Loading 12 ga. brass shells - - - my stuff

Started by Wolfgang, November 25, 2009, 09:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfgang

Hi pards . . . needed to load up some 12 ga. shells . . . so got around to making a loading block for 12 ga. shells.  Figured I'd do pictures of my loading set up and stuff I use which might ( or not ) be of use to anyone.  So . . . have a look ( if'n ya care to ) at: www.drburkholter.com/cf14.html.

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Fairshake

Nice looking loading block. I got lazy and bought mine from Precision Reloading. They hold 25 hulls. Wolfgang I will pass this info on to you about loading with the wads. I was talking with the owner of Circle Fly last year about the loading of my brass hulls and he gave me some great advise. He said that the biggest mistake was thinking that the hull had to be filled to the top and that is not true. He advised that I cut some of my wads into two pieces before loading and just use one. My patterns improved. I also use a hot glue gun to seal my over shot wad and it makes them water proof and stops the wad from coming loose. Later David aka Fairshake
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Wolfgang

Fairshake, . . thank for the input.  As I said I'd heard that about cutting the cushion wad in half and my patterns blew out.  But it might be a matter of the barrel length and / or choke.  I was shooting out of a 20 in. cylider bore.

I hadn't seen any 12 ga. blocks, . . but maybe didn't look far enough ?   Anyhow, making one was easy enough.   :)

Good shootin' . . .  :)

Tequila Jim

I reload my brass about the same as you. However I did get the shell holder from RCBS. You didn't
say any thing about a 1lb rubber mallet ;D. What do you deprime with?  I have to use a shot cup
(AA12) to get a decent pattern.  Maybe I should have tried a little harder wth my loadings to get a
decent pattern without the shot cup. Regards, TJ

Wolfgang

For depriming I set the case on a socket, use an extra depriming pin that is laying around on the bench.  I don't use a mallet at all, . . . just "arm strong" power to compress.  Got that Lee "Load-All" cheap used with the idea of setting it up for compression and throwing shot if / when I get to shoot enough that I'm needing to turning out more ammunition.

Charlie Bowdre

Hi pard
Good thread!
If you have a 12 ga shell holder , I use one to put my brass case in my single stage press. For compression I use the same type dowel set up as you . But instead of the 'strong arm' method I put the case into the shell holder in the press . I cut a small piece of 3/4 inch plywood , set it over the top of the dowel and use the press to do the compression.  ;D
Lots of fun isn't it? I love the old brass and BP loads. :D
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Fairshake

You can also use a drill press for seating your wads for compression, not running of course. I have a bench top drill press that I use along with a holder from Ballistic Products. Insert wad and use the drill press to seat with pressure. Again it is not running!!! With my paper and plastic hulls that I roll crimp I then use it to put on a factory looking roll crimp. I use a dowel rod in the press for seating.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Paladin UK

Fer Fairshake.......... :-[

QuoteYou can also use a drill press for seating your wads for compression... :o not running of course. :o

Now ya tell me!!  :(

Paladin (Whats gotta lotta Xtra large primer pockets  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Noz

Quote from: Tequila Jim on November 26, 2009, 11:10:04 AM
I reload my brass about the same as you. However I did get the shell holder from RCBS. You didn't
say any thing about a 1lb rubber mallet ;D. What do you deprime with?  I have to use a shot cup
(AA12) to get a decent pattern.  Maybe I should have tried a little harder wth my loadings to get a
decent pattern without the shot cup. Regards, TJ
Newer shotguns with long forcing cones will have pattern diffriculties with a traditional wad column.(Over shot, shot, cushion wad, over powder wad, powder) It seems the length of the forcing cone allows gasses to escape around the wads and blows the patterns. One solution is a shot cup on top of the cushion wad. Some make their own from card stock or aluminum foil. Plastic is easier.
I know this because of a rather lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful, foray into reloading brass for a 20 ga Spartan.

Wolfgang

Quote from: Noz on November 28, 2009, 12:16:33 PM
Newer shotguns with long forcing cones will have pattern diffriculties with a traditional wad column.(Over shot, shot, cushion wad, over powder wad, powder) It seems the length of the forcing cone allows gasses to escape around the wads and blows the patterns. One solution is a shot cup on top of the cushion wad. Some make their own from card stock or aluminum foil. Plastic is easier.
I know this because of a rather lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful, foray into reloading brass for a 20 ga Spartan.

Yep.  I've heard of making shot cups out of brown paper.   I've loaded some rounds that way  ( both # 7s and Buck ) and haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet.  Will report on results when I do. 

reloader4410

Dime wrappers or post a notes,never used them in brass shells ,but used them in a double barrel muzzleloader. Some slits down the sides helps.

Tequila Jim

Loaded a box of brass shells yesterday afternoon. Used the Mec Jr. to drop powder and shot, new and different.
Droped the powder on the Mec, pulled shell out and added the 2 wads and cup, back on Mec to drop the
shot, back out to set over shot card. Liked that better than using the dippers. Maybe try adding the wads on the machine.
Ain't this funn. Regards, TJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com