Merwin, Hulbert & Co revolvers

Started by Stophel, November 23, 2009, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

Looking forward to seeing that on his site, 'Duelist 54'. Hope he shoots it.

Irish Dave

QuoteNo Merwin . . . No Hulbert.

No surprise.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

JohnsonBarr

So, just how many times can you kick a dead horse? Isn't it about time we wiped this bucket dream thread from the site? If you want a MH, buy a real one and stop kidding yourself someone can or will make an affordable reproduction. Even if you hunt hogs from a helicopter, pigs still don't fly. It's a weight to horsepower ratio with no lift capacity thing. Ain'ta gonna happen, no way, no how.

St. George

When you review this thread, it serves as an object lesson.

From the very beginning, there was no substance to it - but there were a lot of 'true believers', and they couldn't bring themselves to believe that it wouldn't happen.

Some even figured that with the advent of new machinery, that an essentially hand-built and hand-fitted, notoriously-difficult-to-machine weapon could be popped out like a Ruger Vaquero, and into their holsters at Cabela's prices.

I've wanted to delete this thread before, but many contacted me to leave it in place to serve as a reminder.

For now, I'll do just that.

If the thread bothers you on some deep, visceral level, then don't read it and don't get your knickers in a wad by responding.

You'll reach a more harmonious outcome...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Professor Marvel

Quote from: JohnsonBarr on January 27, 2014, 12:26:37 PM
Isn't it about time we wiped this bucket dream thread from the site?

Heaven Forfend!

Quote from: St. George on January 27, 2014, 02:11:24 PM
When you review this thread, it serves as an object lesson.

From the very beginning, there was no substance to it - but there were a lot of 'true believers', and they couldn't bring themselves to believe that it wouldn't happen.

I've wanted to delete this thread before, but many contacted me to leave it in place to serve as a reminder.

For now, I'll do just that.

Thank You St George, for allowing this to remain -
I personally believe it is important to document and remember such incidents of Snake Oil & Etc.

To remove such a thread is, in my mind, the equivalent of trying to re-write History. It  is good to  remember these things,
even if it does cause some discomfort to a few Netizens.

Do any of you remember how the Blue Screen Of Death caused a US Missle Frigate to drift "dead in the water" for hours?

"Remember The Yorktown!"

The Navy tried to erase all memory of the event, and even went so far as to decalre the mission a "success".
Smart Ship, Aegis missile cruiser Yorktown.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Deadeye Don

Thank you St. George. 
I also agree to leave it in place for the very reasons you stated. Every once and a while someone will find it and post, thus bringing it back up to the top of the heap serving as a life lesson for us all.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Skeeter Lewis

This thread has given me a lot of harmless amusement. Thanks for letting it stay.

St. George

And for further enlightenment, I offer this that's been posted in my Operations Section's office:

It's the Staff Officer's mantra.

'There Is No Horse So Dead That You Can Not Continue To Beat It...'

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

JohnsonBarr

Just to show you fools come in all sizes; I drank the M&H juice. Then let it roil in my bowels to the point of dream'ts of a murderous equalization. But, then the refund check came from a more honorable breed that did the proper thing, that is, to stop the lie. No, there will not be a newly produced M&H by this business organization. Nuff said. I'm back to 1900 century Smith & Wesson's, anybody got a hammer for a .44 DA? My 1884 Frontier spit its hammer nose at the last match on the first stage. Had to finish the match with a 1883 cut-down S&W .32 DA. Damned if I didn't take first place shooting WC smokes-less shootist. As if you could get two hands on a vest pocket wheel gun anyway. Uffdaaa!

Books OToole

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on January 28, 2014, 06:13:51 AM
This thread had given me a lot of harmless amusement. Thanks for letting it stay.

AMEN!  ;D ;D

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

wildman1

Saw a M&H in Cabelas about a week ago, was tempted to by it. I still might. WM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Blair

WM1,

Do you know what cartridge caliber it is chambered in?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Mean Bob Mean

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Blair

Mean Bob,

Thank you. Yes, I know.

The OP does not state any caliber information related to the revolver of interest.
My reason for asking this question is due to the difficulty in getting good dimensional and loading data specifically for the .44 cal. M&H cartridge.
I thought the OP may want to know this, if looking at a large frame M&H.
The others cartridge caliber information are usually available.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Blair on June 16, 2014, 02:11:14 PM
Mean Bob,

Thank you. Yes, I know.

The OP does not state any caliber information related to the revolver of interest.
My reason for asking this question is due to the difficulty in getting good dimensional and loading data specifically for the .44 cal. M&H cartridge.
I thought the OP may want to know this, if looking at a large frame M&H.
The others cartridge caliber information are usually available.
My best,
Blair

How does one make .44 M&H ammo?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Blair

Mean Bob,

I don't know!

The closest I have found with my own 44 M&H is a .41 mag.
But, this requires being fire formed to fit the chamber.
Do you have a better choice?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: Blair on June 16, 2014, 04:51:15 PM
Mean Bob,

I don't know!

The closest I have found with my own 44 M&H is a .41 mag.
But, this requires being fire formed to fit the chamber.
Do you have a better choice?
My best,
Blair

No I do not, I have thought about saving for one but I need to get the guns I own already down pat before starting a new project.  I am very interested in a .41 Long Colt and if I get one that will probably tie up all my experiementing/new toy time and money for awhile. 

Cheers mate
- Cole Younger

wildman1

Quote from: Blair on June 16, 2014, 07:49:26 AM
WM1,

Do you know what cartridge caliber it is chambered in?
My best,
Blair
I believe it is 44, I will check on friday and let you know. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

wildman1

Quote from: Mean Bob Mean on June 16, 2014, 08:24:49 PM
No I do not, I have thought about saving for one but I need to get the guns I own already down pat before starting a new project.  I am very interested in a .41 Long Colt and if I get one that will probably tie up all my experiementing/new toy time and money for awhile.  

Cheers mate
I had a friend give me some 41 LC cartridges about 3 weeks ago. (I was buying a 38 S&W from him at the time.) wM1

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: wildman1 on June 17, 2014, 04:23:29 AM
I had a friend give me some 41 LC cartridges about 3 weeks ago. (I was buying a 38 S&W from him at the time.) wM1

Most people ask 1.5 to 2+ per round or them.
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com