Transporting Cowboy Guns

Started by Johnny Cicero, December 06, 2009, 05:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Cicero

Howdy,

I'm new to CAS, but have the long guns and pistols to get me started. My question is how do you folks transport your guns to the range/shoots? Individual cases for pistols or dual case? Same with long guns? Hard vs. Soft? Anything else I need to consider?

I'm sure this is a personal preference kind of thing, but I'm looking for some advice before I head to Bass Pro to look at carry cases.

Thanks,
Johnny Cicero

Daniel Nighteyes

Johnny,

That depends entirely on the state(s) you're transporting them into or through, and whether or not you're planning to transport them via a common carrier (airline, etc.).

Here in Crazyfornia, I transport them in my car.  California law requires that the handguns be in a locked container that is not immediately accessible from the passenger compartment. In a "regular" vehicle the trunk will suffice.  However, since my vehicle is an Explorer, that requires a separate locked case.  To be on the safe side ("the prudent man wears a belt AND suspenders") I transport my long guns and my ammunition in separate locked hardside cases and boxes.

Airline travel is a whole other animule entirely.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Johnny Cicero

Nighteyes,

I am in the overly-Democratic state of Maryland. I will have to check on state transport rules--I hadn't thought about that angle, though I should have.

And at this point, I'm only talking about transporting via personal vehicle to the range and to local shoots.

Thanks for the info and advice,
Cicero

kflach

When I got my first gun and started shooting CAS I called my local police department. Not 911 but their other number. I got it explained simple and in non-legalese terms.

Pancho Peacemaker

I invested in an Americase gun case.  They make one called the "Full house".  I have started traveling more for shoots and this case is discreet and much easier to wheel guns into and out of a motel.  I usually pack it with 2 rifles (it will fit lever guns with up to 24" barrels), a shotgun, 2 main match guns, plus room for pocket pistols, knives and derringers.  It's built like a tank and has roller wheels on the bottom edge.

http://www.americase.com/pages/order/atfullhouse.shtml
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Adirondack Jack

Quote from: Johnny Cicero on December 06, 2009, 05:40:14 PM
Howdy,

I'm new to CAS, but have the long guns and pistols to get me started. My question is how do you folks transport your guns to the range/shoots? Individual cases for pistols or dual case? Same with long guns? Hard vs. Soft? Anything else I need to consider?

I'm sure this is a personal preference kind of thing, but I'm looking for some advice before I head to Bass Pro to look at carry cases.

Thanks,
Johnny Cicero

Check local laws, but in general, at least here in NY and adjacent New England, I;ve always used soft cases (Walmart puts tha Allen brand cases on sale right about now or right after Christmas), for the long guns, and an old leatherbound jewelry box transformed into a double pistol case have served well.  To travel through MASS I put all of em in my enclosed cargo trailer (locked), but everywhere else they live with me in the seat of the pickup.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Fingers McGee

I have a truckvault ( http://www.truckvault.com/ ) in the back of my Tahoe.  I don't have to take them into the hotel when I'm at an away game.  They make them to fit just about anything. 

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Johnny Cicero

Quote from: Fingers McGee on December 18, 2009, 02:54:25 PM
I have a truckvault ( http://www.truckvault.com/ ) in the back of my Tahoe.  I don't have to take them into the hotel when I'm at an away game.  They make them to fit just about anything. 

FM

That's pretty cool. Perhaps one for the Liberty or the Civic. Thanks for the tip.

-J. Cicero

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com