Lock stitch

Started by Skeeter Lewis, October 30, 2009, 04:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

Hey pards - sometimes when I sew I 'cast' to make a knot where the thread crosses. Is this really necessary? How many pards make a knot (in whatever way)? I find the thread lays better when I don't.

outrider

Instead of tieing a knot...back stitch two or three stitches so that the thread lies flat...run over with an overstitch wheel and you should be set.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Skeeter Lewis

Outrider, yeah, I backstitch to finish a line of sewing. I meant using an interlocking technique during the regular run of sewing.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hi Skeeter

What Outrider said is the way I do my sewing, but if I understand you right, are you talking about when you run short on thread and need to lock it off so you can start again with more thread? if so what I do is tie off the last little bit of thread, and then start with the new thread two or three holes behind where you tied it off, this will lock up the previous thread and then just continue sewing, when you know where you are going to tie it of, use you free hand stitch groover and make the last two or three holes a little deeper in the stitch line, so that the double thread in the last three holes won't stand out as much, be careful not to go too deep, use your over stitch wheel to smooth all your stitching out. When you get to the end of your stitching just back stitch three holes and cut your thread off. I use waxed linen thread, which tends to grab and hold very well. This is how I do it, I know there are other ways of doing this, but this works well for me.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Biscuit Joe

Skeeter Lewis

I sometimes do what you are saying, when I am looking for a good strong hold on my stitching where I haven't used glue. Mostly to keep my stitches together and tight while I make the next stitch.
But I really don't know if it truely makes a big difference in strength in a two needle saddle stich piece.

Buscuit Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com