Cart OK for NCOWS?

Started by Matthew Duncan, November 23, 2009, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Duncan

If'n I lose the rolled up umbrella this cart OK?

And if yes then would flying a non controversially flag be permit?

And yes I am aware the shotgun belt is tabbo....
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Irish Dave

Matthew:

Are you referring to the "stars and bars" or to the lawn umbrella?
The flag (as an historically correct item) would pass my muster, anyway, but the umbrella would not be acceptible.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Matthew Duncan

SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Jed Cooper

Matthew, Please don't take offense, none is intended. Nice cart, But For the most part,we try not not to use carts. Hard to call most of them period correct. Heck I shoot Pistoleer. Got more stuff to tote around than any other class. I move slow, but I manage. We make allowances for older shooters, and handicapped folks. Short of that, at leased at both clubs I belong to, We get by without them. They look awful in pictures. Just my .02 Cents.    Regards,  Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Matthew Duncan

Quote from: Jed Cooper on November 23, 2009, 04:04:20 PM
Matthew, Please don't take offense, none is intended. ...

No offense taken.

So how do y'all haul 100 rounds 45 Colt, 25 rounds 12 gage, squip rod (for other Cowpokes to use), screwdrive with multiable tips and where do you leave your long guns while a doing posse duties?
SASS# 23189

River City John

Matthew,
bottom line is carts are NCOWS approved. Use it in all good conscience. Every NCOWS range I have ever shot at I have seen carts being used.

That being said, many ranges have racks available for longarms at the stages, and lots of folks haul their ammo, etc. in saddlebags, a carpet bag or the like.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Jed Cooper

Matthew, Iam also cahauling around all the stuff to load 2 44 cal. 1860 colts. All but the guns are in my saddle bags tossed over my shoulder, pistols in holsters, and shotgun, and rifle in each hand.   Give it a try, then tease the other guys ;) ;D    Jed    PS After 30 years of chasing bad guys, 20 of that on a police motorcycle, I've broken about everything including my back & neck. I still can't bring myself to use a cart. :)    Hope this helps.    Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Shotgun Franklin

If I ever get the chance to shoot with an NCOWS group I figured I throw together a wooden wheelbarrow.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on November 23, 2009, 06:20:06 PM
If I ever get the chance to shoot with an NCOWS group I figured I throw together a wooden wheelbarrow.

If you shoot at GLFMC there are racks set up to rest your long guns:

Most of the shooters there will carry their ammo and accessories in saddlebags or haversacks, or carpetbags.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Pancho Peacemaker

MD,

I'll offer a different perspective.  Me and my posse are new to NCOWS.  I'm still a cart user.  I usually shoot with one of my kids in tow with gear, snacks, & water.  I also shoot a 4 gun class and need to carry ammo for all 4 guns.  I'm also part of my club leadership and I usually carry an extra shot timer, and extra hearing and vision protection for new shooters or spectators.  I usually carry a spare rifle and shotgun for newbies incase they need to borrow an iron.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat of a pack-rat and probably always will be.  Maybe someday, I'll just buy a spare mule to haul all my gear around.  The mule would look more period correct than any cart.

We do have several club members who are moving toward "cart-less" shooting and arrange their gear in a saddle bag or carpet bag.  We've altered our range to support this by creating lots of rifle racks.  After visiting the NCOWS Nationals, I think the organizational mentality towards gun carts is that of a necessary evil.  They are not period correct, but some shooters carry a large enough kit to warrant their need.

I do cast cudos toward the shooter who makes an attemp at making a cart that has the "air" of pre-1900 design.   I'm a woodworker hobbist and I enjoyed building, staining, & personalizing my cart.  

BTW, your cart looks cool in my book.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ima Sure Shot

You know a lot of the  "Mormans" pushed all their wordly goods across the plains on two wheeled handcarts in their great migration.  More like a fruit peddlers cart if I remember rightly.  Celeste

Major 2

Ima Sure Shot.... Like these
I saved the 1st. photo of an NCOWS member pull cart...I have forgotten who made this one perhaps he will chime in and fess up..it's a dandy
The second is a Orginial Photo circa unknown but it does show several
when planets align...do the deal !

River City John

Quote from: Major 2 on November 23, 2009, 10:39:09 PM
Ima Sure Shot.... Like these
I saved the 1st. photo of an NCOWS member pull cart...I have forgotten who made this one perhaps he will chime in and fess up..it's a dandy

Rattlesnake Jack Robson made that cart. I believe it is a Metis-style cart in a reduced scale. He will eventually chime in on the details, I'm sure.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Deadeye Don

Matthew,    The main thing we want you to do is come to the GLFMC shoot anytime you would like to do so.  You will be most welcome.  We can work out the "details" once you get there.  Everybody has their opinions about gun carts, but River City John is correct.  Carts are allowed if you choose to use them.  At Modoc nobody really uses one as the stages are designed with plenty of gun racks and tables to set your stuff on.   Even for some of our older folks ( I am not naming names here), there really is no burden managing the guns, ammo and other stuff.    Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Tjackstephens

Anyone who visit the GLF&MC will have a most enjoyable time. Good people and a good place to shoot. They even make us from Kentucky feel welcome. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Buffalow Red

my cart is a copy of a 2 wheeled pieroid wagon that wood be pulled by mule, horse etc..
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Matthew Duncan

A scratching my head...well it sure would be nice not to load, haul, assembly, disaasemble, haul back home and unlaod a cart :)

And I've been looking for an excuse for a getting saddle bags...  ;D
SASS# 23189

Cole Bluesteele

Matthew,

I'd been using a cart for SASS matches for ten years.  With a wife and grandson shiooting, we needed a cart for six long guns, ammo, tools, etc.  When we started shooting NCOWS matches we gradually shifted to saddlebags.  Kinda thought we'd miss the cart, but after using saddlebags we're using the cart less and less at our home range.  Of course, if your SASS range doesn't have any racks for your long guns, a cart might be more of a necessity.

Good luck and tell Furball that Cole and Tom Jack said "Hello" next time you see him.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Cole

Major 2

Here an Idea I'm working on
when planets align...do the deal !

ol' poke

I like the idea of no cart, but how do you deal with your spent blackpowder brass?  I typically have a large coffee can of soapy water to dump them in.  Do ya just carry the spent cases dry?  If so, can ya ever tumble 'em clean again?  (Not that shiney-new brass is a goal of mine anyhowz.  ;D)

ol' poke
"Ya better say yer prayers, ya flea-bitten varmaint, I'm a-gonna blow ya to smithereenies!"
SASS #57567
Warthog!
Circle R Cowboys
NCOWS #3245

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com