SASS Fast Draw ?

Started by Marshal Deadwood, December 06, 2009, 06:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

Any of you play the SASS fast draw game ? Our club has started into having another 'shoot',,,,fast draw. I gotta tell ya I love it ! If any of you out there shoot 'fast draw' and have any tips to share, I'm all ears !

Tip one from me (which prob is obvious to anyone who has tried fast draw) ,,,linned holsters are bad juju. I'm looking now to find a stiff leather holster,,fairly loose but not wobbley when it holds my SAA.

Marshal Deadwood *buzzer on a sundial posse  :)

Jefro

Howdy Marshal, yep I shoot CFDA and really like it. There is no SASS affiliated fast draw, it's the Cowboy Fast Draw Association, nothing to do with SASS, but often promoted at a SASS match such as Mule Camp. As far as good leather goes, you want a quality lined, stiff holster, preferable with a deflector shield at the bottom. The deflector shield is usually leather lined and positioned where it's barley visible. Most of the holsters we use for SASS will work fine. I started out with my regular Longhunter rig from Kirkpatrick, very simular to the Mernickle holster without the deflector shield. After I shot myself in the foot once, I put a cork in the bottom of my holster. A piece of wax going about 625fps will really sting even through thick leather shoes, I was lucky it hit on a seam. I now have a rig with deflector shield from Rustedfables. I strongly reccomend using a cork if you don't have a  deflector shield, our range will not let visitors shoot without one or the other, any good leather maker can install one. The best advice I can give a new shooter is go to a match, folks will have you shooting before the day is done. Another is Quick Cal's CD "Hit Em Fast", this will really help advance the leaning curve. Good Luck.
http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/
http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/product-hit-em-fast-video.php
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_cbyfd.html
http://rustedfables.com/index.php/vmchk/Full-Gun-Rigs/The-Grizzly-Fighter-CFDA.html

Jefro
aka; Uncle Jefro CFDA #1362 "The Buccaneer Spurs"
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Marshal Deadwood

Jefro,,,I've shot too matches,,,ending  5th, thenn 3rd,,im hooked !  I riged up a 'make do' deflector' for my El Paso rig,,which is an excellent rig,,its just toooo good of a fit to the revolver with its linning,,,I might consider even one of EL Pasos 'speed rig' hoslters 'unlinned'...and Im also looking at the links you provided.

It was my mistake saying it was SASS...but I really didnt know it was a seperate deal. Sorry. But my days ! its fun !

The competion is great,,,the one liners when someone goofs is about as much fun as the shooting LOL

Also, any 'speed tips' ya might have,,,I'm soaking that up like a sponge now ! This is bout as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on  ;D

MD

Jefro

Howdy Marshal, before you spend any money on an unlined rig take a look at some of the other shooters holsters. I also have an El Paso Duke rig, these are lined I think with pig  skin, much softer and totally different from my Kirtpatrick or Rustedfables. They use another layer of I think #6 cowhide for the lining, plenty stiff to hold thier shape and slick. You want your cylinder to be able to turn in the holster. One tip for dry fire is use the TV as a start light, the camera angle is constantly changing. A timer doesn't help with CFDA, we need a light, when the camera changes that's the light, really helps your focus and reaction time.

There are several products to apply to the inside of the holster to make it slick,(Leather Lighting, Draw Eze, Hyde Slide) a word of caution a tiny, tiny dab will do, wipe off any excess. Good Luck

Jefro

ps, ran into this feller in Tn, Maverick Leather, high quality at a good price.
http://www.maverickleather.net/
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Angel_Eyes

Done a bit locally, but as you can imagine in the UK, we can only use blank firers, not wax.
What we have to promote accuracy is a small knock-down target,(about 40 watt lightbulb size, by muzzle blast) about 3-4 feet away, at belt height.

Two tips:- a, Practice, practice, practice!
               b, Be faster than the other guy!

AE, (best time, 0.334 secs. average time about 0.4, mostly)

And, yeah,,,it's great fun!!

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

GunClick Rick

Wax is the best way to go in fast draw ???
Bunch a ole scudders!

Angel_Eyes

GCR, we cant have open barrels on fastdraw pistols over here, it has to have a pepper-pot  device or fixed post through the barrel.
We have to rely on the unburnt powder or muzzle-blast detritus to knock over our 'targets'.
Personally, I would love to try the wax bullet method!!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com