantage of "carbide" dies is that they do not require lube.  Various manufacturers produce "carbide" dies.  The are only available for straight walled cases, not for bottlenecked cases.  Take Fairshake up on that Lee Challenger press.  You'll figure ot some way to mount it.   A folding workbench in the garage that is useable when one car is out ?   Just an idea for ya. . . . Good shootin', . . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com