Smoke Wagon Question

Started by Old Doc, November 06, 2009, 06:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Doc

Anyone have the opportunity to compare the action job on the Deluxe version as it comes from Taylor's, with the action jobs on the ones ordered from Long hunter?

Marshal Deadwood

No,,,but I love the grips ! Fine indeed.

MD

sfarrell2459

Man... I was hoping for a better reply to your question because I was wondering the same thing!

At least with Longhunter, you know who is doing the work I guess, and he's had favorable reviews.  He's about 6hrs from my house, and I'm considering the drive just to see his work.

Anybody else seen his workmanship on six-guns?

Major 2

OH Yes....two thumbs up ....he's done two Cattleman and a Richard & Mason of mine

He also jeweled the Hammer on the R&M as perk no charge..he will see more of Mine
when planets align...do the deal !

Old Doc

In partial answer to my own question, aren't the Taylors done by Cody Conagher? So I guess the question is, how does a Long Hunter action job compare to a Cody Conagher action job. What you don't know is whether Jim and Cody are doing all of the guns themselves or if they have elves helping them out. So far my action jobs, with the exception of a USFA I had Jim Alaimo do one on while fitting ivories to it, have all been done by Bob James , who advertises that all the work is done by him and I have been very pleased with his work.

Dirty Brass

I can't speak for the clones in BP loadings, but he (Longhunter) did do two Ruger NMV's for me and they are exremely well done. They cycle and run like a swiss watch....

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Old Doc on December 08, 2009, 12:06:41 PM
In partial answer to my own question, aren't the Taylors done by Cody Conagher?

The SmokeWagons come in two different flavors: Standard, which are factory stock, and Deluxe, which are the ones worked on by Cody.
Longhunter takes the standard and does his magic, just as Cody does.

As to which is better, I have yet to compare either.
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Blackpowder Burn

I have 4 USFA's from Long Hunter - 2 premiums and 2 Rodeos.  All have superb actions, just couldn't ask for better.  You can pick up any of the 4 guns blindfolded and can't tell them apart.  He will get all of my business in the future - absolutely no question.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Arizona Cattleman

I just had Bob James do a Uberti Cattleman for me, great job by the way, and am about to receive a Cattleman I bought with a Longhunter action job.  I will let ya all know what I think after compairing.

AZ Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Deadeye Don

Comparing Longhunter's and Cody's work is like comparing apples to apples IMHO.  They are both fine gunsmiths.  "Takes your pick"

I have a Deluxe Smokewagon in 44-40 that I am very pleased with.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Jefro

Quote from: Deadeye Don on December 14, 2009, 11:01:10 AM
Comparing Longhunter's and Cody's work is like comparing apples to apples IMHO.  They are both fine gunsmiths.  "Takes your pick"

I have a Delux Smokewagon in 44-40 that I am very pleased with.
Yep, they are both great gunsmiths with the reputation and satisfied customers to back it up. I have a set of .38sp Deluxe Smokewagons, and four other pistols all straight from Cody. However I do plan to get a pair of Rodeo II Satin Nickles from Longhunter, the best of both worlds ;D

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

rodeo kid

I have a Rodeo II in nickel from Long hunter and it is sweet, it has become my favorite firearm, even above my Winchesters.

F4DPhantomII

How are the standard Model Smoke Wagons?

Old Doc

Quote from: F4DPhantomII on January 06, 2010, 07:13:59 AM
How are the standard Model Smoke Wagons?
No difference cosmetically. They look the same. Deluxe just comes with an action job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com