Knives & Sheaths

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, November 05, 2009, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy All

I thought with all the popularity with knives and sheaths, that I would show a few of mine, but I'll do it one at a time, this is the first knife I ever made, and I really enjoyed making it, I then made a sheath for it and tried to make it as antique as I could.

I'll be showing more as time goes by, most of these were made a few years ago when I first got interested in leather.

Thanks for taking a look

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

TW, that knife is your first?  Wow, the polish on the blade is fantastic, goes great with the handle.  Boy, whish I had that talent.\

:o :o :o

Arizona Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Kid Terico

TW now I know why I dont make knifes. Nice job. Hard to believe its your first its so good. KT

Gun Butcher

TW, once again I am amazed at all the things this bunch has in common. That is truly a great job on th knife and the sheath. Looking forward to seeing some of the others.
I have always been partial to that style.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks every one, I wish I could take credit for actually forging the blade, but it was one of the blades you can buy, and then you put what ever scales you want for a handle, it has to be pinned and epoxied then you have to do your shaping, you can buy the scales in a variety of materials, and they come in pieces of 3/8"x1 1/2" x5", you can also get different sized pins, so you can create your own style knife, Crazy Crows has a number of different style blades to choose from, and these knives don't cost an arm and a leg, but you end up with a pretty nice knife when through. It makes doing this much easier if you have the power tools to work with, I use an oscillating spinal sander and belt and dick sander combination, and a good power buffer to polish it all up when done. Here's some pictures, the first one is my sanding bench, and the one at the end with the targets above is my buffing station, I used my band saw to cut the pattern out on the scales, and my drill press to tap the holes, so you can see you need the tools to do the job, but once you have them they will usually last a life time, some of the tools I use now belonged to my Dad, I take good care of them and they serve me well, when you have the tools the possibilities are endless. In my lifetime tools have been some of the better investments that I've made with my money, they pay dividends over and over. :D     

Thanks for all your comments, it's much appreciated

Regards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

That's a right purty knife and a nice shop too T Dubya :) The only time i get to use my shop(garage) is when my wife wrecks her car every two years :-\ :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Dave Cole

Looks nice TW. Certainly nothing wrong with buying the blade, takes skills to do the handle and sheath as well.I started that way about 20 years ago and after a year I was making my own blades.Dave ;D

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TW,

Beautiful Knife and sheath! Can't believe this was your first knife. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

Congrats...they look terrific!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Josh Dabney

TenWolves,

Thats fine work indeed !  There are many pitfalls that can still occur when building a kit knife but it sure looks like you avoided those,  Great work.

I too got my start building "kit" knives but the knifemaking addiction soon takes over logic and the pocketbook, LOL.

Boy thats about the cleanest shop I've ever seen Pard.  I'd be ashamed to show pics of my tools all covered in steel dust.

Great work though, now let's see the rest of'em

-Josh

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Pards, you guys are a great support group, I appreciate all your comments, and that you took the time to take a look.

The next knife is a Marbles Cowboy knife, and I made the sheath to go with a number of my holsters and gun belts.

Gun Butcher

I,m with you Josh, are we sure we can trust a man with sharp objects and a shop that clean? :o ;) ;) ::)

TW, thats another good one. Kind of an odd shaped handle but I like it. It looks as though it would hold nice in your hand for when you are using it.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

GB & Josh

I guess I was just brought up wrong, I used to like spending time in my Dads work shop, and one of the conditions for me to be able to do that, were to put things back where they belong, and clean up when I was done, these habits were in steeled in me so much , that I've carried them with me all my life, for me, it just makes working more pleasurable, now if I had a shop where I was making knives like Dave & Josh, I would maybe not be so dang picky, being in the meat business all my life I learned to watch out for cross contamination, I guess that's what I try to do in my shop, by keeping different materials away from each other like wood/leather/metal and paints.  

Gun Butcher, I think we posted at the same time, you missed my last knife and sheath.

tEN wOLVES

Josh Dabney

TWF,

Another stunning sheath Pard.  You sure do like livin on the edge with yer stitchin don'tcha. 

I'm envious of your cleanliness !  I kinda always figured I wasn't gonna let stayin clean get in the way of gettin work done, LOL.  Usually don't even take the time to put on gloves fer stainin stuff.  I've got em, just never use'em.  figure a day or three with the poo fingers look'll help keep me humble.

-Josh

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Josh Dabney on November 06, 2009, 09:56:59 AM
TWF,

Another stunning sheath Pard.  You sure do like livin on the edge with yer stitchin don'tcha. 

I'm envious of your cleanliness !  I kinda always figured I wasn't gonna let stayin clean get in the way of gettin work done, LOL.  Usually don't even take the time to put on gloves fer stainin stuff.  I've got em, just never use'em.  figure a day or three with the poo fingers look'll help keep me humble.

-Josh
;D ;D ;D ;D Good one Josh, good luck with them POO STAINS, And thanks for the kind words on my sheath

Kid Terico

TW another great sheath. Like it. You must have a nice collection. KT

Gun Butcher

TEn Wolves, if you are talking about the Marbles knife its a beaut Pard.
Quote from: Gun Butcher on November 06, 2009, 08:46:43 AM

TW, thats another good one. Kind of an odd shaped handle but I like it. It looks as though it would hold nice in your hand for when you are using it.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks KT, I have a few knives, not like some pards, but a few, Ill post another one tomorrow morning.

Gun Butcher, thank you too, that cowboy knife does feel good in the hand, I have rather large hands, so I like something I can wrap my hands around, less fatiguing.

Kid Terico

TW not as clean as yours but heres where I work.KT

Kid Terico

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com