Leather Holder/Holster for Colt style revolvers

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, December 03, 2009, 02:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Does any body have any 1st or 2nd hand period documentation on the use of a Holder/Holster that attached to the belt to hold a Colt style flask for the 1851/1860 Colt revolvers? If you could point me to original period photos that would be great. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

caps

I'd be interested in that to.
From the research I have done, I have not found any mention or photographical evidence of them.  I believe them to be a fairly recent product.

Hangtown Frye

To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the Colt-style flasks (other than the big military flasks for the Walker and Dragoon, which have side rings and were carried on a shoulder strap) were carried anywhere but in the pockets or saddle bags (or whatever) of the user.  I've never seen anything approaching the little holster-gizmo's that guy's use to carry the flasks around on their belts.  They're just like the "cylinder pouches"* that some CW Cavalry reenactors use, there is absolutely no documentation for them, but they are handy.

*(Note: I know it's off-topic here, but the Prussian and Austrian Navy's did have a single cylinder pouch attached to the holsters of the Navy Colt's they issued. That's about it as far as documentation for any military use of spare cylinders for military-issue revolving pistols goes.)

Cheers!

Gordon

St. George

I've been around the gun collecting world since '63 - and I've never seen one.

During their era - six-round packets of pre-loaded ammunition were widely available.

The rounds were held in little paper-wrapped wooden containers that'd fit nicely into a vest pocket or coat pocket - or into the military-issue belt pouch.

Sure, there are a lot of 'woulda if they coulda' types out there that will claim that they saw 'something' - 'somewhere' - in 'some' publication - so that makes it all right to use - but they can never document anything.

The truth of the matter is that it's likely that the civilian armed with a percussion revolver figured that a round or two would suffice, so they didn't wander about getting ready to reload on the clock.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com