Knives & Sheaths

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, November 05, 2009, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

Cool knives TW...If you go to Buck Owens Crystal palace there's a bunch of Nudie suits in there that Buck wore.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Gun Butcher

TW, Another beautiful sheath and very nice knife. Its great to have a collection like yours with the stories that go with them.
You are a lucky man.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

Thanks Guys for your comments, GCR your right about Buck Owens wearing Nudie's custom western wear, as did a lot of western movie stars and those in the entertainment business.
   GB and MW, thank you too for your comments.

My next knife is a large Bowie, with stag handle, I bought this one in the 60's too, and had Alfonso of Hollywood make a sheath to match my comp. fast draw rig, he did a great job on it, and I used to wear it to some of the shoots back then, I bought this knife from the Pony Express Gun Shop, for those that remember , this was one of my favorite gun shops, they had everything you could want, new and used guns, just about every gun made by most company's, and a full Archery section with range, with an on duty tech that made custom arrows while you would wait. they also had an on the premises Gunsmith Shop with two Gunsmith at all times, there store carried new and old, it was an Antique store as well as new, my friend bought a full Calvary saddle with all the accouterments and had it set up at home on a saddle stand, really cool stuff to say the least,  I  remember being in there one day when Johnathan Winters was their, and he was trying on an old Calvary uniform, one of the guys working there told me, he was a big customer of there's on old clothing and uniforms, anyway he was a hoot to be around, the guy was just naturally funny, just about everything that came out of his mouth had you rolling in stitches.
     Anyway here is that knife, I found it too heavy to carry for hunting, but for show it was OK.

Thanks for taking a look

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

MORE PICTURES

This knife was also from Germany, and was a polished carbon blade, these German knives at least at this period of time really kept and edge, once sharp you knew it would hang in there for a long time, and the balance was good on them too.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TW,

Your stories detailing the history and background of your Knife's are fascinating. It makes for very interesting reading. You have some great memories and treasures there Pard. Thank you for sharing this with us and please keep em' coming.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Josh Dabney

TWF,

I am really enjoying see your collection Pard,  as Johnny said keep'em comming please   ;D

Thanks for sharing, Josh

JD Alan

Great stuff there 10 W, I enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. Thanks!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Beautiful, TW. I like this one. It has a great shape to it. Yeah, maybe a bit heavy to pack around, but cool nevertheless. Is it a Solingen? Those are some of the best.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Kid Terico

TW I really like this big bowie. All us small people like the large bowies. That sheath is out of this world. It is just great. Thanks for the history on your items. TW even if u dont post a item please keep telling  the storis of your growing up. You have  fantastic background with all the big name shops and craftmen you have met. Thanks again. KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Every one

Will I'm sure pleased that you all enjoyed the story and the pictures, sometimes it's good to bring up the past, and remember the good things, that are no more, Johnny McCrae, Josh, JD, Marshall Will and Kid Terico, I appreciate your comments, Marshall Will this knife and the last one were made in Solingen Germany, and like you said they made some of the best, and still do. Kid Terico, if small hands like big knives, you would love this one, it really has some heft to it, but at the same time feels good in the hand, nice balance, it could easily be used as a clever to break bone or split a carcass, although I used the other one more for that than this one, this one would have been better for the job because of the weight of the knife. Johnny and Josh, more stories on the way. :o :D ;D

Thanks again Pards, for stopping in and taking a gander

Tomorrow I'll show another Bowie and a sheath I made for it,

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, TW. The blade I have to make a handle for is a Solingen. My dad's hunting knife was a Solengen, too. Outstanding steel.

Gun Butcher

TW, I'm gettin in here a little late but I'm lovin every minute of it. Another great knife and sheath and a killer story.
Hope you don't run out of them soon.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

GunClick Rick

T W,that story gave me gosse bumps AALLLLL OFER MA BOOOOODY :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

