New Rifle Ques...44spl, 44.40, or 45colt?

Started by Cemetery, November 01, 2009, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Starr

Quote from: J.D. Yellowhammer on November 03, 2009, 06:04:22 AM
This just proves that black powder is the thinkin' man's propellant, in whatever caliber.  Unlike the mass produced, soulless/smokeless grey stuff.  It's like the difference between driving a Toyota Camry off a mile-long assembly line staffed by robots, and bombing down the highway in a '72 muscle car that you restored and built yerself.  ;D

And of course, .44-40 is the true vintage hot rod leader-of-the-pack.  ;D ;D ;D

Now that's gospel right there. :D ;D ;) :)
A work in progress.

Cuts Crooked

Iffin we're talkin' "vintage" the .45 has got it all over the 44-40. And when it comes to pure horse power....that puny lil .44 gets left in the dust. ;D :D ;D :D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Jefro

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on November 03, 2009, 09:22:05 AM
Iffin we're talkin' "vintage" the .45 has got it all over the 44-40. And when it comes to pure horse power....that puny lil .44 gets left in the dust. ;D :D ;D :D
What ??? The .45 was never a rifle caliber, that's a modern day invention. :o I'll take the 44/40 any day. ;D Of course I always liked Mopar :D

Jefro :)
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Fairshake

As you can see this subject brings out the opinions. I started shooting CAS with a Marlin 38 spl rifle and two 45 Colt revolvers. One revolver was a Colt and the other a Taurus Gaucho. I have been reloading and casting my own lead since around 1970. I'm telling you all of this so that you will see that you also can move through the process. August is correct in loading the 38 spl. but I wanted a 45 Colt rifle and got one from Steve Young AKA Nate Kiowa Jones. I shot this combo for about 6 months and then purchased a set of USFA 45 Colt premiums. I always loaded with a full case of 2F and 250 gr bullets that's Warthog status. You might decide that you want to become as fast as Lead Dispencer and leave BP all together or you might decide to stay with it and become historically correct. If you decide to become that way then you will have a 1873 0r 1892 in 44-40 and revolvers to match. I have been shooting a 44-40 1892 for about 3 months now and it is a much faster clean up as opposed to the 45 Colt. The Colt is not bad if you stay with the full case loads. I just ordered another set of 44-40 revolvers from Long Hunter. I will now have both to chose from. Many a pard goes through what I just posted and it's what makes our sport fun. You will if you stay at it change from your first set of guns and rifles or shotguns. Don't be scared of loading or using any caliber that you chose. You do how ever need to look at cost and availibilty of them all. You will have no trouble selling any 45 Colt or 44-40 guns or supplies if you change over. That's also true of the 38 spl. Later David
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Delmonico

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on November 03, 2009, 09:22:05 AM

Decided something a long while ago, based on what we know today about bullet design and such, (bet this really starts things going,) but I think "as loaded in the time" the 44-40 would be a deadlier round in a handgun.  Reason, them sharp almost pointed bullets of the 45 Colt.  The 44WCF had a much flatter meplat on it because of the tube magazines.  Look at any modern designed cast hunting bullet, they all pretty well have as big a meplat and still maintain enough areodynamics to make it down range.

Heck Elmer didn't like the factory bullet and designed one that was much better even though he prefered the 44 Special for it's thicker cylinder walls.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Grapeshot

Many years ago, I purchases a Navy Arms Henry in .44 WCF.  I had never loaded for the .44 WCF, but when I fired my first box of Winchester Cowboy Ammo out of it, I was stunned by how clean the cases came out of the chamber.  It was even better when I loaded those cases with BP as there was no back blast to sent the soot into the action.  I graduated to a .44 WCF Yellowboy a couple of years later and never looked back.  I had started out with a '73 in .45 Colt, but when I changed over to Black Powder The .45 Colt rifle was retired and I now own a '73 in .44-40 and life is great.  Reloading is a snap, even using an RCBS Rock Chucker to size seat and crimp the .44 Cases.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Deadguy

Dang it, seeing all these posts mentioning or hinting that 45 Colt is messy or bad in rifles because of "blowback" into the action make me say GRRR.  Anneal your cases and you will have no problems with it!
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Fingers McGee

Quote from: 44caliberkid on November 01, 2009, 07:00:08 PM
I shoot a '66 in the only caliber that should be considered, the 44 WCF.  'n that settles that!

+1

I shoot 3 or 4 monthlies each month in addition to an annual or regional every other month or so.  I use a Hornady L-N-L with RCBS 44-40 dies.  Loading Desperado .428 200 gr RNFP over fffg BP or Pinnacle using the L-N-L powder measure.  Have no problems with crushing cases as long as I'm paying attention to what I'm doing.

Besides - It's historically correct - not that I'm a caliber Nazi or anything like that   :D

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

FriscoCounty

Quote from: Fingers McGee on November 11, 2009, 06:41:12 PM
+1

I shoot 3 or 4 monthlies each month in addition to an annual or regional every other month or so.  I use a Hornady L-N-L with RCBS 44-40 dies.  Loading Desperado .428 200 gr RNFP over fffg BP or Pinnacle using the L-N-L powder measure.  Have no problems with crushing cases as long as I'm paying attention to what I'm doing.

Besides - It's historically correct - not that I'm a caliber Nazi or anything like that   :D

FM

Not for the 1866, it was only ever chambered for the .44 RF (AKA .44 Henry).  It was the 1873 that was originally chambered for .44 WCF (.44-40). 

