2010 SW Regional and the 2010 GAF Muster

Started by Cole Bluesteele, November 18, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole Bluesteele

In October 2009, the GAF posted on the FAF Forum that they were hosting their 2010 Muster on the second weekend in November.  That is the weekend we hosted the SW Regional and plan to host the 2010 Regional.  Guess no one in the GAF checks the NCOWS forum? 

Ol Gabe

C.B., Kind Sir,
Not having met you to my recollection but hoping to sometime at an NCOWS Convention, being a member of both, GAF #114 (not FAF) and NCOWS #925, I understand fully your comment and concern.
What with all the info on various and multitudinous forums and threads it is not out of the ordinary for a member of several History-oriented, as in Old West groups, to miss something, it happens all the time and this is a given in our fast-paced e-world.
Take for example the recent thread about a pic on the NCOWS forum and the flipped up hats the Lumberjacks were wearing and the follow-up comments on same. Then go to the GAF forum, 'The Barracks', and look at the thread dealing with Military pics and you'll see several pics and comments, some from myself, about the very same hats as worn in Military use during the same time period. There were few followups from NCOWS members about the 'Hats' nor a comparison about same from one forum to the other. However, many of those in the GAF are also NCOWS members and do frequent all the forums. As compared to NCOWS, the GAF is a non-dues group of Military History Buffs that follow much the same time era of NCOWS and they are all very supportive of what NCOWS does and promotes.
Being as both events will be in the Great State of Texas it might behoove your folks to extend an invite to them as it would be a value-added experience for those making the trek down South to experience more of your Texican Hospitality and history! I for one would like to be there for both but cannot due to business scheduling, however I'll be there is spirit with both groups!
I hope this has helped answer your question.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925, GAF #114

Cole Bluesteele

Gabe,

I too am a member of both.  Just can't type, but I can shoot.  If you attend the National in June we can hookup there.

Cole

Pancho Peacemaker

For those not native to North Texas:  November is 'prime time' for outdoor events around here.  That month has a rare combination of moderate temperatures and the lowest chance of rain.  It's hard to plan a large outdoor event at other times:  Summer will roast you . . . spring has cool weather, but unpredictable severe storms and tornadoes . . . and winter can be moderate, but we tend to have 2 or 3 bad ice storms . . . and early fall is either too hot, or we have a hurricane blow through.

The main reason we scheduled the NCOWS SW Regional when we did was the weather.  Also, the week before is the SASS SW Regional ("Come In At Cha") held just down the highway from us.  It is held every year at the same time and venue.   We did not want to conflict with that event as many of our club members and local vendors attend that event.

The other unfortunate comflict that will occur:  hunting season.  The weekend we chose happened to be opening weekend for white-tailed deer.  That is a big deal around here.  Also, upland and waterfowl seasons are open all around the country.  I know we have NCOWS members that cannot attend our event due to hunting commitments.

My point:  due to the pleasant & predictably good weather of November, we are going to face scheduling conflicts no matter what weekend we choose.

I think it'd be great if we could find a scheduling compromise between us and GAF.  If we could, then traveling shooters would be able to enjoy two prime period shooting events, thus making their travel much more worth-while.  If we can't, shooters may need to choose between playing soldier or playing cowboy that weekend.

Pancho

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ottawa Creek Bill

Deer season here in Indiana always starts the Saturday after Veterans day, so a consideration of a week earlier would be great. Not all of us belong to GAF.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Texas Lawdog

I am a member of both organizations. Some of the folks present at the SW Regional are dual members also. I will try and attend both functions next year, even though they are scheduled for the same time.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Cole Bluesteele

To all who attended or wanted to attend the SW Regional,

That means deer season up there starts on Saturday, November 13, 2010.  The currently anticipated date of the 2010 SW Regional. 

The SASS SW Regional is traditionally on the first weekend or November 4 thru 7, 2010. So we won't go there. 

If we held our regional on the 3rd weekend, Thursday thru Saturday November 18, 19 & 20, 2010 that would be the weekend before Thanksgiving November 25, 2010.

