Knives & Sheaths

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, November 05, 2009, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TW,

What a great story and memory you have there. I would have loved to meet Fred.

You have a good way of telling a story.  Many thanks for sharing this with us and please keep em' coming.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Gun Butcher

TW, another great knife and sheath. I guess what you keep and remember says a lot about who you are and as far as I can tell from what I have seen you are one fine man. A real pleasure to know you and to be able to share your memories and keepsakes. Thanks Pard.
                     GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy All

I want to thank you for taking the time to take a look at my knives and sheaths, and I really appreciate your comments, Forty Rod I believe this knife comes from Crazy Crows, I didn't know that at the time, but I see it in the catalog, thanks Marshal Will, Gun Slick Rick, Johnny McCrae, Gun Butcher , you pards are all best.

Today, I'll tell you about my pancake sheaths, the first time I ever saw a sheath like this was at a Sporting Goods Store in Burbank, my home town, the place was called Humes Sporting Goods, but they didn't sell basket balls or base balls, or any kind of balls at all, this place was just for the outdoors..... This was one of my favorite places , it was a huge log cabin, the front of it stretched one block across, and had a second floor loft, when you walked into Humes which was also family owned and operated, you saw all these stuffed animals on their walls, I was young enough to be very fascinated by these beautiful animals, and loved to go with my Dad when we went there, the first few years I went, I would just stair at these for the whole time we were there, they had a Wolf that was the biggest wolf I have ever seen, as the years went by and I was doing more outdoor things with my family, I got more interested in guns and knives and things like that, what was so cool about this place was they didn't get rid of things if they didn't sell, so you could find the greatest stuff that you wouldn't see anywhere else, they had a Pennalton  line of Hudson Bay coats that I would go crazy for today, and other things that were not seen any where anymore, but back to the knives, in my teen years, I noticed a couple of sheaths that really looked funny to me, I asked the owners son what it was called and he said it was a Pancake sheath, for which I broke out laughing, but he showed be how they worked, and told me they were great to wear because they held a folding knife very close to the body and were just more comfortable to wear,I wasn't buying this, so time went by, and now I'm a grown man in my thirty's which also seems like a long time ago, I stopped into a place called " The House of Muzzle Loaders " it was a neat place in Eagle Rock California, they had all the black powder guns you could want, I was there to buy a 54 cal Santa Fe Hawken rifle, when I saw they had a side room, so I took a look, it was a custom knife shop, where any one that made there own knives could sell them here, and boy did they have some beauts, and at really cheap prices, and I thought about getting a couple, but I had already spent my money on the Hawken, they too had some hand made Pancake sheaths, and I commented on them, and the fellow pretty much told be the same thing as the owners son at Humes, so with all this in the back of my mind for years, when I learned how to sew leather a few years back, I decided to make a Pancake and see for myself just how great they were, and by the way both Humes and the House of Muzzle Loader aren't there any more, they tore down that beautiful log cabin in the name of progress, but back to the sheath, I had a few folders that I wanted to make sheaths for so I did, and without a doubt they are really comfortable to wear.

Thanks for stopping in and taking a look see, and listening to my story

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

A few more Bowie's and sheaths tomorrow
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

MORE PICTURES

This sheath is for a small folder
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

TW I really enjoy reading your stories. They are great. I have never seen a pancake knife sheath. I can see why they are comfortable. Very nice job. I LIKE. Thanks for showing and I,ll tune tomorrow , same time , same place.  ;D KT

Bodie Bascom

TW absolutely love those pancakes!  They are beautiful, and the conchos really set them off.

bodie
Texas Peacemakers
NCOWS
SASS
SBSS
WARTHOG
NRA
TSRA

Ace Lungger

Howdy TW, :)
Man O Man you have a nice collection of knifes and sheaths!! They are AWESOME :o :o :o :o Your story realy fits the bill, they remind me of some of the stuff that I went threw in my younger days! Seems like all the cool shops that used to be are no longer! Too many Big Co. have ran all the little guys out, and that is a sad thing!!! From time to time, we loose track of what made us who we are. With out the small gun stores and the small diners, I don't think that my personality would be the same. I feel sorry for our youth today, yes they have the age of technoliges, but what they don't have is the one on one that we had  with those that we looked up to! I don't think nothing can replace the hands on learning that we got the first time we went rabbit hunting with our fathers or uncles, they taught us the right way to do things, not just a way to get threw life!!
I want to tell everyone that the pictures of TW's sheaths, do not do justice to there appeal!! I have a couple that TW has made for me, and I will allways treasure them!!
The best present in the world, is a gift that was made by the hand of a true friend!! I know for fact that I have made a lot of true friends on here, and i hope this following year, I can give back to this forum what it has given me!! :) :) :) :) :)
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

TW, those are really neat. I have been racking my brain and I can't remember ever seeing a pancake for a knife before so these are really interesting and well made also.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks KT, Bodie, Ace, and GB, I appreciate your kind words, it's been my pleasure to share these things and stories with you, GB, I know how you feel, I didn't understand what a pancake was either, besides the ones we eat, but everything they told be about them holding your knife close in was true, because you're not building a box which is what most company's do for folders, it's more of a pouch, so it doesn't stick out like the box type sheaths, and therefore it's a lot more comfortable to wear.

Thanks again for stopping in to take a look

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Tomorrow a couple more Bowie's

Marshal Will Wingam

Those pancakes are really cool, TW. It never occurred to me. I'll remember that when I need one for a folder.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Will, you'll have to give those Pancake sheaths a try one day. ;D

Howdy All

Well I guess I'm going ends this thread for now,I'll show the last sheath I made tomorrow, the sheaths and knives I'm showing today were made last year about this time, I wanted to make a couple of very good friends of mine something, so I thought about what a great gift my friend of long ago made me in the Bowie knife, so I decided to do just that, and thanks to WC for pointing me in the right direction for the knives, I was able to get three of the same knives. I made these sheaths out of 8 to 9 ounce veg-tan leather, and I used Fiebing spirit dye, and finished with a couple coats of Neatsfoot oil, and then  Bag-Kote and a couple coats of Skidmores Leather Cream.

So here they are, Thanks for stopping in to take a look see and listening to my story. :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Tomorrow I will show the last sheath I made

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

more pictures

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

more pictures

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, TW, you outdid yourself on these. The reinforced ends are a good look. I particularly like the one with the dark stitching. Impressive. Looking forward to the last one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Kid Terico

Well TW I made it back just in time. Thanks for the history. Those are some awesome knives and sheaths. Great design. You sure didnt let us down with this post. Waiting for tomorrow. THANKS , KT

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TW,
More great leather from your workshop! Those are some rugged high quality sheath's you are turning out. Your stories are interesting to read and your work is a pleasure to view. Keep em' coming.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

Howdy TW,  :)
I will have to stand right beside Johnny on this one, mighty fine Craftmanship on the leather!!! :o :o All three of them are AWESOME, and the bladed that fit in them, look top notch to me!!! my prefernce would be the one with the carved Oak leaves :o :o. But all of them are very pleasing to look at!!
Thanks for sharing!
ACE
P.S. I am pretty proud of everything TW makes, because he is my Mentor and a Friend!!!! 8)
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

What a way to finish. Those are some beautiful sheaths and great looking knives. I guess I should be alot nicer to you, My friends never gave me something like that ;) ;D

Kid Terico

Ace I dont know who your talking about but Ten Wolfs does AWESOME work. ??? :P ;D KT

JD Alan

Boy, you guys just keep coming up with more great examples of sheath designs. Thanks for sharing them
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com