The 1873 was chambered in .22 short, .22 long, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40.  The .38-40 model was introduced in 1879, the .32-40 in 1882, and the .22 version in 1888. 720,000 were produced overall.  About 19,000 were produced in .22.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Fingers McGee

QuoteNot for the 1866, it was only ever chambered for the .44 RF (AKA .44 Henry).  It was the 1873 that was originally chambered for .44 WCF (.44-40). 

IINM, there were some '66s that were chambered in 44-40 - not many; but some, and there were conversions done from the 44RF to 44-40.  There were NEVER any in 45Colt.

FM
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteIINM, there were some '66s that were chambered in 44-40 - not many; but some, and there were conversions done from the 44RF to 44-40.  There were NEVER any in 45Colt.

Not according to The Winchester Handbook by George Madis. The '66 was only factory chambered for the 44 Henry Rimfire round and a few were chambered for a centerfire version of the same round. Many '66s were later converted to other cartridges, but the carrier on the original 66s was too short to handle the longer 44-40 round. Modern replicas of the '66 have a slightly longer frame in the area of the carrier than the originals, so they can handle cartridges like the 44-40 and the 45 Colt. But the carriers on the originals were too short to be able to accomodate those rounds without some major surgery. It would have made more sense to just buy a '73 if you wanted to be able to fire the 44-40.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Fingers McGee

I guess I'm mistaken then about 44-40.  Mayhaps it was another 44 caliber centerfire cartridge??

Delmonico

Quote from: Fingers McGee on November 12, 2009, 06:42:43 PM
I guess I'm mistaken then about 44-40.  Mayhaps it was another 44 caliber centerfire cartridge??

The 44 Henry Flat Centerfire, same thing as the 44 S&W except it has a flat point bullet for the tube magazine.  I've seen examples of the round, just don't have a picture because it was years ago.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

FriscoCounty

Now that I've posted that the 1866 was only chambered in .44 Henry RF, I have found the following extract in another posting:

From THE HISTORY OF WINCHESTER FIREARMS, 1866-1980, 5th Ed., by Duncan Barnes;

page 12;
"Factory records indicate , however, that during later years occasional small lots of M/66 firearms were manufactured; the record of the last firearm assembled bears the date August 1898.  In 1891 1,020 M/66 component parts, on hand for many years, were used in the assembly of rifles chambered for the 44 "Henry" center fire cartridge and shipped to a firm in Brazil."

So, it looks like between 1991 and 1898 1,020 model 1866 rifles were 'manufactured' in CF.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Driftwood Johnson

Madis agrees, 1020 were converted to a centerfire version of the 44 Henry Rimfire and shipped to Brazil in 1891. That's what I said earlier.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Delmonico

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on November 14, 2009, 06:46:43 AM
Madis agrees, 1020 were converted to a centerfire version of the 44 Henry Rimfire and shipped to Brazil in 1891. That's what I said earlier.

And I explained the cartridge. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Wills Point Pete

Well, I vote for matching your revolvers so you only have one batch of ammo to remember. When I switched to black powder I was alarmed over the blowback monster stories I kept reading on the wire for us .45 Colt users. So I started taking precautions. I took a batch of cases and turned the necks thinner, like on the .44WCF, then I also annealed a batch. I loaded heavy charges under 250 grain bullets and had very minor blowback. Case life wasn't the greates with those thinned cases so I blew that off.

To make a long story short, as long as I stuck with the 250 grain bullets I could go all the way down to around the old Army load of 28 grains of powder with or without annealing. After a shoot I clean the bore of my rifle and then spray the inside of the action with Moose Milk, let it soak for a few minutes and then blow it out with the compressor or canned air for the keyboard. Every year or so I strip her down and go through it with a toothbrush but I don't lose sleep over it. The key seems to the 250 grain bullets, sized to around .454 and a fairly soft alloy. If the ally is too hard and the bullet too small we get gas blowing past the bullet before the case has fully expanded so we get lots of blowback.

It's funny, Dick Dastardly manages to shoot black in his .44 Extra Long Russian and never complains about blowback from those magnum cases which are as thick-walled as .45s. The key is heavy, soft bullets. Those bullets are also safer at the shoots, hard bullets shatter and bounce fragments all over from hell to breakfast while the soft slugs just flatten out and fall.

This is not to say that .44WCF and .38WFC don't work as well, they do. But you just haven't lived 'til you've stuffed the wrong cartridge into that rifle at a shoot.

Cuts Crooked

QuoteBut you just haven't lived 'til you've stuffed the wrong cartridge into that rifle at a shoot.

Amen pard! Amen!!!!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteBut you just haven't lived 'til you've stuffed the wrong cartridge into that rifle at a shoot.

I have been playing this game since 2001. All my Cowboy rifles (4 of them) are chambered for 44-40. Two of them are over 100 years old, so 45 Colt was just not an option. My pistols (more than I can remember right now) have always been chambered for 45 Colt. I ain't stuffed a 45 into my rifles yet, knock wood. Ya just have to pay attention at the loading table.

Knock Wood!

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on November 15, 2009, 07:39:49 PM

I ain't stuffed a 45 into my rifles yet, knock wood.

Knock Wood!

What's that old saying? "There are those who have, and there are those who will"  ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com