I'm getting a late start on this today, this story is going in a round about way, When I was a boy, I had several gun shops to shop at, but the one I liked best was old Fred the gunsmiths shop, old Fred was about 5'6" tall with curly red hair long side burns and a huge handle bar mustache, he was of a stocky build but always seemed wiry,and in his fifty's or early sixty's, he had a really foul mouth and reminded me of a captain of a Pirate Ship. Old Fred lived in the back of his shop, and had a port hole cut out of back wall so he could see his shop from his living quarters, on several occasions, he was broke into, and was known very well by the Burbank Police Dept., no one ever succeeded in robbing him, he would stick his 10 ga. shot gun through that port hole and let it rip, that seemed to solve the problem every time. I used to enjoy looking at all the new buck shot holes in the front of his shop after every attempted hold up,  so now you have an idea of what Fred was like, my Dad only had Sundays off and Fred was closed that day, so when I wanted to buy a new guns or ammo, my Mom had to go with me to Old Fred's  shop, and she HATTED IT, Fred's mouth used to drive her up the wall, even when Fred was on his best behavior it was raunchy, and me being me I loved to take my time looking at things,so Mom used to cringe while she waited for me to do my business, he had this Bowie knife in one of his show cases that really caught my eye, the price tag was well over what I as a Kid could pay, but I really liked just looking at it, which maid Mom nervous, she wanted to be out of there yesterday, this Bowie had an 8" blade with a beautiful brass guard that was thick and carved sorta, the handle was either Ivory or something that really looked like it, but with the high price it might have been Ivory, the handle was shaped like a coffin, and had several brass pins in it to hold the scales on, anyway I used to barter with Fred every time I was in the store, until one day it wasn't there anymore, I felt like I had lost an old friend, of course Old Fred had some off the wall things to say to me about that. Fast forwarding, I went to a gun show in Ventura California a few years ago, and while there I spotted this knife that really looked like the knife at Old Fred's, so I took a closer look, just to see  it was a knife that was made for looks more than use, but the shape of the blade was the same and the handle was close but it was in three pieces, so I paid my money for it and went home to make a period style sheath for it, this was my first time using spots, and it was fun, some day I may fine a knife that looks like that one at Old Fred's, but this will due until then.

Thanks for stopping in, and listening

Regards

Pancakes tomorrow

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Kid Terico

TW thank you for the history lesson. I get totally caught up in your stories so much that I would not care if any items were posted. Now after saying that it is a GREAT piece and if it wasnt for the memories you have on these pieces I would have tried to buy them from you.,but u cant put a price on memories. Thanks for every thing. Keep them comming. We are all looking forward to your next History Lesson. KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks WC and KT

As WC knows this was one of my attempts to make a sheath, I didn't know how to sew at that time, so I decided to use rivets on the seam line, and do the spots on a cover piece of leather so I could  bury the backs of the spot tine, all and all it came out OK, and it was one of the learning experiences.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, TW, that one works for me. I like it. Cool story.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on November 09, 2009, 05:01:58 AM
Howdy Pards

Thanks Guys for your comments, GCR your right about Buck Owens wearing Nudie's custom western wear, as did a lot of western movie stars and those in the entertainment business.
   GB and MW, thank you too for your comments.

My next knife is a large Bowie, with stag handle, I bought this one in the 60's too, and had Alfonso of Hollywood make a sheath to match my comp. fast draw rig, he did a great job on it, and I used to wear it to some of the shoots back then, I bought this knife from the Pony Express Gun Shop, for those that remember , this was one of my favorite gun shops, they had everything you could want, new and used guns, just about every gun made by most company's, and a full Archery section with range, with an on duty tech that made custom arrows while you would wait. they also had an on the premises Gunsmith Shop with two Gunsmith at all times, there store carried new and old, it was an Antique store as well as new, my friend bought a full Calvary saddle with all the accouterments and had it set up at home on a saddle stand, really cool stuff to say the least,  I  remember being in there one day when Johnathan Winters was their, and he was trying on an old Calvary uniform, one of the guys working there told me, he was a big customer of there's on old clothing and uniforms, anyway he was a hoot to be around, the guy was just naturally funny, just about everything that came out of his mouth had you rolling in stitches.
     Anyway here is that knife, I found it too heavy to carry for hunting, but for show it was OK.

Thanks for taking a look

Regards

That knife looks familiar.  What brand is it?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

GunClick Rick

Probably already told ya this ,but i lived in Ventura for awhile and spent most of my youth there.Lived down the street from Cabrillo Jr. high?On Christman st.,go to the end turn left and the bowling alley was right down the road.My cousin still live there,one works at the youth center off the freeway,my uncle was a principal of one of the schools.

I got my blade rusting away,i'm gonna catch up with you guys on the old look ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com