OLD #2

Started by Gun Butcher, November 06, 2009, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Feeling kind of bad after seeing Ten Wolves nice clean shop, I proceeded to the scene of the crime and commenced to straighting up and cleaning out.
First problem, gettin sidetracked on existing projects. So having shaken off that obstacle I started in again.
Second problem, ( about 5 min. later) finding something you havn't seen for about 23 yrs.
End of good intentions :-[
This is the second knife I ever made,back in 1986. I really didn't know what had happened to it but I found it in an old tool box.
The sheath is made from 2 layers of an old leather jacket from the early 70's when I had a Norton 750. It was made to be a boot knife so it has a spring clip on the back. The knife although it doesn't look bad was never heat treated correctly so it never held an edge for very long. It was made from 01 tool steel.
The biggest problem with it is the handle is to small to really hold securely in your hand.
It was 10 years before I made #3
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looks good GB, I like the style, it's a dagger style, and would be perfect for a boot knife, I think you did a great job on it, and that leather jacket must have been fairly thick leather judging by the picture, one of my first sheaths I made for my Dads dagger, looked like your, I just used rivets on the seem line, and it worked fine, like yours.

Good luck on that clean up, but don't blame me, if you start finding stuff, heck you could have several treasures down up in there,LOL

hAVE FUN pARD

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

GB very nice knife. It would be perfect for some like me. I wear a extrs small glove. Keep making them that size.  ;D KT

Gun Butcher

No blame intended TW but the better half did see the pics of your shop :o Thats where my inspiration came from ;) ;D And you are right about that jacket. It weighed a ton but it took a lot of road rash for me one time. Thats how it ended up as a knife sheath ;D

KT,I was glad I found it because I want to make another one like it with a little longer handle and an upgrade on the leather. That handle is only about 3 1/2" long , another 3/4" would make it work ;)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

GunClick Rick

Ain't nuttin wrong with that,i'm just glad it was a knife you were talkin about,i had a whole different picture in my mind,was gonna holler prayers up and brew stronger coffee.. :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Here's the first and only knife i ever made from an old pakistan blade.It ended up a little off to one side,used to much of the antler(it was a nice antler and couldn't stand to cut no more) to heavy and too big.I'll try again sometime.. :-[

Bunch a ole scudders!

Josh Dabney

This here's sum great stuff pards ! 

GB,  That's some fine grindin on that thar dagger.  It's way easier to foul-up a knife like that than to git'er right. 

GC R,  The ole Pakistani blade may be forged from bumpers and soda cans and anchor ya down a bit, but hey.... least she was stout enough to save ya from that thar Black Baar.   ;D.

Seriously though those knives look great and you learned a few things to keep in mind for next time

Good work Pards,  Josh

Kid Terico

GCR, nice knife , as usual all your thing are nice but could u take another pict. of it so I can get a better look at the handle? Thanks KT

Ace Lungger

GB,
I have to agree with the other pards, I don't see anything wrong with your knife!! It shows me that you wasted 15 years, you have a lot of talnet and I am glad that you are now using it!
Keoo it up!
later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

GunClick Rick

Quote from: Kid Terico on November 07, 2009, 06:59:04 AM
GCR, nice knife , as usual all your thing are nice but could u take another pict. of it so I can get a better look at the handle? Thanks KT

It's an old picture,gave the rug to my hunter brother in law and sold the knife real cheap.It was a nice muley antler and i put turquoise dots in it.The rug under the rug is an old horse hair lap blanket for horse drawn buggies i had for awile but was my friends,had to give it back..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Gun Butcher

Quote from: GunClick Rick on November 06, 2009, 10:24:16 PM
Ain't nuttin wrong with that,i'm just glad it was a knife you were talkin about,i had a whole different picture in my mind,was gonna holler prayers up and brew stronger coffee.. :D

Rick, I'm not sure I want to ask what you were talking about but that pig sticker on the rug looks pretty nice
Josh, thats what scares me about doing another one, don't know if I would ever get that lucky with the grinding again.
Ace, you are absolutely right Pard. The worst part of it was not being who I really am for so many years . Then I found you guys and started in on the leather and knives again, applied for my FFL so I can do my gunsmithing and it all feels like coming home for the first time in to many years. Thanks to you all.
                                   Gun Butcher

Marshal Will Wingam

How cool to find your old knife. It's a good looking knife. What is coolest is that you still have it. Those old treasures are something. Thanks for sharing.

Nice knife, Rick. Re-shaping is fine, you make it yours that way. Good job.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com