If we moved to the last weekend in October, 28 thru 30, 2010 that would be the weekend of Halloween. October has 5 weekends and no one around here shoots that weekend.  Although one local SASS club sometimes host its anual match on those dates.  But as they are worshipers of the god of  "big and close" that probably would have no impact on attendance at a NCOWS match. ;D

We'd like to make it easy on you boys to return so...what's your thoughts?

Cole

Trap

Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Trap on November 19, 2009, 11:02:06 AM
   Last wknd in Oct would be great!!

That weekend may be difficult to get vendors.  As the SASS Regional is that next week, many vendors will be enroute to set up for that very large event (400+ shooters).  Most of the vendors we will invite to the NCOWS Regional will also attend the SASS Regional.  With the SASS Regional being a much larger event, we will lose that dog race just based on numbers.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Trap on November 19, 2009, 11:02:06 AM
   Last weekend in Oct would be great!!

That weekend works for me too and probably a large section of NCOWS members as well. I know I don't want to give up hunting season next year, but I do want to attend this shoot.

As far as vendors...? It's nice to have them but, if you've been at this game for any length of time you probably have everything you need to shoot. I would be more concerned with the catering then the vendors.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Cole Bluesteele

Bill,

Glad to here you're planning on coming back.  Knowing the high priority you boys place on food, catering won't be a problem.  Both Ervin and Randy want to feed us again next year.  As soon as I set a date I'll get on their calendars.  Matter of fact, I'll probably call them both tonight to ask them to set aside the weekends we're contemplating.

Cole 

French Jack

We've got three weeks to deer hunt here.  I don't mind taking a few days out to make the shoot.  So, November or October suits me. 
French Jack

Texas Lawdog

I'm pretty flexible on the dates, but I would like to attend both the SW NCOWS and the Grand Muster. The last weekend in Oct. is okay with me.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Pancho Peacemaker

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Cole Bluesteele

Pancho's data was pretty much like we had this past year.  Rained a lot in October, but cleared off for the last week in October.  Less likely to rain in November. 

lethal larry

Pancho, as for vendors next year, I hope we do not invite any of the vendors back unless they kept their word this time and supplied the door prizes they promised. That eliminates 2 of the clothing vendors right there! I don't know if it would be any tougher for vendors to go to our match one weekend and Comin At Cha the next as it was this year with Comin At Cha first and then our match.
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: lethal larry on November 19, 2009, 04:14:08 PM
Pancho, as for vendors next year, I hope we do not invite any of the vendors back unless they kept their word this time and supplied the door prizes they promised. That eliminates 2 of the clothing vendors right there! I don't know if it would be any tougher for vendors to go to our match one weekend and Comin At Cha the next as it was this year with Comin At Cha first and then our match.

I've got a plan for vendors next year.  I learned alot about vendors from our experience last week.  I think we will have excellent vendors next year.  Will share my plan at the next exec meeting.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Ol Gabe

P.P. & All,
Your comments regarding vendors are well stated and founded in reality, therefore, a different take on prizes is obviously in your purvue as you mentioned.
When the Nationals was held at the Ackley, IA range many years ago, several of the org members donated prizes just to fill in the gaps. Perhaps a generic 'letter to the membership' might garner you and other Regional as well as any National Shoot several prizes of various sorts and etc.? Also, gas cards, food coupons, etc., are always welcome to travelers from afar when $ are tight. Heck, a $10 or $20 food coupon or a discount on a motel room would be a welcome prize for someone that has driven a few states!
Well, just a thought as it never hurts to ask, then ask again! Remember, there are a lot of us out there as members that can't get there for any number of reasons but might help sponsor a Side Match or suchlike if asked and recognized, some even sponsor events on an international basis.
Best regards and Good Luck!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

Ottawa Creek Bill

Gabe, I'm not sure how many, but some of us did donate prizes to the SW Regional.

I appreciate the effort that someone takes to make a gift more, then I do receiving a purchased one.

I think a couple of your hand made western signs would be just the ticket.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Texas Lawdog

I agree with Bill, a made prize would mean more to me also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com